PDA

View Full Version : Shredded Impeller by ?Shear Pin? part 1 of 2

Tap
05-14-2007, 11:44 AM
First I have to admit I did a rush job winterizing the boat last October.(2005 PS197 TT) Last Saturday I attempted to flush the antifreeze out in the driveway with the fake-a-lake. The engine fired up first try and I was so excited that I almost missed the fact that no liquid was sputtering out the back. I panicked! Killed the engine and changed my shorts.:eek:

I pulled the impeller with my handy dandy paint can openers and some KY (thanks again) to find this.....

So I checked the inside of the pump casing .. seemed okay see below.

Tap
05-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I pulled the inlet hoses and outlet hoses to removed the rest of the rubber blades of the impeller. I found the following item. looks like a shear pin, in the raw water intake grill. ON THE INSIDE OF THE GRILL.

It was a pain to get it out. see pix.

I replaced the impeller with my spare and haven't fired the engine up yet. (A little scared.)

My Question is
1. What is it?
2. How the .... did it get there?

Thanks in advance,
tap

Brazos Bum
05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I saw the same shredded impeller on an 2006 boat of another brand on Saturday. As we dropped our boat in the river another boat was pulling out on the other lane. The owner looked pretty beaten down so I asked him if everything was OK. He said he had just launched and the engine was getting really hot.

He looked really puzzled when I suggested that he check the impeller, like he'd never heard of such a thing. I hopped in and we pulled the cover off his raw water pump and saw the remains of what was once an impeller. I grabbed my spare impeller out of the glove box and he was back in business without even getting the boat off the ramp.

I imagine he will change his impeller faithfully in future years.

Jabrew
05-14-2007, 12:15 PM
That pin I believe is from the rudder shaft that fits in the splice under the split pin. Have you recently removed your rudder?

bigmac
05-14-2007, 12:30 PM
That pin I believe is from the rudder shaft that fits in the splice under the split pin. Have you recently removed your rudder?http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudderkeyway.jpg

Keyway pin from the rudder shaft - I'd check that before taking the boat back out - loss of the keyway would mean that the tiller pinch bolt is the only thing keeping the boat from losing steering control. How it would get into the RW intake would certainly be a mystery.

beatle78
05-14-2007, 01:31 PM
hmmm.....

do you take the intake hose off during winterization? If the pin was loose on the bottom of the boat and you washed the inside of the boat, there's a chance it could've fallen in there...... perhaps.....

Tap
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM
I did lube the steering system during the winterization, I'll check tonight to see if that is where it came from. The only thing I can think of how it got into the intake is I washed the bilge, but I would have had to suck it back up through the garden hose... weird.

I am glad I didn't try to launch yesterday if it is a steering pin.

One final question, I butchered my Air filter in my mad grab to turn off the engine. Is there a way to correct the damage seen below...

G-man
05-14-2007, 02:37 PM
you need to clean and oil that filter, looks pretty dry. K&N has a kit at the autoparts store with what you need.

Tap
05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Is there anything that can straighten out the bent mesh and filter folds?

TMCNo1
05-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Can you turn the element upside down, once you clean and re-oil it?

TMCNo1
05-14-2007, 03:46 PM

K&N and MC dealers have replacement elements too, if you want to replace it.

Tap
05-14-2007, 05:31 PM
I'll see if I can turn it upside down tonight. THat would seem to be easiest way to 'slip it under the rug.'

Thx again,
tap

G-man
05-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Can you turn the element upside down, once you clean and re-oil it?

Might be hard to do with the tube attached on the right side.

vogelm1
05-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't think you'll be able to turn it upside down because I'm pretty sure the breather nipple is attached to the filter...unless you get a longer breather hose and run it around to the other side. You might be able to get a needle nose pliers and straighten things up a bit, but probably won't look perfect. If it keeps bugging you, looks like a new one needs to be ordered.

Tap
05-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Bigmac - I checked the steering system and there is a cotter key that holds the shear pin in. I agree that is what it looks like, but unless they are multiplying inside my rudder I don't know where this came from.

bigmac
05-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Bigmac - I checked the steering system and there is a cotter key that holds the shear pin in. I agree that is what it looks like, but unless they are multiplying inside my rudder I don't know where this came from.

Yup - but you had to check. The consequences of losing that keyway could be disastrous.

JimN
05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
It's not a shear pin- that's the rudder shaft. There's no reason the key should have been in the fresh water hose, ahead of the pump but my guess is that it fell out during assembly and they just grabbed another one. The impeller doesn't use one and it looks new, with no marks, as if it had been banging around somewhere. If it got to the pump, you wouldn't have found it in the pickup grate.

I'll say it again- I don't like Fake-A-Lake. It can't flow enough water and the chance of the plunger cup not sealing well is too good to make me think it works as well as attaching a hose to the water pump inlet and sucking water out of a large container. Using a container also lets you see how much and how fast the water is being consumed.

The first thing I would do now is check the oil cooler to make sure it's cleared out.

Tap
05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I think I am going to chalk this one up to gremlins and enjoy the summer. Oiler cooler is clean. That was the second part I checked after removing the remaning bits of impeller.