PDA

View Full Version : Why wont my 1994 mastercraft prostar 205 throttle stay in the forward position

lelprostar205
05-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I own a 1994 mastercraft prostar 205 with the fuel injected 350. When i put the boat in drive and pull a skier the throttle pops right back almost to the neutral position. Has someone ever heard of this? do i have to hold the throttle down pulling a wake boarder? or has someone done some redneck engineering

milkmania
05-16-2007, 06:30 PM
my 91 PS190 has 3 positions......

Wide Open Throttle:steering:

Neutral:(

Reverse:o

seriously though, I've noticed if it's not pegged, it will rotate toward neutral.
it won't kick all the way into neutral, but I have to maintain pressure at mid-throttle.

Welcome to the board, we're glad to have ya:)

lelprostar205
05-16-2007, 06:32 PM
What do you mean by pegged?

G-man
05-16-2007, 06:41 PM
There is a spring on the throttle body I beleive and it is suppose to do that. The redneck way around it is called Perfect Pass

lelprostar205
05-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Yes I know what you are saying there is a round spring attached do it. Would it be a crime to take it off. I would love to have perfect pass but its very expensive. thanks

milkmania
05-16-2007, 06:59 PM
What do you mean by pegged?

hammer down

on mine, I get to a certain point on the throttle.... I don't get any more increase (spped or RPM) if I go further....

but, if I go past that point, it will hold itself down when I let go.

look at it like a clock:
9 o'clock is wide open, but comes toward neutral if I let go.
8 o'clock is also wide open, but does not move when I let go. (pegged)

(keep in mind though, mine is not throttle body)

lelprostar205
05-16-2007, 07:05 PM
would it be wrong to take the spring on the throttle body that pulls it back off?

atlfootr
05-16-2007, 07:56 PM
I own a 1994 mastercraft prostar 205 with the fuel injected 350. When i put the boat in drive and pull a skier the throttle pops right back almost to the neutral position. Has someone ever heard of this? do i have to hold the throttle down pulling a wake boarder? or has someone done some redneck engineeringThat only happened once to someone that attempted to pull a 450 lb skier ... I think it's a safety issue, as so it won't blow the motor.

cst573
05-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I agree, I think it is a saftey issue to protect the boat and its occupants.

JimN
05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
The reason the return spring is there is that if the driver is tossed out of the boat, the throttle will return to idle, since they weren't wearing the lanyard in the first place.

Yeah, it's a PITA but it beats what happened to a boat being demo'd west of Milwaukee a few years ago- the PowerQuest rep and both of the dealer guys were thrown overboard and since they were being all cool and everything, the lanyard couldn't do anything and it hit a stone wall at 55 MPH. Ended up being demo'd in both forms of the word.

Good thing it wasn't a pier with people on it, eh?

What happens when you take your foot off of the pedal in your car or truck?

Jerseydave
05-16-2007, 08:45 PM
My '94 prostar (LT-1) did that too when I got it new.

My dealer put on a cable "pinching" clamp which creates more friction so the throttle won't return by itself. It worked like a champ! Ask your dealer about it.

beef
05-16-2007, 09:52 PM
SkiDim actually sells the little clamp to put on the throttle cable to alleviate this. I've also seen a cable tie used in the same way to put a little pressure on the casing. Mine stays put by itself.

G-man
05-16-2007, 10:07 PM
In the grand scheme of things Perfect Pass is the best money you can spend on your boat besides girls in thongs. It is so nice to get pulled at the correct speed when it is your boat.

JKTX21
05-16-2007, 10:18 PM
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MOR044386

Try a throttle brake. My boat stays at speed thanks to the good people down at Perfect Pass, the World Leader in Speed Control.

east tx skier
05-16-2007, 11:13 PM
I think it's on the starboard side on yours, but on my boat, the original throttle return spring was almost as tense as a brake spring. For $.40 to my local auto parts stores, I got a pack of springs and replaced it with a less tense spring. Some stretch the original spring so it doesn't pull as hard. I believe it's function is, as mentioned, a safety feature in case your throttle cable breaks. But the stock tension seems to be overkill.

JimN
05-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Bunch of wusses! How do you expect to get a Popeye forearm to impress the chicks with if you don't don't have to fight the throttle? :friday:

milkmania
05-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Bunch of wusses! How do you expect to get a Popeye forearm to impress the chicks with if you don't don't have to fight the throttle? :friday:
but, they all laugh at me when my right arm gets bigger than my left arm:o

daverbeck
06-03-2007, 04:28 PM
I looked at the spring on my 94 TBI and it looked like I would have to disassemble the entire TBI (remove butterflies, etc.).

So I made a throttle cable clamp. Dug through my miscellaneous hardware pile and came up with a hinged clasp bracket which I bent so that it would not punch the cable but rather "squeeze" it. Then used a 0.25" bolt and self locking nut. Wraped the cable in electrical tape before clamping it.

Seems to work fine. Still fine tuning to put the minimum pressure on the cable. Probably will have to increase the pressure over time. I suspect that the plastic cable cover will flatten out and the pressure will be reduced after the thing bakes in the motor box over the summer.

Ryan
06-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I had no idea this was a problem. Now I can see why Perfect Pass sells so well as an add on. I guess the previous owner had some adjustments made beyond the course/rear rotation done.

I set my throttle to what ever RPMs I want, 1800, 3250 etc... it stays put. As any good driver I still keep three fingers on the throttle for minor adjustments. It would bug me quite a bit if I had to keep pushing on it all the time.

catmandu
06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I used Texican engineering, since I lived there at the time: 3/8 inch galvanized cable clamp on the throttle cable. Set it to the minimum pressure needed to keep the throttle in place, have not touched it since. No problems in six years / 300 hours.

east tx skier
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I had no idea this was a problem. Now I can see why Perfect Pass sells so well as an add on. I guess the previous owner had some adjustments made beyond the course/rear rotation done.

I set my throttle to what ever RPMs I want, 1800, 3250 etc... it stays put. As any good driver I still keep three fingers on the throttle for minor adjustments. It would bug me quite a bit if I had to keep pushing on it all the time.

Mine would pull the throttle back whether perfect pass was on or not. The stock spring had some serious tension.