PDA

View Full Version : Long-distantce towingt tips?

Hrkdrivr
05-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi gang! I'll be dragging my X-45 about 900 miles in the near future. I gather from other threads I probably don't want to tow w/the cover on...my question is:

Do you bother to remove all the removable cushions and carry them in the tow vehicle? W/the window closed and the door under that covering the space beneath the windshield will the wind ever get strong enough to toss a cushion out? I'll be on interstates driving about 70 mph.

Thanks! :)

Farmer Ted
05-15-2007, 11:51 PM
you should be fine leaving your cushions in while towing

don't forget to bump up the tire pressure per Goodyear...

Doug G
05-16-2007, 07:23 AM
My .02: Nothing loose in the interior that can fly out. Spin the board racks inward if you have them. Remove the mirror. No boards, skis in the racks. The snap-in center rear pad on my rear deck doesn't like to travel at highway speeds, catches air so I take that off. I close the windshield but leave open underneath it. (I have the snap cover for beneath the windshield) No problem with any seats lifting on mine.

Bring along some stuff to clean the bugs off the tower if it is not covered. I hung two glow sticks from the teak when running at night cuz I was paranoid about that sticking out the back and someone not seeing it in the dark.

If it isn't part of your regular trailer checks, don't forget to torque the trailer lugs and do the tire pressure like Farmer said. I use rear tie downs on mine as well. If yours didn't come with like mine didn't I would add a set.

etakk7
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
close the windshield, snap on the cover below, and pile up all of your stuff in the cabin of the boat. I do it all the time, never lost anything.

PaulW
05-16-2007, 09:16 AM
I second the torque of the lug nuts. Check them every time you stop for a while.

Maristar210
05-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I have lost a port side center cushion at 70mph. Not a good feeling. Chasing it down was placing myself in danger I do not wish to endure again. My windshield was open then but now I keep it closed and remove the cushions. I never want to have to walk on the freeway again. Be careful and I agree tire pressure and lug nuts, checkum.
Steve

skeeler
05-16-2007, 09:48 AM
On all of the trips I have taken in the past, one thing to remember are tools. I don't know how many times life would have been so much easier if I just had a vise grips or a hammer. I'll be thinking of ya, I am heading to San Antonio in about three hours. So look for this thing, if you are on the road. :D

Doug G
05-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Have fun Skeeler! (As if you need to be told)

jraben8
05-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Make sure that you have a jack for the trailer. Many times the jack for your truck will not work on the trailer if the tire is already flat.

jraben8
05-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Skeeler, what time are you passing through Dallas?

wakescene
05-16-2007, 02:09 PM
What I do is bingee down the two center cushions in my Maristar so there is not chance of them flying out. The corner cushions tend to be fine. I pack as much as possible in the rear storage and passenger storage areas...
I carry a small bottle jack, a regular lug wrench and a star lug wrench. For really long trips, I carry a few extra ratchet straps and bungees.

Make sure your AAA card is up to date!

Saran wrap the tower and speakers/lights if your worried about bugs.

KnoxX2
05-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Now that is a good idea!!!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I have 2 towing tips:

#1 use a 3/4 ton diesel to tow the boat.

#2 make sure the drain plug is in the boat.

Doug G
05-16-2007, 03:14 PM
What I do is bingee down the two center cushions in my Maristar so there is not chance of them flying out. The corner cushions tend to be fine. I pack as much as possible in the rear storage and passenger storage areas...
I carry a small bottle jack, a regular lug wrench and a star lug wrench. For really long trips, I carry a few extra ratchet straps and bungees.

Make sure your AAA card is up to date!

I also carry the AAA jack in my truck :D

bobbyB
05-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I gather from other threads I probably don't want to tow w/the cover on...

Ummm, I guess I'm in the dark here about this towing with the cover on thing??? I've always towed with the cover on and had no problems. Is there something I need to be enlighted about?

B

bkblaida
05-17-2007, 07:39 PM
We tow about 2,000 miles a summer. Several years back I purchased a Schuck Cushioned hitch. This handy little unit takes all the "slap" out of the trailer when starting out and stopping. After living with it all this time I would not tow without some form of cushioned hitch system. Best $139.00 I've spent in a long time

Ryan27r
05-17-2007, 08:08 PM
BobbyB sometimes the cover will slap the gel and then you have imperfections. i would also think that it could stretch the cover.FOr example my aunt has a 2003 PS 197 towed with the cover and it ripped the windshiled off on the drivers side.

mfmbcpman
05-17-2007, 09:13 PM
First, do you all worry about vandalism/theft of not the whole boat but cushions or something?

Second, how do you secure your trailer with boat at night at a hotel? (Does the Mastercraft trailer allow you to lock it to the the car/hitch?)

Ryan27r
05-17-2007, 09:39 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
Where you put the pin in to keep the coupler locked just put a materlock or other paddlock in.

TMCNo1
05-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Murphy's Law applies when towing long distances, so go prepared with everything you think you would possibly need and when you get home there will be lessons learned, to apply to the next trip. We've been learning for 18 years and 30,000 miles with the '89 and even learned a trick on the round trip to CSM last weekend. Being stranded, unprepared on the side of the interstate is not a happy festival. A 12 hour trip to Cypress Gardens in 1989 with a fellow unprepared boater turned into a 23 1/2 hour trip, he broke off 4 lug nut studs and all he had was a mini mag light and a 1/4" socket set.

WESSTAR
05-22-2007, 01:18 AM
A 2 ton jack from Kragens wont lift a X-Star or 45. Gotta get a heavy duty one for this year's trips.

Hrkdrivr
05-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Thanks for all the tips, folks. I managed to score a storage cover from James as MC of Arkansas. It's the white, felt-lined cover the boats are delivered to the dealers with.

Getting it to fit around the tower was a major PITA. I had to cut the cover down to the lower seams and then tape it back up, filling the open spaces w/some extra felt. The draw-string around the bottom was tricky...at each cut I pullled the string out so as not to cut it. After the cover was routed around the tower legs and taped up, I re-threaded the string through the hem using a flat steel blade about 1/2 wide w/hole in it to hold the string. Holy cow, what fun, but well worth the effort. Combined with the under-belly straps, the draw-string really snugs the cover down nicely.

I'll post some pics in a couple of weeks. I'm in the process of getting ready for the packers/breakers/movers to come and things are crazy. Eric's thread has some pics that show what it looks like... http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15448

OBTW, no matter what anyone says, the cover won't fit over the tower even folded down. I guess when the boats are delivered, the towers are mostly in pieces in boxes on the deck of the boat, so the covers fit the boat as if there was no tower.

Anyhoo, I'm confident she'll travel well over those many miles. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few weeks when I get there and survey the damage when I remove the cover.

Hrkdrivr
05-22-2007, 02:46 AM
Murphy's Law applies when towing long distances, so go prepared with everything you think you would possibly need and when you get home there will be lessons learned, to apply to the next trip. We've been learning for 18 years and 30,000 miles with the '89 and even learned a trick on the round trip to CSM last weekend. Being stranded, unprepared on the side of the interstate is not a happy festival. A 12 hour trip to Cypress Gardens in 1989 with a fellow unprepared boater turned into a 23 1/2 hour trip, he broke off 4 lug nut studs and all he had was a mini mag light and a 1/4" socket set.

Funny you should mention this. While I was pulling tools from my garage stash to put into my nifty new boat tool box, I ended up taking nearly everything. Hmmm...metric or english? I've used both on the boat already. Wire crimpers? You never know... hack saw? hammer? circuit tester? duct tape (for sure)?

Yep, it's all in there. The plus side is I have a little extra ballast to make the perfect wake... :)