PDA

View Full Version : Newer Econo Car or Used Luxury Car

rodltg2
05-17-2007, 01:25 AM
ive been searching for a second car to make a daily driver for some time now .i want something to save on gas stattion trips sand an easier car to drive around town than my big dodge truck. at first i considered getting a small SUV like the escape or a Scion xB and decal it up with my company logo's. ive decided against that because i dont want to drive around a billboard all the time. so now im looking at cars. i dont want to spend over 18K including fees. my dilemna is whether to buy a used nice car like a 2000-2002 BMW or a newer econo car like a 2005-2006 mazda or toyota ... any ideas??

wiltok
05-17-2007, 07:39 AM
I am in the same situation - considering a 2006 Honda Civic - should come in less than 18K. I haven't test driven one yet - but am planning to in the next week.

Ben
05-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Used camry or accord, maybe '03-'04. '06 will still be trying to get too much. If you go with the higher end used car (BMW), all of your service parts & work will cost more. Plus you'd be going older, which means more work to be done. I've had good luck with used accords so my truck can sit...

milkmania
05-17-2007, 09:06 AM
I've really been eyeing an black VW Jetta here at local good 'ol boy dealership here in town

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Well Rod, I appreciate your situation of wanting a nice car thats easy to get around in, and good on gas, but given all the knowledge that I recently gained here, the only real option I can see for you is to get a 3/4 ton diesel. I mean, thats what Ric, WFT, and Staristar would do.

dmayer84
05-17-2007, 09:28 AM
I've really been eyeing an black VW Jetta here at local good 'ol boy dealership here in town

I had the electrical system on my 98 Jetta die on me.

6ballsisall
05-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Rod, I just did this recently. I started w/ a BMW 5 series that turned out to be a money pit... they are GREAT cars and alot of fun to drive however parts are really steep. I like the build quality of the european cars (and styling) so I ended up selling (for a loss :rolleyes: cuz I disclosed the problems I bought....) an Audi A6 that I LOVE! Outside of the European cars, I'd go Toyota.

BrianM
05-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Rod, I just did this recently. I started w/ a BMW 5 series that turned out to be a money pit... they are GREAT cars and alot of fun to drive however parts are really steep. I like the build quality of the european cars (and styling) so I ended up selling (for a loss :rolleyes: cuz I disclosed the problems I bought....) an Audi A6 that I LOVE! Outside of the European cars, I'd go Toyota.
So you traded one set of European problems for another. Audis look and drive great but the reliablity reports are horrible. Guess you didn't get enough with the Durango and BMW :rolleyes:

ive been searching for a second car to make a daily driver for some time now .i want something to save on gas stattion trips sand an easier car to drive around town than my big dodge truck. at first i considered getting a small SUV like the escape or a Scion xB and decal it up with my company logo's. ive decided against that because i dont want to drive around a billboard all the time. so now im looking at cars. i dont want to spend over 18K including fees. my dilemna is whether to buy a used nice car like a 2000-2002 BMW or a newer econo car like a 2005-2006 mazda or toyota ... any ideas?? I say buy a new or couple of year old Honda Civic. They get 35+ on the freeway and are nice driving cars for the $$ and the size. Not the most exciting thing out there but it is a more than capable, comfortable and reliable commute car.

6ballsisall
05-17-2007, 10:22 AM
So you traded one set of European problems for another. Audis look and drive great but the reliablity reports are horrible. Guess you didn't get enough with the Durango and BMW :rolleyes:

I am hoping your wrong there Brian! I bought a certified Audi (warranty) so hopefully all is well. Think positive brutha!! :cool:

dmayer84
05-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Heres a nice Daewoo for ya http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Daewoo-Lanos-S_W0QQitemZ300110437366QQihZ020QQcategoryZ12478QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 11:13 AM
My vote is 2--3 year old Honda or Toyota. When I got tired of the truck as a daily driver, I found a five year old Accord at my local Honda dealer and got it for a song. It had over 100k miles on it. Got them to throw a timing belt in as part of the deal and did a tune up when I got it home. Knock wood, it has been extremely reliable.

Jkelly
05-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I had the same issues. I have a 900 mile aweek commute. I also drove a 3/4 ton dodge diesel 4x4. I was spending about 800 dollars amonth in diesel. I did not want to trade the truck, because I need something to pull my toys with. So I found a 99 VW Beetle Diesel for 6K. It gets about 50 MPG, great to drive in New Orleans, lots of room (I am 6' 220), but does not have alot of power.

I tired driving my wifes Volve XC90 but she treaten to go get another one for her because she can't get in my truck very well (She is 4'10)

Monte
05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Big
Money
Wasted

Sorry fellas, the used Honda's, Nissans, and Toyota's get my vote for the bang for the $$ buck.
I am looking for a 02-05 Ford Focus myself.

duckguy
05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Cant beat a toyota!

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Cant beat a toyota!

I'm a fan of the 06 Camarys.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I think 3/4 ton diesels are a great option.

rodltg2
05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
i was thinking the same thing on the bmw, i definalty dont want a money pit. i need something reliable to commute to my other store 80mi away. lately ive been spending about 500 a week on gas , but thats because of towing the boat around too. i think i'll lean toward the honda, toyota route.

rodltg2
05-17-2007, 12:06 PM
what about a mazda 3 or toyota matrix??

BrianM
05-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Both descent cars. Although the mileage will not be as good as a Civic or a Carolla. If you are thinking of the Matrix the Potiac Vibe is the same car and can usually be had for less $$.

JKTX21
05-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Used camry or accord, maybe '03-'04. '06 will still be trying to get too much. If you go with the higher end used car (BMW), all of your service parts & work will cost more. Plus you'd be going older, which means more work to be done. I've had good luck with used accords so my truck can sit...

Werd to that. Our family has a '98 3-Series that is supposed to the the commuter car, but the maintenance is so high on it, it usually sits parked in the driveway and I take the tank to work.

I'd recommend a Civic as well. I had one as a second car for a long time, but sister needed a car so I let it go :mad: Maintenance is cheap, fuel efficient, etc.

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Werd to that. Our family has a '98 3-Series that is supposed to the the commuter car, but the maintenance is so high on it, it usually sits parked in the driveway and I take the tank to work.

And if you get one with the low profile tires on it, replacing those is $$$

rodltg2
05-17-2007, 08:18 PM
drove the matrix ......:(

Leroy
05-17-2007, 08:34 PM
You could get a nice Acura or Lexus in that price range. THey get excellent care, some coming off lease, and I don't think as many people are after the used Acura's and Lexus's as they are Honda's and Toyotas.

Leroy
05-17-2007, 09:01 PM
EPA Fuel Economy:
City: 19 Highway: 29 Available Engines:
225-hp, 3.2-liter V-6
260-hp, 3.2-liter V-6
Available Transmissions:5-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual
2002 Acura, 40k miles, $18k
Acura in Cars.com (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_1_%7CB-18000%7CN-N%7CR-500%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-46202&aff=starnews&paId=195300608&recnum=5&leadExists=true)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Rod, I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish.
I will add my $0.02. I went through a corolla for the same reason, nothing but headaches, POS...Not worth it whatsoever, the ONLY good thing about it was I made $1,000.00 profit off some sucker that wanted to make the same mistake I did.
On that same note, a guy I talk to on occasion, just bought a '98 Camry, thought he'd save himself some dough the same way. After driving it a few months, the car now sits in his driveway while he decides if he will put a new engine in it (something about a hole in the engine block) or send it to the junkyard.....

With that said, an econo car "on the side" does not ALWAYS work out for the better.

I have been told late 90's Infinity's are solid runners to be had cheap.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Diesel, manual trans??? How much?

east tx skier
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Diesel, manual trans??? How much?

Since you mentioned the manual transmission, does anyone know if you see the same couple of mpg fuel economy savings from using the tiptronics like are found in the newer volkswagens as you do with a regular stick/clutch combo? My car now is the first automatic (car) I've owned and I really miss having a manual tranny.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
And I have to ask the follow up question for those that have the tiptronic......Who really uses that feature anyway....

6ballsisall
05-18-2007, 12:12 PM
And I have to ask the follow up question for those that have the tiptronic......Who really uses that feature anyway....

My Audi has the Tiptronic in it. I use it quite a bit! It's REALLY fun to drive in Tip mode!! :D

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 12:21 PM
My Audi has the Tiptronic in it. I use it quite a bit! It's REALLY fun to drive in Tip mode!! :D
Mine has it too(Can't remember if they call it tiptronic though), and I think to myself....WHY??

I think you need to answer ETS's question next, how much better is the economy because of it? Or should I say, how much worse is it because your foot is to the floor....:rolleyes:

rodltg2
05-18-2007, 12:28 PM
well i finally pulled the trigger and bought me some new wheels. kind a went a differerent direction though.

dmayer84
05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
What did you get?

6ballsisall
05-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Mine has it too(Can't remember if they call it tiptronic though), and I think to myself....WHY??

I think you need to answer ETS's question next, how much better is the economy because of it? Or should I say, how much worse is it because your foot is to the floor....:rolleyes:

I haven't owned it long enough to give a good MPG estimate IMO. I was hoping for a little better mileage on the car, I average about 21-22 mpg in Atlanta driving conditions. I haven't been able to get her on the open road and let her stretch her legs. However I will Sunday as I drive to Nashville. I would gather Tiptronic makes your mileage a little lower cuz you tend to drive more "spirited" with it :cool:

X2M
05-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Since you mentioned the manual transmission, does anyone know if you see the same couple of mpg fuel economy savings from using the tiptronics like are found in the newer volkswagens as you do with a regular stick/clutch combo? My car now is the first automatic (car) I've owned and I really miss having a manual tranny.

ICBW, but I think there is a difference in the fuel injection in the VW's '06 and up...dealer mentioned something about it.

We went from an '05 to an '06 GTI over a year ago. The '05 GTI had the tiptronic and we did not get as good of mileage as we thought we would. The '06 GTI has a manual transmission and we get much better gas mileage.

So, I don't know if the mileage differences were because of the tiptronic vs. manual or the newer fuel injection.

We have owned a couple of VW's over the years and have been very happy with them.

:twocents:

east tx skier
05-18-2007, 12:36 PM

If I was forced into a VW automatic, I would. I tend to shift a lot in the Honda.

So another follow up, in general, why do you get better mileage with manual versus automatic?

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
well i finally pulled the trigger and bought me some new wheels. kind a went a differerent direction though.
Hmmmm......Electric, Hybrid, Propane, Hydrogen, Motorcycle, Scooter, forklift......What???? Decided to drive the Lambo. instead?

BrianM
05-18-2007, 02:24 PM
If I was forced into a VW automatic, I would. I tend to shift a lot in the Honda.

So another follow up, in general, why do you get better mileage with manual versus automatic?
Not all manual transmissions do get better than the autos. There are some out there where the autos actually get better mileage. The 2007 Honda Civic is an example. Both the Auto and Manual are rated at 30mpg city The Auto is rated at 40mpg highway while the Manual is rated at 38mpg.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Not all manual transmissions do get better than the autos. There are some out there where the autos actually get better mileage. The 2007 Honda Civic is an example. Both the Auto and Manual are rated at 30mpg city The Auto is rated at 40mpg highway while the Manual is rated at 38mpg.
Maybe they take into consideration the kids will be racing each other with them....:rolleyes:

My fuel mileage tends to go WAY down in anything with a manual trans. Almost always directly relates to the frequency of tire replacements.:D

kah68
05-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Well Rod, I appreciate your situation of wanting a nice car thats easy to get around in, and good on gas, but given all the knowledge that I recently gained here, the only real option I can see for you is to get a 3/4 ton diesel. I mean, thats what Ric, WFT, and Staristar would do.

The problem with this is my 06' D-Max gets 13 MPG around town and only 21 highway. If you drive a lot of miles and do not need a truck all the time a cheap econo box will save you some money in then end over 3 or 4 years, but to me, more importantly it will keep the miles low on my $ 60,000.00 CDN truck. I am hoping to get 10 years out of this truck. But everyone has their own way of looking at things.

maristarman
05-18-2007, 04:03 PM
I went through the same thing about a year ago.

Ended up going with a late 90's Lexus.

Couldn't be happier (although the $45 windshield wiper blades were a drag).

Reliable, luxurious, and (relatively speaking) inexpensive.

What "different direction" did you go in?

Did Wakecraft expand into the automotive industry? :D

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 04:09 PM
What "different direction" did you go in?

Did ******** expand into the automotive industry? :D
Oh no, you didn't, yes you did..........:toast: :purplaugh

BrianM
05-18-2007, 04:42 PM

You can't leave us hanging with a post like that. What did you buy????

rodltg2
05-18-2007, 10:45 PM
here it is just got it home with some daylight left for a pic... kind of went the lux car and econo...:D

Monte
05-18-2007, 10:46 PM
here it is just got it home with some daylight left for a pic... kind of went the lux car and econo...:D

Now THAT"S what I'm talkin about.. Who said NISSAN??? Who??? Nice wheels rod!!

rodltg2
05-19-2007, 10:48 AM
thanks, i just ddnt like any of the econo cars i drove. so i decided to spend a little bit more...and get something i really like.

BrianM
05-19-2007, 11:51 AM
thanks, i just ddnt like any of the econo cars i drove. so i decided to spend a little bit more...and get something i really like.

Should be fun to drive and while not exactly an economy car it ought to get a whole lot better mileage than your Dodge truck.

RexDog1
05-20-2007, 09:43 PM
ICBW, but I think there is a difference in the fuel injection in the VW's '06 and up...dealer mentioned something about it.

We went from an '05 to an '06 GTI over a year ago. The '05 GTI had the tiptronic and we did not get as good of mileage as we thought we would. The '06 GTI has a manual transmission and we get much better gas mileage.

So, I don't know if the mileage differences were because of the tiptronic vs. manual or the newer fuel injection.

We have owned a couple of VW's over the years and have been very happy with them.

:twocents:

Wow are you a guy???? :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow are you a guy???? :rolleyes:
I was wondering who gained access to her user name and password....;) Or she got the owners manual thingy out of the glove box thingy for a quick read...

(I am expecting a "whatever" soon..);)