PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring issues

swatguy
05-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Well my trailer seems to have gone haywire.........When I hook up the truck to the trailer everything works fine with turn signals brake lights and reverse lights. Then when I turn on the headlights and hit the left turn signal the signal freezes on the truck dash and nothing happens. The right turn signal works fine...........Anybody got any ideas or experienced this problem. Like I said it only freezes when the headlights are on and the left turn signal is on.

trickskier
05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Well my trailer seems to have gone haywire.........When I hook up the truck to the trailer everything works fine with turn signals brake lights and reverse lights. Then when I turn on the headlights and hit the left turn signal the signal freezes on the truck dash and nothing happens. The right turn signal works fine...........Anybody got any ideas or experienced this problem. Like I said it only freezes when the headlights are on and the left turn signal is on.
Check all of your lights on your truck and make sure one isn't burned out.

TMCNo1
05-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Sorry, double post!

TMCNo1
05-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Check all of your lights on your truck and make sure one isn't burned out.

Sounds like you have a ground problem, check it again! Run a test jumper (raw metal to raw metal) from the trailer to the tow vehicle, seperate from what you have now and see what happens.

pilot02
05-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Sounds like you have a ground problem, check it again! Run a test jumper (raw metal to raw metal) from the trailer to the tow vehicle, seperate from what you have now and see what happens.

My thoughts exactly!

vogelm1
05-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Had same thing happen with the fishing boat a couple years ago...ended up being a ground issue. The "jumper wire" as TMC mentions above is what I used too. Long story short, the receiver that the hitch plugs into was corroded/rusty enough to not allow a good, solid ground and caused the wacky things to happen.

TMCNo1
05-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Had same thing happen with the fishing boat a couple years ago...ended up being a ground issue. The "jumper wire" as TMC mentions above is what I used too. Long story short, the receiver that the hitch plugs into was corroded/rusty enough to not allow a good, solid ground and caused the wacky things to happen.

That's right, been there, done that! No problem when the trailer didn't have brakes, then when I installed Disc brakes, the actuator killed the ground, because of the moving parts/lube and had to run a seperate one to make it work.

dichdoc
05-14-2007, 11:53 PM
TMC would runnig a dedicated ground wire to everything help? TB