PDA

View Full Version : Hand held GPS?

victorff
05-16-2007, 11:34 PM
I need some help on a hand held GPS. My husband is on this site a lot, I was hoping to get some advice and ideas. He wants to have something for when we are out the boat.

bigmac
05-16-2007, 11:45 PM
I need some help on a hand held GPS. My husband is on this site a lot, I was hoping to get some advice and ideas. He wants to have something for when we are out the boat.It's all about the $$$. If you want it for accurate speed and distance measurment, any cheap Garmin will do. If you want it for actual navigation, then you'll want a Garmin with mapping capability.

A basic Garmin hand-held with waypoints but no mapping will run ya about $100 or less. If you want accurate mapping with turn-by-turn driving directions, you'll pay over $400 plus another $120 for the mapping software.

Look at http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us -- get an idea of what features you want and how much you want to spend. Without us knowing those answers, no one here can help you much. Not that they won't try....

victorff
05-16-2007, 11:55 PM
It's his b-day on Friday and I'm lookin to spend maybe $200. I don't think he would need mapping capabilities. Do you have any model#"s I could start with? Thanks for your help.

bigmac
05-17-2007, 12:05 AM
It's his b-day on Friday and I'm lookin to spend maybe $200. I don't think he would need mapping capabilities. Do you have any model#"s I could start with? Thanks for your help.

GPS 72 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=214)
GPS Map 76 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=169) ($199 retail). I recommend this one in that price range.
GPS 60 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=6446) is also a nice unit

victorff
05-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Perfect, thanks again.

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 10:19 AM
It's all about the $$$. If you want it for accurate speed and distance measurment, any cheap Garmin will do. If you want it for actual navigation, then you'll want a Garmin with mapping capability.

A basic Garmin hand-held with waypoints but no mapping will run ya about $100 or less. If you want accurate mapping with turn-by-turn driving directions, you'll pay over $400 plus another $120 for the mapping software.

Look at http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us -- get an idea of what features you want and how much you want to spend. Without us knowing those answers, no one here can help you much. Not that they won't try....

There was a fire sale a few weeks ago on Garmin GPSes for the car on Amazon. I think they were trying to clear out some of the older street pilots to make way for their newer models. I picked up a c340 for about 65% off msrp shipping included. Didn't look at the handhelds, but might be worth checking to see if the mapping ones dropped a bit.

nuckinfutz
05-17-2007, 10:51 AM
My advise.... Steer far away from the Magellan. Sounds like a great Idea to buy a handheld and purchase maps (USA Lakes). I purchased one, and found the customer service to be the worst experiance of my life.

Long story short... Took 3 months before I could aactually get a map on the thing.

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 10:56 AM
My advise.... Steer far away from the Magellan. Sounds like a great Idea to buy a handheld and purchase maps (USA Lakes). I purchased one, and found the customer service to be the worst experiance of my life.

Long story short... Took 3 months before I could aactually get a map on the thing.

I've had 3 Garmins and they are great units and customer service has been very good. I bought a used Magellan from a guy on ebay and never could get it to get a signal before I sent it back to him for a refund.

atlfootr
05-17-2007, 11:37 AM
need help on a hand held GPS. Husband's on this site a lot, hoping to get advice and ideas. He wants something for when we're out the boat.I use a handheld Garmin GPS Map175, bought holder to use when driving on lakes, works ok.
Wound definitly recommend you spend a little more buy one w/ a larger screen, color and dashbag mount instead.

Ole Miss Rebels
05-17-2007, 11:42 AM
i just bought a garmin 396 C. it was on closeout at West Marine. it was originally $1000. I got it for $600. plus i had a 10% off coupon for electronics. it is a very good unit with navigation, XM ready, and XM weather ready. I bought it primarily for the real-time weather radar. I have been caught out on the lake too many times. Now I can see over the horizon and tell when we are fixing to get blasted by a thunderstorm. I can now get out of the lake before everyone else knows what's fixing to happen, thereby avoiding the log jam at the boat ramp and the inevitable getting stuck loading during the leading edge of the storm. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Doug G
05-17-2007, 11:58 AM
I use a handheld Garmin GPS Map175, bought holder to use when driving on lakes, works ok.
Wound definitly recommend you spend a little more buy one w/ a larger screen, color and dashbag mount instead.

If my wife was going to buy one for me HINT HINT ... I would agree with the above cuz I would move it between the boat and car.

bigmac
05-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Garmin makes GPS purchasing more difficult by having such a huge and varied lineup with a wide price range.

Obviously, it's very easy to overthink this GPS stuff and I'm sure we're all making recommendations based on our needs/wants. A nice, basic unit in the $100 -$200 price range is a great place to start for someone who hasn't really needed a GPS unit up to this point.

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Garmin makes GPS purchasing more difficult by having such a huge and varied lineup with a wide price range.

Obviously, it's very easy to overthink this GPS stuff and I'm sure we're all making recommendations based on our needs/wants. A nice, basic unit in the $100 -$200 price range is a great place to start for someone who hasn't really needed a GPS unit up to this point.

Man, they have a lot of them. The compare feature on their website is a good thing in that regard.

fintek9
05-17-2007, 03:11 PM
if he is on this site alot, i guess he knows what he's getting now!!
happy birthday you lucky guy!!!

Kathi G
05-17-2007, 08:27 PM
If my wife was going to buy one for me HINT HINT ... I would agree with the above cuz I would move it between the boat and car.

ok I will buy it for ya, give me the money and lets go buy one.