PDA

View Full Version : Sub facing back or down?

nattylightmike
02-03-2005, 01:25 AM
This one is for all of you stereo guys out there. I made this box for my sub last winter. I have a boston acoustic 4 ohm sub powered by a rockford amp I bought from a friend (I know it's a 2 channel I think it's 200 watts per channel, bridged). I also have four infinity 6.5's powered by a rockford 4x50 or something close to that. I like the way it sounds, good mids and highs, but the bass is a little week if you are in the back seat. Would I get more out of this sub facing it back like it is or facing it down?

acurtis_ttu
02-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Is that box ported? Or is that a vent next to the sub. If it's ported, try a non ported box. Are you sure the sub is in the right enclosure? How much airspace is it in? I've always prefered down fire boxes and feel they sound alot better. I have two 12's facing down in the bow of my PS 190

Ric
02-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Mike, to my knowledge it doesnt matter which way the sub is aimed, but it does matter that you get the proper airspace for your specific sub whether it be a sealed enclosure sub or free air makes a difference.
Power it well, seal the proper volume encloser if it needs sealing and you are good no matter which way it aims.
Oh and be sure that it's crossover is proper. Your crossover may even be adjustable...

nattylightmike
02-03-2005, 09:19 PM
The box is sealed. The black thing is my heater vent. I basically mad a front piece, screwed the box to the back of it, cut out a whole for my heater vent on the other side, and carpeted it all. I bought this sub because it doesn't need that much air, .6 cubic ft. if I remember right. The box is the correct size.

Leroy
02-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Is it protected? From the angle of the pix looks like where you would be kicking your feet?

jt76ss
02-03-2005, 10:29 PM
mike i have a Kicker comp vr12 2 ohm in my boat mounted in a box right behind the drivers seat i have it hitting towards the front of the boat push up tight to the seat and i am getting tons of bass but if i turn it around face the rear you can barely here it and the sound quailty is poor it sounds like your sub is getting to much "air" if you have ever had a system in your car you will notice a difference when the windows are up and down

JimN
02-04-2005, 12:22 AM
natty- is the box totally sealed? If not, the air leak is causing problems. Seal it with latex caulk and make sure it's totally sealed. If you have a small leak, you may as well drill a 2" hole in it. Another thing you can try is reversing the polarity to the woofer. Did you stuff any polyester fill in the box? That makes the woofer act like it's in a bigger enclosure but doesn't affect the power handling capability.

DRC
02-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Mike

I'm preparing to replace my carpet and really like the look of yours. I know this topic is the speaker, but wondering if that is stock or if you've replaced it? If you have replaced it, what kind is it, what weight (20oz), how's that gray go with the boat, rather than the charcoal that I see in my boat.

nattylightmike
02-28-2005, 09:55 PM
DRC,

The carpet is from www.boatcarpetonline.com. It is 20 oz with a rubber backing. I think it was about $8.00 a linear foot for 8 ft. wide. They also have the charcol color, but after getting samples I picked the silver. The charcol hides the stains a little better but I think that the silver looks cleaner. Hope this helps. Have Fun.

SteveO
03-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Most if the shops I spoke to fire the sub towards the side and let it reflect the sound that way. I ended up having a 10" JL w3 installed firing towards the side and it has plenty of bass at all points in the boat

BriEOD
03-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Mike let me tie another thread in here. I'm in the process of upgrading my stereo as well. I bought 4 polk 6.5 and have two JL 10's. I'll be running a Precision Power 4 channel amp (200 w) and a Pioneer 2 channel amp (200 w). Plus I got a new head unit with a remote (no more leaning to reach the volume...AMEN!). Anyhow, how are you doing running that with your battery? Are you running a single batt or have you upgraded. Thanks man.

nattylightmike
03-02-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm just running a single battery. I can't remember the specs on it. I looked around and found the biggest lead acid deep cycle I could that would fit in the battery box. I stayed away from a gel cell because I've heard they are sensitive to charging voltages and of course price. I upgraded my alternator to a 110 amp unit. I have ran the battery dead once or twice, just hanging out on the lake. I carrying a back-up though, one of those jump start boxes. For $50 it works just fine. I like the remote idea. One of my next projects is mounting a remote in the back, so when you are hangin out on the platform you can just change the song from back there.

BriEOD
03-02-2005, 10:04 PM
What did the alternator run you?

OhioProstar
03-03-2005, 03:26 PM
I have my 12" Kicker Comp facing out and it hits pretty hard.

Brian you can have your current alternator re-packed for higher output. Don't you have to increase the master breaker near the tranny to handle the higher output?

nattylightmike
03-03-2005, 09:05 PM
The alternator was about $250. I got it at the local alternator/starter shop. I talked to them about increasing the amps on my stock one, they said they could only get about 65 amps out of it. As for the master breaker, I did have it pop once. The stereo was cranked way up, we were doing about half throttle through some pretty rough water and then all of the sudden the boat just died. I had no idea what had happened. There was no power to the dash or any thing else. It took me about 10 minutes of looking around and I luckily just stumbled across the breaker, pushed it in and we were good to go.