PDA

View Full Version : Switching to bronze?

SkiEngr
05-17-2007, 12:23 AM
So a friend of mine just spent a lot of money (~$4K) fixing his MC because he got out of the channel in a local lake. He found a couple of stumps and ended up having to replace his shaft and bell housing and he had to get some glass work done (the impact caused some stress fractures). He was running with a stainless prop. $100 of work later and his prop was as good as new (i.e. it didn't absorb much of the impact).

So this caused me to think...I currently have a stainless prop on my boat. After hearing this story, I am going to replace it with a bronze one, but would that have prevented my friend's misfortune? If he would have had a bronze prop on the boat, would it have absorbed enough energy to protect the bell housing?

Anyway, I am curious to your opinions since I am a fairly new MC owner and am now terrified of hitting something in the water...

erkoehler
05-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Having a bronze prop would definetly have helped, but without seeing the damage or being there at the time of impact it is hard to judge how much better he would have faired in the accident.

I will never run a SS prop on an inboard boat. The new Acme/OJ CNC'd props provide excellent performance in both 3 and 4 blade options.

PendO
05-17-2007, 01:16 AM
I know a guy who bought a 7500 MC with a SS prop, hit a stump or rock, and did 5K worth of damage - including the glasswork - I agree with erk, an inboard wake/ski boat is not a place for a ss prop.

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 11:50 AM
If you hit something hard enough, it may not matter what the prop is made of. Where I think nibral has an advantage is where you hit something not so hard. I would always go Nibral as well.

JKTX21
05-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I am using a stainless prop right now, but only because I'm having my Nibral re-worked. I've been lucky where I boat, I hit a floater every now and then, but nothing big.

Sounds like any kind prop probably wouldn't have helped your friend a whole lot.

DemolitionMan
05-17-2007, 12:55 PM
The brass is Really soft so it gives when you hit something and the stainless wont so thats why I run brass.

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
The brass is Really soft so it gives when you hit something and the stainless wont so thats why I run brass.

This is true, but again, if you hit something substantial hard enough, you can bend more than your prop, even if it's NiBrAl.

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
The prop did bend quite a bit before the shaft bent too.

JKTX21
05-17-2007, 01:24 PM
We tried to tell you to stay left Doug!
:uglyhamme

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Hahaha! That's not my boat. That's what happened when my father in law's boat had a run in with a broken off channel marker that was still fixed in place and just under the surface of the water. I really wish he had been the one driving. :o

I think I must have just had some crud wrapped around my shaft that day because on Sunday, my boat was running smooth as silk.

fintek9
05-17-2007, 02:06 PM
looks like a buddys prop two years ago, after he hit a big snappin turtle, we limped it home and had dinner, tasted just like chicken...

east tx skier
05-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Other than the bent prop and shaft, look at the gel coat above the prop in that last picture.

jclose8
05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Skiengr,
I would probably trade you props if you want. I have a spare 4-blade OJ 14x18 (I believe....I'd have to check for sure) 1 1/8" keyed. LH rotation.

I noticed in your profile you have an '01 X-star? Mine should fit, unless your's is a splined prop... I can't remember if they went to those yet in '01.

I wouldn't mind a spare SS. Let me know if you are interested.

Jamie

SkiEngr
05-17-2007, 04:28 PM
That's impressive. It looks like the prop deflected up and chewed up the glass...I am assuming that is not what happened because everything else seems to be in place.

I am becoming more convinced that I will (eventually) hit something and I should just accept it.

wsrobert
05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
I can tell you from experience...you hit something hard and you are replacing everything. I just hit a stump in my 240SC and had to replace shaft, strut, and rudder. The bolts in the strut and rudder plates were bent. I did have a NiBrAl prop and had to do no fiberglass. Who's to say I would have had more damage with the SS prop. I agree that the SS prop is more likely to cause damage, but you won't find anyone that says you'll be fine with NiBrAl.

88 PS190
05-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Depends how fast you're going.

At a certain point it doesn't matter if you're swinging ss or bronze, you're going to have damage.

If you are going slowly and the prop just hits something you'll do better with the bronze.

To crack the bell housing i'd bet he was going pretty fast to tug the shaft that much.

east tx skier
05-18-2007, 11:41 AM
That's impressive. It looks like the prop deflected up and chewed up the glass...I am assuming that is not what happened because everything else seems to be in place.

I am becoming more convinced that I will (eventually) hit something and I should just accept it.

That is what happened. The shaft bent aft of the strut. That prop was actually repairable. OJ did great job with it and it performed better than before the accident. Again, I think a nibral prop will lessen the force exerted on the shaft, but if you hit something substantial enough, you can still do some pretty hefty drivetrain damage.

I can tell you from experience...you hit something hard and you are replacing everything. I just hit a stump in my 240SC and had to replace shaft, strut, and rudder. The bolts in the strut and rudder plates were bent. I did have a NiBrAl prop and had to do no fiberglass. Who's to say I would have had more damage with the SS prop. I agree that the SS prop is more likely to cause damage, but you won't find anyone that says you'll be fine with NiBrAl.

Amazingly, our strut and rudder survived that hit. And the prop was fixed for $85 plus shipping to OJ. The R&R of the shaft along with the realignment of the engine to shaft was the most expensive part of the repair. Gel coat repair was $225. I think all in all, it was just around a $1,000 mistake.