PDA

View Full Version : Service Departments importance to you

6ballsisall
05-17-2007, 09:24 PM
If you were purchasing a NEW Mastercraft or for that matter, any other type of NEW boat, would you purchase from that dealer if you felt their service department was lacking quality service people??

Poll attached.

SkiDog
05-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I care a whole lot more about service than I do price. Just don't rip me off, cause I'll find out where you live!:D :mad:

88 PS190
05-17-2007, 09:35 PM
FOr a new boat then I would be looking at the service as the primary factor.

Really its the dealer who goes to bat when you need warranty.

for a used boat where they will probably tell me to pack sand anyway, I'll do the work myself or find a quality shop to do the work, not at marina pricing.

JohnE
05-17-2007, 10:10 PM
My first thought is if the dealer had a poor service department, why would you buy from him? Unless the price justifies it. Doesn't MC encourage you to purchase from the dealer where you plan to have it serviced? I may as well go on vacation someplace warmer and try to deal there.

But there's so much more to the equation. Are they honest and do they have integrity? Are they trying to improve their service dept. If they had these traits, I'd try to buy from them. Let's face it, good help in almost any profession is hard to find.

edit: A lot would also depend on whether I am in the mood for chicken.

KnoxX2
05-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Service is very important!

I want to know if I spend $50,000. When I come in I will get the service I need.

JohnE
05-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Service is very important!

I want to know if I spend $50,000. When I come in I will get the service I need.

So what would you do if the local dealer had a lousy service dept? Go out of area or buy another brand? I agree that service is important.

6ballsisall
05-17-2007, 10:51 PM
So what would you do if the local dealer had a lousy service dept? Go out of area or buy another brand? I agree that service is important.

Yep........or if that wasn't an option, another brand

KnoxX2
05-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I have done this before. Drove 250 miles to get our Tahoe because I could save $5000.00. As of buying another brand boat not on your life. I would drive to get the service. Do it now I drive 2 hours for service on my MC.

Leroy
05-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Would not even be a question if this was for a $50k-$60k car. Often poor service quality indicates many other potential problems during the purchase experience.

Chief
05-17-2007, 10:57 PM
If you were purchasing a NEW Mastercraft or for that matter, any other type of NEW boat, would you purchase from that dealer if you felt their service department was lacking quality service people??

Poll attached.

If I could not get the price and boat I wanted from a local dealer, I would expect to get great service from the local dealer if I bought a boat somewhere else. Unfortunately it does not work that way. Think of the money the local dealer loses over time for not offering or delaying service for a MC because you did not buy from them. I guess local dealers don’t think along my lines, but I know if you have a kicking service department that can make you tons of cash.

I guess I would like to have a better service department than a better price also.

JohnE
05-17-2007, 10:58 PM
I would drive to get the service. Do it now I drive 2 hours for service on my MC.

I agree .

LakePirate
05-17-2007, 11:05 PM

6ballsisall
05-17-2007, 11:10 PM

erkoehler
05-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Service is a major aspect of this business, and it is crucial that you are able to stand behind the product that you sell.

Whether or not you choose to buy a boat based on the service dept. is your decision, but long term it can only benefit you.

:)

6ballsisall
05-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Service is a major aspect of this business, and it is crucial that you are able to stand behind the product that you sell.

Whether or not you choose to buy a boat based on the service dept. is your decision, but long term it can only benefit you.

TRU DAT!!!

KnoxX2
05-17-2007, 11:29 PM

Well put Very well put:)

Farmer Ted
05-17-2007, 11:34 PM
I would not buy from a dealer with poor service

I drove to Conway Ar from Bossier City based on MC Boats of Arkansas Reputation

I was not disappointed

I will go back if Texas MasterCraft doesn't work out

Have yet to use TMC, but they have a great rep as well!

betsy&david Harrison
05-17-2007, 11:47 PM

Like the exact words comin from my mouth..well said ERK!

shepherd
05-18-2007, 12:48 AM
I voted "yes" but my real answer is that service reputation would be a factor in my overall buying decision. I would at least want a better deal - but not necessarily a WAY better deal.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
A boat. Doesn't matter. I would buy the boat from whomever I got the best price, AND best overall customer service. And THEN I would chose who gets the service.
Is there a rule I missed that says the selling dealer has to be the "servicing" dealer?

east tx skier
05-18-2007, 11:07 AM
When I bought my boat, like W4T says, it wasn't like I had to think about warranty service. Right boat, right price, done. But if I'm buying a boat under warranty, service is going to be one of my top considerations.

Prostar Rich
05-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Service was a key issue during my purchase of a MC. I elected to buy from the MC dealer that was located on my lake. I know I could have gotten a slightly better deal on the cost of the boat from a dealer that was located several hours away. Now fast forward to when I had a problem with the boat on a weekend. I took the boat to the dealer that I purchased the boat from located on my lake. I explained the problem and the dealer had a mechanic fix the problem while I waited.

Prostar Rich

G-man
05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Poor service = a poor boating experiance. If your looking for work there aren't enough certified tech around.

betsy&david Harrison
05-18-2007, 12:17 PM
We are going to visit the new place out in Valencia, Ca today on our way up to the lake. I'll let you know my opinion when we get back on Monday.

X2M
05-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Betsy...

Have you done any business with the dealer in Lemoore? They are now the closest dealer and I am wondering how they measure up.

And now to stay on topic...

We have bought 2 boats from a dealer that does not have a good service department (in my opinion). Sometimes you don't have a choice with dealers. In that situation if you want to own MasterCraft you learn how to do alot of the needed work yourself so you don't have to deal with them.

betsy&david Harrison
05-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Not yet. I can ask some friends in a few weekends..maybe this weekend about it though. I know a lot of people who ski out there that ski with us too.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
We are going to visit the new place out in Valencia, Ca today on our way up to the lake. I'll let you know my opinion when we get back on Monday.
If they "monitor" this site, I'd guess they may have robes and slippers ready awaiting your arrival now...:rolleyes: Oh, and maybe some bug spray....8p

Diesel
05-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I am lucky.........I have an incredible dealer who has unparalleled customer service. Too bad I have never needed thier service.

In the 10 years I owned my PS205 it never went in for service once. I do most repairs myself but other than a circulation pump, that boat was flawless and never once failed to start.

So far my 05 PS209 has only been back to the shop once for some very minor warranty issues and has had zero issues.

So in 13+ years of MC ownership I have had one warranty trip back to the dealer.

Take care of your stuff, do preventative maint. and you will not need a dealer's service department. :)

ttu
05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
diesel, i assume you bought from david's in okc and you don't use the new one up at grand.

Diesel
05-18-2007, 01:38 PM
diesel, i assume you bought from david's in okc and you don't use the new one up at grand.

Yep David's.

Eufaula mostly. Grand once or twice a year but I rarely take my boat...partner has a 38 Top Gun and a cruiser.