PDA

View Full Version : Riser Bolts

OhioProstar
05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
I searched for an answer on this and really didn't come up with much. What is the proper tool to remove the rear hex bolts on a Indmar 350 exhaust riser? I saw a reply that offered an option that included cutting down a standard hex...but that can't be what Indmar uses to tighten the nuts. Will a ball end hex give you enough torque to break it loose?

JLeuck64
05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Man, I would be afraid of stripping out the fastener head using one of those ball type hex wrench. Just sacrifice the right size allen wrench that fits the fastener and cut it to length so it will fit. Then use a box end wrench to loosen.

trickskier
05-17-2007, 10:40 AM
I definitely would not use a ball end...........I agree with above find the right size and cut it down to fit...........Good Luck

JimN
05-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I used ball end Allen wrenches all the time. If it's the right size and a good quality tool, it won't strip any easier than a regular one. Make sure the bolt isn't frozen in place, just like any other removal but they work fine. I think they used a high grade number machine screw on them.

OhioProstar
05-17-2007, 10:49 AM
So Jim, just to clarify, the ball end Allen is what you use to remove the rear riser hex bolts?

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Man, I hate those things. Took them to the auto mechanic down the street when needed to get them off. PB Blaster had met its match.

JimN
05-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I used the ball end ones for the front ones, too. Why waste time changing tools when I was on the clock? Besides, I wasn't using a $6 set, anyway. As soon as they showed any signs of wear, I had the Snap-On guy there to replace them. Doesn't mean I wouldn't give them a little "love tap" to break them loose, though.

The ones I have go onto a ratchet wrench, I don't use the other ones.

OhioProstar
05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
20 minutes to change both sides with the ball end allen's. Thanks Jim.

JimN
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
I had a sawed-off Allen wrench and it was a Royal PITA and then I bit the bullet on the ball ends. Choir of angels, the whole bit.