PDA

View Full Version : cracked manifold

rock skier
05-12-2007, 10:41 PM
My port side exhaust manifold had a hairline crack in the stern end of it. It's on the top of the manifold and it slowly drips water when the engine is running. I only noticed it today because we were running the motor with the cover up and I saw it dripping. I think it's been doing this for a while as there is a small rust stain spot on the hose that the water is dripping on. Will the motor be alright running like this? Or will the manifold eventually get worse? There really isn't much water coming out of the crack when it runs.

Ryan
05-13-2007, 04:54 PM
My port side exhaust manifold had a hairline crack in the stern end of it. It's on the top of the manifold and it slowly drips water when the engine is running. I only noticed it today because we were running the motor with the cover up and I saw it dripping. I think it's been doing this for a while as there is a small rust stain spot on the hose that the water is dripping on. Will the motor be alright running like this? Or will the manifold eventually get worse? There really isn't much water coming out of the crack when it runs.

The manifold will likely get worse. You can/should replace the manifold for pretty cheap with Sierra or other brands. It's near impossible to find manifolds that say MasterCraft Power on them.

One cheap alternative is to get an exhaust patch at an auto store with the wire mesh and putty/epoxy. It will at least stop the leak for now and may keep it from getting wider and rusting more.