PDA

View Full Version : Skied for first time today in 18 years....

Bubble
05-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Wowee! I've posted here before when I was having troubles and that's the point of this one.

I probably slalomed over 1000 times, but I haven't had access to a boat since I was 18. That was 18 years ago.

I swore I'd just get up the first try last November when we bought our Maristar 230. I was quite wrong.

I had to drop over 40 lbs. and work on grip; still in the cold water of March, no dice.

I got a wider ski (Obrien Freerunner (cheap ski, not great)) and still had trouble.

Finally I realize my wife who didn't really know how to pull, was gunning too hard. I realized I don't need 330 HP to get me up afterall.

Anyway, yippeeeeeeee! I did it!!! (even though the water was choppy as hell and there were wakes everywhere). Wasn't too much fun in that rough water but I assume it will get easier and easier over the next two weeks.

...gonna be hurtin' tomorrow, but that's a small price for a second childhood, eh?

BTW, some of the info here helped.

The thing that helped the most was that I needed to keep my shoulders back. Once I did that I was there. Once I got my arse out of the water and straightend my legs it was on.

Now I just need to get up on my Mach 1 (a thinner ski) and it's game on full speed. I have two weeks before we have a lakehouse rented. Should be all ready.

Again, yahooooo!!

tex
05-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Congrats and welcome back!

Hoosier Bob
05-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Ah the Mach 1! HO at it's finest! I did the same a few years back. Have the dings to show for it! Had to be hitting me too soft. My ride it is best to roll into it. I asked for more not realizing he was already hitting hard. My cousin has an IO. He hits extra hard and it took awhile to get used to standing into it and "Popping" up. No worries for the last 4 years or so but still getting older! I have found I can take a hard hit now much easier than a soft drag. Between the cigarettes and beer I only have so much energy! Nice job and good luck with the M1!

HB

Bubble
05-14-2007, 12:18 AM
I need to get used to the extra HP. I assume I should be able to use that to my advantage after I build some strenght over the next week or two. I'll be going at least 3 times a week.

I grew up getting up on a boat that would just barely get me up so I have my wife pulling me up slowly. I'd rather save the energy.

You mentioned "standing into it". Do you mean you straighten your legs quicker and just lean back. I think I tried that once, hell that may have been the time I got up.

.... Also, I hate to get to many things going at once but how do you teach a wife to pull up a skier? I'm telling her to accelerate smoothly but to be assertive and get up to speed. How do you tell your wives (or other rookie drivers) to pull you up?

JohnE
05-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Congrats. Don't feel too bad, it took me 3 times to get up behind Shep's 35th yesterday. (I'm using the dozen or so Coors as an excuse. Couldn't have been my fault ;) )

Chicago190
05-14-2007, 02:08 AM
.... Also, I hate to get to many things going at once but how do you teach a wife to pull up a skier? I'm telling her to accelerate smoothly but to be assertive and get up to speed. How do you tell your wives (or other rookie drivers) to pull you up?

My guess is practice and learning how she pulls you up, I don't really know since pulling people up is just 2nd nature to me after 6 years. It will probably be easier for you to identify what she is doing wrong once you get back into skiing because you'll notice what shes doing differently and if you like it or dislike it.

I like a quick idle drag then about 50% power applied quickly to get the engine RPMs up for the initial pull, then a smooth but quick application of more power until I'm about 90% out of the water then slowly drop back and accelerate to speed.

Bubble
05-14-2007, 02:13 PM
All I can say now is, it's only noon and ....oh the soreness!!! It's really kicking in.

I'll be useless by tonight I suppose, well worth it though.

Willski
05-14-2007, 02:18 PM
All I can say now is, it's only noon and ....oh the soreness!!! It's really kicking in.

I'll be useless by tonight I suppose, well worth it though.

I skied Friday for the first time of the year. Only took about 6 passes through the course, but I am really sore.

C36
05-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Congratulations - well done!