PDA

View Full Version : Couple Ltr1 questions

swatguy
05-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Well just picked up my first MC a 2000 X-Star and it has Ltr 1 engine. Just curious about some things about this engine as I have had PCM and Mercs in my past boats. When I put the boat in gear ther is like a loud click......best way to describe it is like someone tapped on the engine block w hammer. not loud but loud enough. It has the hurth tranny. Was told by dealer that its normal. Also seems like the engine needs to warmed up a little more than I thought before I pull it off the trailer. About same time as my old pcm carb.....Just wondered if that was normal.

Anything else uo guys can think of to give me the heads up on....Not familiar with this engine at all...........So any extra maintanace or out of ordinary things compared to other engines? Thanks

Thanks.

dsoby
05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I have an 02 LTR and a click when putting the transmission in gear does not sound normal. Also, a fuel injected engine should start much easier than a carbed one. I would have those issues looked into and by someone other than who told you that they were normal.

MYMC
05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
The transmission noise is normal, but can be helped by changing the fluid over to motor oil if that has not been done already. Cold driveability issue may be cured by an ECM update.

Lastly the LTR has a list of recalls and updates (dist drive gear, alt etc) that you need to make sure have been completed. Also the transmission has a vent "update" that needs to be done as well (if it hasn't been).

Everything can be found here: http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/topics.cfm?forum=10&category=2

dsoby
05-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Also, one other thing... if you have the same engine as me, the LTR has an issue with the original oil pump gear. It is brass and interfaces with the steel crankshaft. Not a good combination. Replace or have it replaced with a steel one. There is a lot of info on Mike's website about this on MyMastercraft.com.

swatguy
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
thanks guys......I guess I misstated on the engine warm up or it came out wrong. It starts up fine.....perfect......but then when you got to put it in gear it seems to hesitate/ almost die a little til its warm.

Thanks for the info guys will check it out.