PDA

View Full Version : How do you Polish around lettering?

beatle78
05-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi guys,

I'm going to be using a rotary buffer and was wondering how you buffer around the lettering without destroying them?

macrogp18
05-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Where did you get that cover?

TMCNo1
05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi guys,

I'm going to be using a rotary buffer and was wondering how you buffer around the lettering without destroying them?
Tape them out with masking tape to protect them.

DooSPX
05-17-2007, 11:07 PM
masking tape for the painters tape works great! thats exactly what I used

etakk7
05-17-2007, 11:10 PM
masking tape - I didn't use the rotary between the letters. I may do the area between the letters by hand someday but believe me after your whole back end is improved you won't notice it there

erkoehler
05-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Not to be negative, but with the current condition of the boat, I'd pull all the decals off and go to town with the buffer trying to get that transom back to good shine that is consistent throughout.

Those decals shouldn't be too hard to replace if you wanted them.

Jesus_Freak
05-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I just buffed mine with a rotary unit (pics in Shep's restoration thread). My transom looked much like yours. My lettering was not in nearly as good of shape, though. So....I just went for it. I compounded the letters along with the gelcoat. It was the lazy way, but my letters needed the axe anyway.

shepherd
05-17-2007, 11:37 PM
I buffed right over my letters, but they were the flat decals. Didn't hurt them at all. I probably wouldn't do that on the drip-molded decals on my new boat. Looks like you have raised letters on yours?

beatle78
05-18-2007, 07:59 AM
thanks guys..... erk, how much are new letters for the back?

hehe, I've already blown my budget with the CFO this year with the tower, pp, and some replacement parts..... her being pregnant doesn't help either... hahaha

beatle78
05-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Oh, I got the cover on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Mastercraft-OEM-Mooring-Cover-03-04-205-X-Sand_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26447QQihZ005QQite mZ150118598128QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

They say it's the oem cover. Not sure, but it fits, looks, and waterproofs very nicely.

Tim205
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Oh, I got the cover on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Mastercraft-OEM-Mooring-Cover-03-04-205-X-Sand_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26447QQihZ005QQite mZ150118598128QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

They say it's the oem cover. Not sure, but it fits, looks, and waterproofs very nicely.

Beatle - I got the same cover. Are you getting any residue from using the cover? I am!

beatle78
05-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Tim,

hmmm... I just put it on a week ago.... so I'm not sure yet.... describe residue????? Did you call them and tell them what was happening?

Tim205
05-22-2007, 08:56 PM
There seems to be a coating on the inside of the cover (some type of waterproofing I imagine). The coating has left a film of residue on the surfaces of the boat that come into contact with the cover (winshield, rubrail, deck. I spent all most all day Sunday cleaing it up and rewaxing. I started another thread on the matter, and seems that others are experiencing the same problem. I'm hoping that the problem goes away. Some say it gets better, some say it doesn;t go away. I haven't contacted the OEM manufacturer (Sunsports I think?) yet, might tomorrow. Tim.

TMCNo1
05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Most boat covers/tent/car/canvas/tarpoline material was once treated with a parafin wax based solvent that soaked into the fabric and when the solvent evaporated it made the fabric water resistant. Some of the fabric dye would penetrate the wax and also lint on the fabric would then come off with the wax when it came in contact with the various surfaces on the boat. Our original red MC cover did it till the wax was worn away in the areas of contact and we had to put towels/sheets on the upholstery to prevent it when we used it. Our present gray cover never did leave residue and I have a new red cover that we have never used, but expect it to do it! Mineral Spirits will remove it from the upholstery, followed by your favorite protectant and wax will remove it from all other areas in most cases. Could be the same problem with todays cover fabrics, but just a different type waterproofing medium.

beatle78
05-23-2007, 08:35 AM
hmmm.... what color cover do you have Tim?

I have the Sand/Tan color one.

Tim205
05-23-2007, 09:11 AM
hmmm.... what color cover do you have Tim?

I have the Sand/Tan color one.

I have grey...Tim

beatle78
05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I'll let you know if I see anything.... right now my boat is so filthy I probably wouldn't even notice (the cover blew off 3 times in rainstorms last fall and I gave up cleaning it.) Once all my current projects are done, I'll clean it up nice nice and report back to you.