View Full Version : Clamp Block Bracket.....
05-12-2007, 08:32 PM
I've an 84 Stars and Stripes, could anyone with a a similiar steering system please help me out.
I'm trying to replace the clamp block but the bracket that it mounts to will not work with it. The clamp is from skidim. It appears as if my current set up may have been previously modified.
If someone could post a picture of the correct clamp block and bracket set up, I'll MUCH appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
05-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Sorry, I am a little confused.
Are you talking about behind the dash or back by the rudder?
05-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I was in a hurry to pick up the kids and short changed my question.
Its the block just in front of the rudder. I'll take a picture tomorrow but will try to explain.
Here's the block bracket
On my boat there is an "L" steel bracket (#1) bolted to the bottom of the boat. Then there is another bracket (#2) bolted to the L bracket (#1). This bracket (#2) has a sleeve in it for the bolt that attaches to the block bracket (#3 pictured above).
The sleeve on mine (#2) is threaded as if the block bracket (#3) should have a threaded stud (versus the bolt being screwed into it). It appears as if the previous owner purchased the exact same kit, cut off the head of the bolt, and threaded then welded it into the block bracket (#3). He then screwed the stud into the sleeved bracket (#2).
Also, even if I were to drill out the threads of the sleeved bracket (#2), the bolt head will not fit in the sleeve.
I know this sounds confusing, I'll post a pic first thing in the morning.
05-13-2007, 12:51 AM
This thread sheds a little more light on it. Sounds like the sleeve is suppose to be threaded but the ball should have a stud. Thus, the skidim kit will need a modification, unless a dealer can round one up, which I doubt.
05-13-2007, 10:14 AM
In searching the forums I found a pic of a setup like mine. It was part of a much larger image so I had to crop and enlarge which distorts the image but I think its clear enough to recognize the parts.
Notice the cable in the clamp box is less than 2" (guessing) from the face of the sleeved bracket. There's no way to get it that close with the skidim clamp block.
The previous owner did in fact modify the skidim clampblock. His modification was structurally sound. However, the orientation was not correct which led to the rough steering that prompted me to dig into the situation.
Any ideas? To me the easiest solution would be to fabricate another L bracket (#1) that would be positioned so that the skidim clampbox bolt could be attached directly to it.
05-14-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure if you broke any copyright laws by using my picture (LOL)but I tried to zoom in we'll see if it shows any better. I just put my floor back in last week too! I'm still alittle confused on exactly what you need to fix. Maybe if you take a pic? TB
05-14-2007, 11:28 PM
I'll try again but most likely it won't work. Yeah there clear but clearly too small. Let me know I can pull the floor and get you whatever you need. I think I'm starting to get the problem. The skidim clamp puts the cable to far out of line causing the bad steering? I think your probably on the right track with building a new mount for your skidim clamp. I also run a small fab shop if you don't have the resources to build a bracket I'd be happy to help. Travis
05-15-2007, 07:35 AM
The skidim clamp puts the cable to far out of line causing the bad steering? I think your probably on the right track with building a new mount for your skidim clamp. I also run a small fab shop if you don't have the resources to build a bracket I'd be happy to help. Travis
You are correct, the problem is that extension on the new clamp block puts the cable to far out of line. The bolt head also must be cut off and converted to a "stud" on the clamp block. Both the clamp block and the sleeve on the center bracket is threaded and there is no way to get the bolt in from the back side of the sleeved bracket thus drilling out the threads in it is not an option.
The way to go is to fabricate another steel bracket. I'll have the current vertical plate on the steel L bracket cut off and welded at a 15 degree angle where the red line is on the horizontal plate (see pic below) and attach the new clamp block directly to it doing away with the center bracket. According to my calculations this will position the jaws as they were with the original set up.