PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel

pkskier
05-17-2007, 08:19 PM
We are planning a trip to Cozumel next month, anyone been there recently? Any thoughts, ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

03 35th Anniversary
05-17-2007, 08:33 PM
My Ole Lady and I have been to Cancun. It's not to far from there it was really nice. We went to the Bahamas last summer and stayed at the Royal Sandals Resort. It was alot nicer and I like it better my self. But we had fun in both places and I would go back to either one.

wakesport
05-17-2007, 09:18 PM
We are planning a trip to Cozumel next month, anyone been there recently? Any thoughts, ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

We stayed at the Reef Club and enjoyed it very much.

etakk7
05-17-2007, 09:22 PM
don't use your credit card anywhere - we used it for a moped rental deposit and they made a copy of the card and ran up 7,000 in charges!

shepherd
05-17-2007, 11:30 PM
We've been there 3 times, all on a cruise ship so we only got to spend one day on the island each time. It's our favorite cruise stop in the western Caribbean. Our favorite thing to do is rent a car (convertible Suzuki) or scooter and drive to the windward (east) side of the island away from the crowds and tourist traps. That side of the island has miles and miles of uninhabited beach.

There's a real cool laid-back "Bob Marley" bar right on the beach with hammocks, beach chairs, etc. at the southern end of that coast. A few miles up the road is a casual restaurant called Coconuts that is on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean. The food is good and the view is tremendous. Those are the only two commercial places I know of on that side of the island. The rest is pretty much wild coast.

pq2
05-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Let me know if you come to cancun. My bout will be at the water so I will be glad to take you to ski.

jenglin
05-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I have heard Cozumel is the scuba diving mecca! My wife and I got scuba certified 3 years ago for our trip to Jamacia and weren't able to go. So we are planning a scuba trip this fall down in Cozumel. I have seen beautiful pictures and have heard nothing but great things about it. Have fun and try to go scuba diving if you get the chance. I don't think you'll regret it.

CHAR250R
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Went there a few years ago. It was a DUMP.

etduc
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Don't buy anything, when the cruise ships are in port.

On our last trip, ran into a couple, who thought it would be romantic... to stay in an old hotel... next the the square.
Where all the major bars are. Where all the cruise ship passengers go, for they're 3 hour excursions.

Non-stop noise, for 4 days.

The couple, was looking a little rough.

Lots of neat places to eat and drink. Great diving. Getting more expensive, but still a nice trip.

BrianM
05-18-2007, 10:56 AM
I have heard Cozumel is the scuba diving mecca! My wife and I got scuba certified 3 years ago for our trip to Jamacia and weren't able to go. So we are planning a scuba trip this fall down in Cozumel. I have seen beautiful pictures and have heard nothing but great things about it. Have fun and try to go scuba diving if you get the chance. I don't think you'll regret it.
Absolutely amazing diving. My wife and I went for or honeymoon 6 years ago and dove for 5 days. Highly reccomend the diving. Most of the reports I have heard about Coz lately is that unfortunately the cruise ships have kind of taken over and ruined a lot of the quaint island charm. As said above take a trip over to the windward side of the island. Very few people and lots of empty beach.

G-man
05-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Don't drink the water, not all food is as safe to eat as you think. Diving is as good as the dive boat operator and the sea conditions. It is mostly float diving, boat is not anchored. Don't drink the water.

shellabargerj
05-19-2007, 01:33 PM
If you want to SCUBA Dive, we recommend the Scuba Club Cozumel - it's on the south of San Miguel. Very reasonable prices - even if you have never dove before you can take a class and see fish & enjoy the water first day. The SCUBA is world-class there, although some areas are still rebuilding from the hurricane damage in 2005-2006.

As for around the island - I would recommend renting a jeep, getting a map and driving to the Windward side. Very unpopulated, nice bars there with a very relaxed feel. You can swim in some spots, or just sit in a chair in the surf. Fun times. Get as far as you can from downtown unless you like the crowded "carnivale" feel. It's fun down there for a while. Reasonable prices, most vendors will deal with you and bargain in U.S. dollars.

#47of100TeamMC
05-20-2007, 04:13 PM
OH cozumel... where to begin. As already stated... DO NOT use anything except cash. When cruise ships come in... stay away from down town. kinda fun to see the ships, cuz they come in soo close to the docks. But because of the hurricane damage, they ferry people in from out a few hundred yards. Diving USED to be great there. Hardly any coral left. We rented a house so can't say anything about other accomodations. But there was supposed to be EXCELLENT scuba and snorkel out our patio door on the beach. all we saw was a few crab and a few fish swimming around broken off chunks of concrete. No coral to be seen. We rented a car from "less Pay" I don't remember how much it was but by FAR the cheapest you'll ever find. Crappy cars, but who cares, the windows are down all the time, and the roads are worse.

As far as food, all you need to know is go to PRIMA's it's a few blocks from the main drag by all the boats... you'll LOVE IT. balcony seating. Excellent food! the BEST Lobster I've ever had Period! You won't be dissapointed I promise.

Enjoy!