PDA

View Full Version : Ignition advance values, PS190, 1995, EFI, TBI.

Surfer
05-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi,

the distributor was changed, and the timing now needs to be adjusted.
What would the values be and where from to look at it with the timing lamp?

JimN
05-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Base timing advance is 10 BTDC but the ECM needs to be out into diagnostic mode and the RPM increased to 1000 before setting it. If you have a scan tool, it may have a button for this mode.

Surfer
05-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Hi,

thanks!

I just got info from Indmar, copy from service manual, which says that you put a wire from pin A to pin B on the engine data link connector: 900 - 1100 rmp's.

But, where from you look this timing, with the lamp? I am really not familiar with all the engine service issues.
But I am getting familiar with these issues all the time, as I want to ski, or vice versa.

(I did order the service manual, Indmar GM V8 Inboards 1983-2003, I guess the info is also there.)

JimN
05-16-2007, 07:58 AM
If you look at the front of the motor near the crank pulley, there is a piece of metal that is positioned over the crank pulley. This has a jagged edge and has the numbers you'll need to use for setting the timing. Find the line in the crank balancer and mark it with chalk or some other white material, so it's easier to see. If you have a timing light with a dial for setting advance, you set that to 10 of advance and then only need to make the timing mark match the 0 BTDC on the reference tab.