PDA

View Full Version : Dingy vinyl

BearX1
05-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I have an '06 X1 and have been attempting to bring the vinyl back to its bright white luster. I've tried Babe's with no success and dish soap and warm water, with no success (both with scrub brushes). Can anyone recommend a cleaner that will dig in and clean the vinyl back to it's new condition?

Thanks for your help.

BrianM
05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Fantistic with a soft brush works very well for deep cleaning and it at least used to be on the list of approved cleaners. I rinse with water after use and apply 303 for protection.

chevy08bud
05-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Lightly scrub the vinyl with a Magic Eraser. My wife and I did this to our boat and were amazed at the results. We had already cleaned the boat to our liking, but always had a little discoloration down in the cracks and pores of the vinyl. I simply wiped the magic eraser over the vinyl and could actually see the path that the sponge had taken. Went from kind of white to brite white. Make sure the sponge is wet, and you don't have to scrub hard, just wipe over the area.

cst573
05-17-2007, 04:47 PM
303 makes a vinyl cleaner as well as aprotectant to use afterwards. Works well.

chevy08bud
05-17-2007, 04:54 PM
If you do go the magic eraser route, it will take off any protectant that you have applied (303, meguires, etc.) so make sure to apply conditioner and protectant afterwards.

BearX1
05-29-2007, 02:02 AM
Well the search continues. I tried the magic eraser, and while it did a good job brightening the surface, it did not clean out the grooves of the vinyl . . . maybe my expectations are too high. I'll next try the Fantastic and brush.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

bigmac
05-29-2007, 07:42 AM
G&T (now called Global Products Solutions), the people who make the marine vinyl used by MC and most other upscale boat maker has removed Fantastik from their "approved" list of vinyl cleaners due to breakdown of the backing adhesion to the vinyl and actual damage to the vinyl. I believe they also make 303. Look at their website (http://www.gtglobalproductsolutions.com/marine/vinyl_cleaning_guide.pdf)for more info on recommended cleaners and cleaning techniques. Coincidentally, they have their own vinyl cleaner (G&T Vinyl Finish) which AFAIK is regarded as an excellent cleaner. Downside is that it's hard to find. You can get it from them, I think, but I found it on this web site (http://www.veada.com/catalog/display.php?product_id=174), $11.50 per bottle.

Don't use 409, and don't use bleach-containing cleaners as they will deteriorate the stitching.

shepherd
05-29-2007, 08:35 AM
I saw 303 vinyl cleaner (not the canvas/bimini cleaner) at the store last week. Is this a new product from them? I've been using 3M's vinyl cleaner along with the 303 protectant - probably overkill because 3M claims its cleaner conditions and protects the vinyl too. What do you guys think?

BrianM
05-29-2007, 08:35 AM
G&T... has removed Fantastik from their "approved" list of vinyl cleaners ... Coincidentally, they have their own vinyl cleaner (G&T Vinyl Finish)

Somehow I am guessing that this is more than a coincidence. Fantastik has been on the approved list for years. Although I rarely use it I have had great results on hard to clean spots and have seen no ill effects. I will continue to use it as needed.

bigmac
05-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Can't argue with success. As for me, Fantastik vs G&T's miracle cleaner is six of one, half-dozen of the other IMHO. Nothing more than a couple of clicks on a web site and I can have the stuff delivered to my door and see if it works, so I think I'll give it a try.

etakk7
05-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Somehow I am guessing that this is more than a coincidence. Fantastik has been on the approved list for years. Although I rarely use it I have had great results on hard to clean spots and have seen no ill effects. I will continue to use it as needed.

Agreed, although it sounds like Fantastik changed their formula to include an anti-bacterial ingredient that is the reason it is no longer on the approved list.

Diesel
05-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Agreed, although it sounds like Fantastik changed their formula to include an anti-bacterial ingredient that is the reason it is no longer on the approved list.

Yep, the formula has changed. It used to be the recommended cleaner for all our fabrics. It was retested and found to be causing premature breakdown of all our fabrics. It was breaking down the UV inhibitors in the materials greatly shortening the life of the fabrics.

Kummer
05-29-2007, 09:41 AM
My buddie just used this stuff and I am SOLD...

"BABE'S Seat Soap cleans vinyl, plastic and leather surfaces and is specifically formulated to lift dirt, scum and suntan oil without harming or drying out the surface. Especially suited for the extreme conditions of marine environments, BABE'S Seat Soap has a conditioning base solution that enhances the natural qualities of your interior surfaces while it cleans.

No pre-washing is necessary; spray BABE'S Seat Soap directly on upholstery and wipe with a clean towel. For deep crevices or stains rub with a soft brush before wiping off.

BABE’S Seat Soap has been tested and approved for use by the leading boat manufacturers including Malibu and Mastercraft. Keep BABE'S Seat Soap on hand to keep your seats looking sweet. Sweet Seats!

http://www.babesboats.com/prodSeatSoap.php (http://www.babesboats.com/prodSeatSoap.php)