PDA

View Full Version : Can not remove prop, please help...

kah68
05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I do not have a prop puller and do not live in an area with many inboards or marinas that services them. The prop on the boat is dinged pretty good so I have been putting heat to it and hitting it with a steel plate and a hammer on the back of the prop hub and this thing isn't moving. It is the older key way type shaft, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kirk

erkoehler
05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I could overnight out a prop puller to you, but you'd have to pay shipping.......:confused:

kah68
05-14-2007, 03:57 PM
I am in Canada is that a problem ?

theDano
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I was in a similar situation last year. A buddy of mine let me use a bearing puller. Worked great. It popped it right off in no time. The puller looked very similar to the image below...

butter
05-14-2007, 04:43 PM
I went through this last year, and tried a lot of different things... penetrating oil, heat, hammering on a crescent wrench around the hub, and a couple different pullers similar to that pictured above. The prop would absolutely not budge.

I finally broke down and bought a prop puller. I actually didn't think it would perform much better than the other pullers I had already tried. So, I found it a bit comical when it popped the prop loose with minimal effort in a matter of seconds (after having spent the better part of a couple evenings hassling with the other methods with no success).

In other words, I recommend the prop puller if you can get it.

Good luck!

theDano
05-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Yah I recommend the puller too......but I did not have one and I needed one in a pinch. I have a prop puller now though!!

gmille39
05-14-2007, 05:01 PM
After having to borrow a friend's everytime I needed to pull it, I broke down and spent the hundred bucks. Takes around 30 seconds from start to finish. If you're on the internet, you can get one pretty quickly.

Jim@BAWS
05-14-2007, 05:06 PM
PB Blaster...spray it on the back side of the shaft. Let it sit overnight
Then, keeping the prop nut on turned about 3 to 4 turns. Hit the prop
with a 2 lb sledge. Coat the shaft pretty good and let the PB Blaster penetrate over night

Good Luck

Jim@BAWS

erkoehler
05-14-2007, 05:34 PM
PB Blaster...spray it on the back side of the shaft. Let it sit overnight
Then, keeping the prop nut on turned about 3 to 4 turns. Hit the prop
with a 2 lb sledge. Coat the shaft pretty good and let the PB Blaster penetrate over night

Good Luck

Jim@BAWS

^^^^Try that and save yourself the $$$ on a puller and shipping.

WilliM1940
05-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Resist the temptation to beat on the shaft and get a puller. That hammer is being opposed by the transmission bearings. Tighten the puller with the nut on the shaft, heat the prop hub with a MAPP torch gently and evenly.

milkmania
05-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I was in a similar situation last year. A buddy of mine let me use a bearing puller. Worked great. It popped it right off in no time. The puller looked very similar to the image below...

autozone has pullers for rent:twocents:

not necessarily prop pullers, but if there's something you can catch behind the prop, and pop it off.:o

http://www.autozone.com/images/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_universal/27107L.jpg

http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_universal/pullers_universal.htm

TMCNo1
05-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Nevermind!

theDano
05-14-2007, 08:01 PM
DO NOT HIT WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER!!!.....you will end up using it on yourself if you knock things out of alignment.

kah68
05-14-2007, 08:19 PM
The generic pullers pictured will not clear the rudder so it look like I am looking for a puller.

theDano
05-14-2007, 08:33 PM
They will work....you just have to turn the rudder to a point to where the puller will fit. It works...I used one :)

kah68
05-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I have used 4 different types of puller, none of them were specific to my boat MC Tristar, does anyone offer a MC specific ( designed for ) puller, the 'One size fits all just isn't cutting it'

Thanks

Kirk

JKTX21
05-15-2007, 07:23 PM
My buddy fabricated his own prop puller. It consists of a 3/8" steel u-shaped plate, drilled to fit 3 & 4 blade props, 3, foot long 3/8" bolts with nuts on both ends, and a harmonic balancer that is kind of shaped like a flower.

You put the u-shaped plate behind the prop. The harmonic balancer on the front of the prop, stick the bolts through the balancer and plate and start tightening. Works well.

TMCNo1
05-15-2007, 07:32 PM
I have used 4 different types of puller, none of them were specific to my boat MC Tristar, does anyone offer a MC specific ( designed for ) puller, the 'One size fits all just isn't cutting it'

Thanks

Kirk
I don't think there are model specific prop pullers, but OJ has a puller that is made to work with the close together blade 4 blades and also on any 3 blade. Call Eric@1-800-359-9730 and he can advise you on what to buy and can fill your order.

87MCProstar
05-16-2007, 12:27 PM
I used a normal automotive pulley puller too. took one of the arms off which makes it easier to get even on the prop, and will work on 3 or 4 blade props.

kah68
05-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I ordered a puller from O.J. today.

Leroy
05-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Smart move, put some form of liquid wrench on there anyway. I had to put liquid wrench and then tap with regular hammer many times before mine broke loose.

east tx skier
05-16-2007, 10:02 PM
If all else fails, take a 2x4 and put one end against the back of the hub, then hit the 2x4 with increasing pressure with a hammer. Make sure you leave the nut on the shaft (loosened) so the prop doesn't end up on the garage floor.

kah68
05-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Well the O.J. puller came in today and what do you know, with some pretty forceful wrenching it came off!!!! Thanks to all of you who replied, I love this site and with be totally lost without it and all the advice from all the kind folks. I am going to take my ex*****ve (but worth it) O.J. puller and make a special spot on the peg board wall for it to live. I am the only guy around for miles with one of these babies (I asked everyone for miles) so I'm waiting for the day someone needs one. Enjoy the weekend, I'm off to the shack for a beer!

Kirk