PDA

View Full Version : 205V hull Paddle Wheel location for Perfect Pass?

beatle78
05-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi guys,

I'm going to be installing a perfect pass in my 2001 205V w/ the LTR engine. Can anyone take some pics (inside and outside of the hull) of where your paddle wheel is located?

On my BU DD, it was located in front of the engine and if it was choppy the boat could take off on you.... not good.

I'm guessing the farther back in the hull the better?

thanks!

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Here's the general location in picture format.

beatle78
05-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks PHAT!

Drilling through the hull just seems wrong to me, haha

Any other tips before I go cutting away would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming you cut from the outside in??

etakk7
05-15-2007, 04:06 PM
put it where Pauls is in the photo - which is exactly 6 inches center on center from the recessed "hole" to the paddlewheel. Stay equidistant to the centerline of the boat as well. I recommend drilling a very thin hole from the ouside in first to make sure you are happy with the location, then you will still have an inch or so to move the mark if needed. Second, use the drill bit only from the hole saw. Then go through with the hole saw, starting in reverse, then forward. Make sure to put masking tape over the area first.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-15-2007, 04:21 PM
There are tons of tips out there.
#1. Check, re-check, re-re-check location inside and out before drilling.
#2. See #1.
#3. Some people use duct tape where they will be drilling to help reduce chipping. I did on the first hole, but ditched it on the rest. It just got caught up in the bit.
#4. Drill a small pilot hole and then check maximum diameter clearance inside and out.
#5. Get a hole bit that actually uses abrasives (diamonds) to 'cut' thru rather than saw tooth bit.
#6. If #5 isn't available, using a standard hole saw/bit, some people drill in reverse to get thru the top coat to reduce chipping. I just used EXTREMELY LIGHT pressure (more like sanding thru) and it worked out OK.
#7. Chamfer the finished hole to reduce the chance of chipping/cracking down the road.
#8. I like to use whatever bonding/thru hull compound and put a light layer on the newly exposed fiberglass edge to seal(?). (Chalk it up to OCD).

Yes...I drilled the hole from the outside in, but I can't recall if I drilled my pilot hole from the inside out???

Good luck!

rick s.
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I would recommend drilling the pilot hole from the inside out. This way you know if anything's in the way. Then drill the large hole from the outside in.

my $0.02 worth.

That's how I did it.

beatle78
05-15-2007, 07:39 PM
ok great! Thanks guys....

quick question.... what do you use to chamfer a hole that large?

03 35th Anniversary
05-15-2007, 07:52 PM
If you want to use tape to prevent chipping use a good thick masking tape it works alot better than duct tape.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-15-2007, 08:59 PM
ok great! Thanks guys....

quick question.... what do you use to chamfer a hole that large?

I have a dremel tool with a sanding bit attachment, but you can use some sandpaper if that's what you have. It's just to 'break' the sharp edge/corner to reduce the chance of a stress riser.

etakk7
05-15-2007, 09:35 PM
your gonna need a really small drill to drill from the inside out in that location. A standard cordless drill will not work and I'd be worried about drilling from the inside in such a tight spot as you have to maintain the angle of the hull at that point. It would be really hard to eye that up from the inside. I chamfered with sandpaper but haven't had it on long enough to know if that was good enough!

etakk7
05-15-2007, 09:38 PM
measuring and drilling from the outside is super easy with the 205V, because you have the indentation in the hull as a reference point from both the inside and outside of the boat. I was within millimeters of where I wanted to be when I drilled.

beatle78
05-16-2007, 09:35 AM
thanks guys!!! I think I'm going to drill from the outside in like you said. It's nice that the 205V hull has the indentation to go off of.

I have a dremel, so I'm sure I have a sanding bit in there somewhere.

etakk7
05-16-2007, 09:59 AM
just don't widen the hole too much with that dremel! Those things can dig in if you aren't careful

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
just don't widen the hole too much with that dremel! Those things can dig in if you aren't careful

Yeah...I should mention that my Dremel has a attachment for hobbies and such. It looks like a pen and you hold it like a pen. What I'm getting at is that I don't use the heavy duty portion of the Dremel, but the 'fine work' attachment.

Dremels dig so be careful. Sanding by hand might be safest.

beatle78
05-16-2007, 11:14 AM
ok thanks guys!!!... yah perhaps the sand paper method might be best for me :)

beatle78
05-22-2007, 04:15 PM
I drilled the hole last night and it came out sweet. I used the 3m 4200 Marine sealant since it was not labelled as "permanent" like the 5200 and it is made for below the waterline.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/250933/0/0/sealant/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

Hopefully the 4200 was OK. I get nervous with PERMAMENT.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help!

etakk7
05-22-2007, 11:31 PM
no problem either way - you won't be removing it anyway.

beatle78
05-23-2007, 08:33 AM
nice, thanks.... It wouldn't have come out nearly as nice without your direction.

Now let's see how the wife feels about me telling her she's stuck with the baby for another night this week while I continue with my projects :)

p.s. did you snake the PP wiring under the gas tank or did you just lay it on the top? If you read my other post you'll see that the gas tank and I are not getting along too well right now.

etakk7
05-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I put the wiring on top of the gas tank along with the other lines, positive and neg battery cables, heater hoses, and now ballast line. I did fish the lines through to the bow next to the steering cable though. Once the floor is back in place you'll never notice. BTW, my ballast is finished and I should be posting a giant any day now.

beatle78
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
NICE!!!!.... yah I def want to see your new ballast system!!!!!

congrats!!!!!

hopefully, the heater and ballast system will come next year for me :)