PDA

View Full Version : Another Teak Refinishing Question... Teak Oil Won't Dry?

T5_Steve
05-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Not sure if I screwed up or if my teak oil went bad... but about 10 day ago, I gave my 3 year old teak platform a mild (200 grit) sanding-down and applied a coat of Starbrite Teak Oil/Sealer (white bottle from the complete refinishing kit). At the time, the temp inside the shed was in the low 60's, so I used a kerosene torpedo heater aimed in the direction of the platform to warm it and assist in drying. After about a day-and-a-half, the platform was dry to the touch. I began a lite (400 grit) sanding and noticed that it was "balling-up" as I sanded. I went ahead and sanded the rest of the platform, wiped it down, and applied another coat of the teak oil. That was over a week ago, and it's still tacky to the touch. This past weekend, I attempted to let it sit outside in the sun, but with the all the wind we had, I ended up bringing it back into the shed and brushed off all the tree pollen, gnats and dust that had stuck to it.

Should've I let the first coat dry longer? Perhaps my teak oil is beyond it's shelf-life? Any suggestions on what to do now... start over by wiping it down with mineral spirits and buying some new teak oil?

TIA,
Steve

TMCNo1
05-14-2007, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=T5_Steve]Not sure if I screwed up or if my teak oil went bad... but about 10 day ago, I gave my 3 year old teak platform a mild (200 grit) sanding-down and applied a coat of Starbrite Teak Oil/Sealer (white bottle from the complete refinishing kit). At the time, the temp inside the shed was in the low 60's, so I used a kerosene torpedo heater aimed in the direction of the platform to warm it and assist in drying. After about a day-and-a-half, the platform was dry to the touch. I began a lite (400 grit) sanding and noticed that it was "balling-up" as I sanded. I went ahead and sanded the rest of the platform, wiped it down, and applied another coat of the teak oil. That was over a week ago, and it's still tacky to the touch. This past weekend, I attempted to let it sit outside in the sun, but with the all the wind we had, I ended up bringing it back into the shed and brushed off all the tree pollen, gnats and dust that had stuck to it.

Should've I let the first coat dry longer? Perhaps my teak oil is beyond it's shelf-life? Any suggestions on what to do now... start over by wiping it down with mineral spirits and buying some new teak oil?

TIA,

The balling up is a indication the teak oil was not dry, be patient and just set in the sun for a few hours for a couple days and don't apply too much, just a light thin coat. It's really no different that with paint. I've been working out of the same quart bottle for 13 years.

theDano
05-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Well since I just went through this whole procedure, all I can say is to let'er dry good. There were some days that it was dry in 4 hours and then there was another day that it took over 2 days. I think it had to do with the amount of moisture (humidity) in the air. Just sounds like it wasn't dry if it balled up...but you would think that after a week it should have been dried.

Good thing is that you can always re-sand and no damage is done only time wasted.

Where are you storing it while it dries?

Doug G
05-14-2007, 04:59 PM
First coat on mine I had the same issue because I put it on too thick. Also made a big difference getting it out in the sun to dry. I wet sanded with soapy water to clean it off and start over.

I figured out that if I put on a relatively light coat, waited 5 minutes, applied more to any area that soaked it up and then after about 15 minutes wiped off the excess and then let it dry it worked well for me.

T5_Steve
05-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Well since I just went through this whole procedure, all I can say is to let'er dry good. There were some days that it was dry in 4 hours and then there was another day that it took over 2 days. I think it had to do with the amount of moisture (humidity) in the air. Just sounds like it wasn't dry if it balled up...but you would think that after a week it should have been dried.

Good thing is that you can always re-sand and no damage is done only time wasted.

Where are you storing it while it dries?

It's stored in an unheated pole shed. Inside temp when I put on the first coat was in the low 60's or high 50's. I agree, the first coat probably wasn't dry enough when I sanded and applied the second coat... guess I got kind of impatient. I'll let'r dry completely before doing any more sanding or oiling. Temps are now around 90, but very humid, so it should dry soon.

G-man
05-14-2007, 05:45 PM
When you put on the oil use Harolds by the palm of your hand method. Rub it in till nothing is left on your hand. Baking in the sun for a day should dry it out.

vogelm1
05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Same happened to me this season too...felt dry but when I went to sand it balled up; even after "drying" in the basement for a few days. I used a brush, so it was also going on too thick. Try leaving it directly in the sun for an afternoon (or preferrably all day) and that should take care of it. Then the next coat use a lint-free cloth, or as mentioned just your hand. I've found this takes an enormous amount of patience! Figured I could put on another coat every few hours, but it's more like every few days. But you will be rewarded with a great looking platform in the end.

TMCNo1
05-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Some tips,
-Light, thin coat, outside in the sun.
-Don't use artificial heat to dry it, use the sun.
-Don't apply the oil and put it in a building, basement or anywhere the air is still, outside in the sun.
-Don't put it in a car, truck or van, outside in the sun where the air is moving.
-Anytime it is above 65+ degrees, outside in the sun so it will absorb the heat from the sun.

I think there is a trend here, outside in the sun!

T5_Steve
05-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Some tips,
-Light, thin coat, outside in the sun.
-Don't use artificial heat to dry it, use the sun.
-Don't apply the oil and put it in a building, basement or anywhere the air is still, outside in the sun.
-Don't put it in a car, truck or van, outside in the sun where the air is moving.
-Anytime it is above 65+ degrees, outside in the sun so it will absorb the heat from the sun.

I think there is a trend here, outside in the sun!

So let me get this straight... put it on and let in dry outside, in the sun!? :rolleyes: I put it outside, in the sun and wind, after work today. Good news... it did seem to dry out a little more; bad news... now it's spotted-up with tree sap or something sticky, grit and pollen that was blowin' around with the wind. :mad: So now it's back in the shed with a fan blowin' on it to help continue the drying out. When it's good and dry, I'll hit it again with the 400 grit and apply a VERY LITE coat of oil, perhaps with a cloth instead of a brush.

If it turns out descent, I'll snap and post a pic... otherwise, it'll have to wait 'til next year.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions :)

T5_Steve
05-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Saturday was the perfect day for renewing the teak... warm, sunny, very light breeze.

Lite sand job to remove the tree sap spots and the dust/debris from attempt, and while outside in the sun, hand rub a lite coat of teak oil, used the Star Brite Premium Teak Oil (clear bottle), well into the surface and let dry for a couple of hours. Wow, it worked:)

In all, once I learned the secret, it wasn't a tuff job. As mentioned by many others, lite coats of teak oil hand-applied in direct sunlight and over 65 degrees, makes all the difference.

Thanks again.
Steve

TMCNo1
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Saturday was the perfect day for renewing the teak... warm, sunny, very light breeze.

Lite sand job to remove the tree sap spots and the dust/debris from attempt, and while outside in the sun, hand rub a lite coat of teak oil, used the Star Brite Premium Teak Oil (clear bottle), well into the surface and let dry for a couple of hours. Wow, it worked:)

In all, once I learned the secret, it wasn't a tuff job. As mentioned by many others, lite coats of teak oil hand-applied in direct sunlight and over 65 degrees, makes all the difference.

Thanks again.
Steve

What can I say, but congratulations and keep in it the sun as much as possible till you are ready to use it and it will be that much, much dryer.

Just put my last coat of teak oil on this morning @ 9am after light, dry sanding and 2.5 hours later it is dry. Have done this 3 times in the last week and let it stay out in the sun and breeze all day and bring it in at night even on days I don't apply a coat. Letting it cool down inside after being in the heat all day also has an effect on the drying process. If when it is outside drying, lint, a bug or 2 stick to it, just wait till it's dry and wipe with a damp towel and most anything on it will come off, then before applying any more oil, lightly dry sand with 1200 or 1500 or 2000 to get the pollen or dust knocked off, you can feel it with your hand, then wipe with a damp towel, tack and apply a light coat with the hand. Sounds complicated, but it is not!

QBhater
05-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I have been sanding and putting Teak oil on my swim step. It is 7 years old and never been refinished. I noticed that in some places it looks dry, not as dark. Does it need more Oil??

TMCNo1
05-21-2008, 11:09 PM
I have been sanding and putting Teak oil on my swim step. It is 7 years old and never been refinished. I noticed that in some places it looks dry, not as dark. Does it need more Oil??

It's possible, because the darker parts of the wood contain more natural oils than the lighter wood and it soaks into the lighter wood more. Sooner or later it will even out as you sand finer and apply the oil thinner, making sure it is thououghly dry between coats.

bxroads
05-21-2008, 11:17 PM
How tuff is it to find platforms at a reasonable price (1997 190)? I'm tired of catching hell over mine but have the boat in the water to often to refinish it like it ought to be refinished. I'm thinking a spare is the ticket...........

TMCNo1
05-22-2008, 07:43 AM
How tuff is it to find platforms at a reasonable price (1997 190)? I'm tired of catching hell over mine but have the boat in the water to often to refinish it like it ought to be refinished. I'm thinking a spare is the ticket...........
Teak World, Lebenon, TN, 1-615-444-7269