PDA

View Full Version : Lake Lanier

LakePirate
05-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Holy Cow. Went to Lanier this past weekend, can you say rollers, white caps and chop?

I felt like I was driving the Andrea Gail.

Got caught in a roller from a beast like this

http://www.bowthrusters.net/images/Side002_sm.jpe

and saw nothing but water.

Oh and now my dash is loose and I have to fix that.

Did I mention it was a slow weekend out there?

SHarr5184
05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
I can second you there! I was on Lanier this weekend as well and it was a mess...I took water over the bow twice from huge swells. I ended up going back out on Saturday after the storm for a little skiing and it was like glass...a little chilly, but SO smooth.

LakePirate
05-14-2007, 09:35 PM
That place is insane.

Anybody got a CSX to take out? However, it might be a bit small.

6ballsisall
05-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Lakey!! Where do you launch from dude?

The wife and daughter and I had a Mothers Day picnic off the Mary Alice Road entrance. It was REALLY busy over there...... I saw a old S & S out there just getting pounded to death. Can't say I envied him being on the water...... ok well maybe just a bit. 8p

6ballsisall
05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
That place is insane.

I was thinking X45 or X80......;)

LakePirate
05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Long Hollow Park

It is off of Keith Bridge (Hwy 306) / Waldrip Rd

It was nuts.

SHarr5184
05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
It wasn't much for skiing, but it worked for tubing!

Rob May
05-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah, the main body was pretty crazy. The place I go to wakeboard/ski/etc. was pretty busy too. (just north of Old Federal park) I was out Sat, and Sun. I ended up doing what Stephen did, tube. It was perfect for that. Haven't had that much fun in awhile.

Maybe we all can meet up on the lake sometime.

LakePirate
05-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I guess we could have a tristar convention...

DemolitionMan
05-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Lanier is definetly busy.

theDano
05-15-2007, 07:26 AM
I was amazed at how busy it was. I was thinking what a great day when nobody will be out b/c it is too early in the season for the masses to get organized and get their boat out.....NOT!

it was a good day none the less though :)

lassy
05-15-2007, 08:59 AM
hey guys, i'll be renting a house for an entire week july 9-15 up on the north end of the lake. does anyone know of a pontoon boat that i could rent/borrow for cheap? i'll have my xstar up there, a fishing boat, and a jet ski...but a pontoon boat would be nice.

pilot02
05-15-2007, 09:22 AM
That place is insane.

Now you know why I won't set foot in lanier!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Holy Cow. Went to Lanier this past weekend, can you say rollers, white caps and chop?

I felt like I was driving the Andrea Gail.

Got caught in a roller from a beast like this

and saw nothing but water.

Oh and now my dash is loose and I have to fix that.

Did I mention it was a slow weekend out there?
I think Andrea Gail was in my 7th grade math class. :confused:

450hp@bellsouth.net
05-15-2007, 09:34 AM
You guys need to come visist Oconee. Last weekend the water was smooth and the boat traffic was limited. There were virtually no boaters until after 11:00.

Barry

sizzler
05-15-2007, 09:47 AM
I think Andrea Gail was in my 7th grade math class. :confused:

was gonna say something about blowing , but thought better of it...

6ballsisall
05-15-2007, 03:03 PM
hey guys, i'll be renting a house for an entire week july 9-15 up on the north end of the lake. does anyone know of a pontoon boat that i could rent/borrow for cheap? i'll have my xstar up there, a fishing boat, and a jet ski...but a pontoon boat would be nice.

May I ask where you rented a HB from on Lanier? Prices?? etc....

rstitson
05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Had the x-15 out for about the 5th time on Sebago (in Maine) ~29,000 acre lake. Coming back to dock out from a protected area ran into 3 ft waves. Put the bow up against the waves to get some angle around an interveneing point. Took on some water over the wind shield (enough to soak us up top) as was not directly head on into the waves. Turned it with the waves and rode it about a mile to more protection. Definitly doing a little surfing with the boat. I was pleased with the way it handled. Loads of power,availble at the touch, it didn't want to broach. Turned well when changing direction. When we reached some protection there was a larger cruiser anchored standing off for calmer weather.

GASouthernMC
05-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Lanier has too many people on it from Atlanta in their big boats. I stay on the north end of Hartwell. Up there all you have to worry about is 20ft runabouts

mpm32
05-16-2007, 10:09 AM
rstitson, I'm going up to Sebago in July staying at Point Sebago resort. We're going to have a 18' ski boat there. It looks we might be able to find some good water for skiing in the coves around the resort. I think Kettle cove is one of them.

Is that accurate? I certainly don't want to take the boat further into the center of the lake due to its size.

atlfootr
05-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Holy Cow.
Went to Lanier this past weekend, can you say rollers, white caps and chop?

http://www.bowthrusters.net/images/Side002_sm.jpe
Can YOU SAY --> Winter Haven and GLASS!
After barefoot'n 10 years thur that crap up there, U now know Y the hell I moved :rant:
U can keep that **** to yourself .
I don't have to deal w/ that ANYMORE thank GOD :D

On the positive side, it made me ahellofa barefoot surivalist ... better endurance footer than ever!

atlfootr
05-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Where do you launch from dude?
I had a Mothers Day picnic off the Mary Alice Road entrance.
It was REALLY busy over there...... 8pjrandol I lived a mile away from the ramp and my brother still lives down the road from there, off Mary Alice.
In fact, you went rt pst his subdivison to get to the park.

atlfootr
05-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm gonna to tell you a little secret, which after I tell you it won't be anymore.
In fact, you'd best pm me for this information ;)

rstitson
05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
mpm32, On a good day the whole lake is accessible. There are good coves around the resort but also on the west side of the lake a bit further than frye island. Jordan bay also has protection and is not as rough as the center of the lake. We have a 17 ft glastron that is good on the lake most days. Occasionally you will find a day of glass clear accross the lake. Some times you need to stay out of the center. The good thing about sebago is that the lake is not crowded with super tankers unlike winnepesaukee in n.h. where you need a larger boat just to keep from being swamped in traffic around the busy areas,probably like lanier. You will want to visit the park just west of where you are staying as there is a great beaching spot, sandy with shallow water probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile long. Give us a call at 207-878-9497 if we are in town we could give you a tour of the lake for some of the better spots.

atlfootr
05-16-2007, 05:55 PM
hey guys, i'll be renting a house north end, anyone know of a pontoon boat that i could rent/borrow for cheap?Give 'me a day .... I might be able to help you out!

6ballsisall
05-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm gonna to tell you a little secret, which after I tell you it won't be anymore.
In fact, you'd best pm me for this information ;)

You got mail ;)

atlfootr
05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
work'n on those now :D

mpm32
05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks rs, I may take you up on that and give you a call.

Mark

Oh, please give me your first name, asking for rstitson on the phone will feel kind of weird. lol

Dawg
05-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I'ts good to see that there are some bros on the site that have experienced the "Total Madness" of the dreaded south end of Lanier. For anyone who ask me what i'ts like, I tell them i'ts similar to riding a motocross bike @wot. Try to hold on for dear life. I'm with Hall Co. Fire Dept. and have been on the water every weekend for the last 4 years on our dive/rescue boat and we are airborne most of the time and seen things that you don't tell your kids about. It is crazy madness. With 2 of the lagrest inland marinas in the nation, a large portion of the boats are ocean going vessels that compete for space with the fishing boats, runabouts and around 4,000 wave runners. Throw in a little alchohol and you have a mix not found anywhere in the US.
We tell ourselves often; "I'ts not a job, it's an adventure"

CHaus21
05-17-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm actually in the process of moving up to Atlanta from Orlando. Does anyone have any thoughts on Lake Allatoona? I've never been to Lanier or Allatoona, but they seem to be pretty similar.

Actually spent the past weekend at Lake Keowee in SC - About 2 hours from Atlanta. Beautiful up there.

LakePirate
05-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Toona is often times lacking water, they have boats too big up there as well. Bring a spare prop. If you are looking at living near Allatoona and working downtown you life is really going to suck. That commute up and down 75 is horrible.

boatwake
05-18-2007, 09:17 PM
South end of Lanier is a zoo (no place for a flat bottomed ski boat)unless you can get there during the week or really early in the morning. The north end is usually OK on the weekends in the mornings or evenings. Afternoons are for tubing, surfing, or simply sitting back an enjoying the show.

atlfootr
05-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Lanier has too many people on it from Atlanta in their big boats. That Y the HELL I MOVED to winter haven -- BAREFOOT Capital OF the world!

atlfootr
05-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Does anyone have thoughts on Lake Allatoona? I've never been to Lanier or Allatoona, but they seem to be pretty similar. Toona SUKS ... And niether are simialr, in any shape or form.

6ballsisall
05-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Dang..........

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2007/05/29/0529metlake3DOT.html

atlfootr
10-17-2007, 09:21 PM
UNBELIEVABLE ! (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/stories/2007/10/10/wateruse_1011.html) :eek3:

atlfootr
10-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Georgia Lake Levels ...
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/html/rrm.php?date=2007-10-17+13%3A42%3A30

My wife just found this link for you guys :rolleyes:

lanier92prostar
10-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Our other lake (Carters) is also way down. The last time we went it was 20 feet down over Labor Day weekend. There were 2 boat ramps available that weekend and one was in the campground. We were not worried about hitting anything since the lake is one of the deepest in the eastern US. All you other lanier people need to take a drive 50 miles north for smooth water any weekend.

6ballsisall
10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
UNBELIEVABLE ! (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/stories/2007/10/10/wateruse_1011.html) :eek3:

You said it ATLFTR. I am REALLY worried about how this will affect Atlanta. How the heck could this have gotten this bad and there have not been more forethought put into the problem? Atlanta, a bustling city of 6 million has 3 months of water left and there appears to be no solution??? Dude we are screwed...........

atlfootr
11-19-2007, 09:42 AM
'Ol frnd frm GA that lives 2 miles frm this boat ramp on Lanier took these pic's 2 weeks ago ... :(

This is where my wife and I use to barefoot, our friend lives across the lake on the other side of the island.

atlfootr
11-19-2007, 09:43 AM
another .....

atlfootr
11-19-2007, 09:44 AM
and another ...

lanier92prostar
11-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Where did you live near Mary Alice? We were at a friends this weekend helping him move his dock and went to check out Duckett Mill. There are trees under where you launch the boat. Granted, when the ramp is accessable the trees are 10 feet under, but still. It reached a record low today with no end in sight. 2 ramps available on the whole lake. Be glad you moved.

Diesel
11-19-2007, 01:20 PM
We had the same problem here in OK for a couple of summers straight. The "experts" all predicted it would take years of record rains to fill the lakes back up, bla, bla, bla......

Guess they were wrong as one of our largest lakes was closed most of the summer because the water was too high! Seems all it took was one record year of rain and all our lakes were bursting. We went from not being able to use the ramps because they were completely out of water to not being able to use the ramps because they were completely submerged.......all of which happened in about 4mths.

It's all cyclical and the water will come back.

lanier92prostar
11-19-2007, 01:24 PM
We have heard from the so called experts that we are supposed to get some of the rain you had this summer by July of next year. I hope so.

TMCNo1
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
We have heard from the so called experts that we are supposed to get some of the rain you had this summer by July of next year. I hope so.

I hope they are right, if it doesn't rain to fill up Lake Wylie by early May, we may have to change Carolina Spring Madness '08 to Summer or Sometime Madness.:rolleyes:

Diesel
11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I cannot find a corps outflow chart for the lake, maybe the corps removed it from the net since it appears to be so controversial, but why in the hell are the outflows so high?

Hydroelectric$$?

Mikey
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
We had the same problem here in OK for a couple of summers straight. The "experts" all predicted it would take years of record rains to fill the lakes back up, bla, bla, bla......

Guess they were wrong as one of our largest lakes was closed most of the summer because the water was too high! Seems all it took was one record year of rain and all our lakes were bursting. We went from not being able to use the ramps because they were completely out of water to not being able to use the ramps because they were completely submerged.......all of which happened in about 4mths.

It's all cyclical and the water will come back.

All of that rainfall that yall got up there affected us down in Shreveport, LA. The boat launches on the Red River which oringinates from Lake Texoma have been closed since July 2nd because the water was too high.

TMCNo1
11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Last year, 2006, we had record rainfall in NC for the year. This year dry as a bone! Next year we'll get 7 feet of snow! Ya never know!

kjohnson
11-19-2007, 03:08 PM
I didn't know Lake Lanier had any water.

lanier92prostar
11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
At the rate it is going right now, it won't have any water!! It drops about a 1 every 4-6 days.

dog paw
11-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I cannot find a corps outflow chart for the lake, maybe the corps removed it from the net since it appears to be so controversial, but why in the hell are the outflows so high?

Hydroelectric$$?

I'm not sure about Lanier but our lake has some fool agreement with the countys downriver for a specified cubic ft of outflow regardless of what is coming in. Our lake looked like that a couple years back, I beleive there was enough outcry from homeowners to make a change. I would imagine running a nuclear plant dry could be hazardous to your health.....:confused: