PDA

View Full Version : Jl Audio A6450

rsk
05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Every now and then my unit will lose power,most of the time late in the day. Probably from getting too low voltage , which I have heard can make it run hot which is the cause.
Does anyone know if Mastercraft uses the 4AWG which the owners manual of JL says do if you are experiencing voltage drops.

MYMC
05-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Every now and then my unit will lose power,most of the time late in the day. Probably from getting too low voltage , which I have heard can make it run hot which is the cause.
Does anyone know if Mastercraft uses the 4AWG which the owners manual of JL says do if you are experiencing voltage drops.
They do now...

rsk
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
mine is 06 X30, did they then

MYMC
05-15-2007, 12:56 PM
No sir, not that I am aware of.

JBaker
05-17-2007, 11:40 AM

To the best of my knowledge, MC didn't use 4 AWG on any '06s that were manufactured in '05 and only (maybe) the later ones in '06.

It is crucial for the 6450 to have 4 AWG. The smaller the wire, the greater the voltage loss. The greater the voltage the loss, the higher the current draw. The higher the current draw, the more wear it takes on your alternator, amplifier etc. There are all kinds of ramifications for skimping on power and ground wire.

KnoxX2
05-17-2007, 11:50 AM
This is good info to have.

Sounds like I have some wireing to redo soon.

Archimedes
05-17-2007, 12:34 PM

This may be a dumb question but, can't you just look at it and tell? I have 4AWG on mine and it's pretty easy to tell it from lighter gauge wire.

SaltwaterMC
05-17-2007, 01:13 PM
I have an '07 X-Star and it has 2 seperate 6AWG power and ground wires, one pair for the M6450 that powers the sub (bridged over 2 channels at 4 ohms) and 4 cockpit speakers (each running at 4 ohms), and the other pair for the M2150 to power the tower speakers (at 4 ohms). The head unit powers the other 2 cockpit speakers. In my opinion, 4 AWG running to an M2150 or M6450 is totally unecessary, they simply do not draw enough power. Unless for some reason your amp is really far from your battery, which in this case it isn't, it should not require 4 AWG wire. However, if you are talking about a single pair of power and ground wires running in to a distribution block then splitting off from there, then yes, I would say you would want 4AWG wire going in to the block. I think it is important to keep in mind that when JL recommends this gigantic gauge wire for their amps that they sell copper! The higher the gauge they can get you to buy, the more money in their pockets, and considering the price of copper now a days, that's a lot of money.

JBaker
05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I have an '07 X-Star and it has 2 seperate 6AWG power and ground wires, one pair for the M6450 that powers the sub (bridged over 2 channels at 4 ohms) and 4 cockpit speakers (each running at 4 ohms), and the other pair for the M2150 to power the tower speakers (at 4 ohms). The head unit powers the other 2 cockpit speakers. In my opinion, 4 AWG running to an M2150 or M6450 is totally unecessary, they simply do not draw enough power. Unless for some reason your amp is really far from your battery, which in this case it isn't, it should not require 4 AWG wire. However, if you are talking about a single pair of power and ground wires running in to a distribution block then splitting off from there, then yes, I would say you would want 4AWG wire going in to the block. I think it is important to keep in mind that when JL recommends this gigantic gauge wire for their amps that they sell copper! The higher the gauge they can get you to buy, the more money in their pockets, and considering the price of copper now a days, that's a lot of money.

Interesting opinions. If you don't think the M6450 requires 4 gauge, you could just consult an AWG chart. If you are running the wire further than 5 feet you will need 4 AWG. Not only are there MCs like yours that have 6 gauge, but actually a lot of '06s and '05s came with 8 gauge and smaller!

Look at it this way: there is absolutely ZERO benefit other than cost cutting in staying with undersized wire.