PDA

View Full Version : Holly Carb Issues

sanjuan23
05-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I know I know I am still using the 4010 but here's the issue. Put the boat in for the first time this morning. Fired right up great then after about a minute or two.... 2k RPM Idle??? Shut it down fired right back up 800 rpm idle. Make about a 20 minute run burning the old fuel pull the throttle back to idle and whamo 2k RPM. Messed with the idle adjustment screws no luck. Idles great at start up then once you put it gear and back into Neutral back up to 2k Idle. Help! Thanks!

P.S. Eastie this is what I was calling you about this morning. Sorry for no message the lake patrol decided to creep up on us.

east tx skier
05-12-2007, 09:36 PM
I didn't see the missed call until after I read this post. Mine did this once when the throttle cable was binding up on me because it was not mounted close enough to level. Do you have Perfect Pass? When I would shut down, the perfect pass servo would wind up when I'd turn the key back on so it would idle fine. But once I pushed the throttle forward and brought it back to idle, it'd hang at about 1,200 rpm or so.

Just left you a message.

sanjuan23
05-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Bump bump bump???

ksmaristar91
05-14-2007, 09:59 AM
similar question, wich screws are the idle screws my boat seems to be surginig, at idle. Was curious if i can adjust this.

milkmania
05-14-2007, 10:04 AM
I remember once my 88 K5 BLazer (throttle body) did this....

broken base gasket sucking air in.
The way I found the vacuum problem was to spray carb. cleaner at the base of the throttle body while it was running ( VERY cautiously!!!, you don't need to saturate the base gasket).

if it's sucking air, you'll notice a fluctuation in RPM's..... either up or down, I don't remember.

again, do this cautiously! I tried it on a 1985 S15Jimmy, and the carb cleaner got too hot, and it flashed!:firejump:
but, I saturated it because it was difficult to get the cleaner sprayed at the base. Our boats will be much more open to work within:twocents:

(my son and I looked at each other, and both said "that was cool"):rolleyes:

sanjuan23
05-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Someone mentioned to me that it might be an issue with the choke(s) on the carb. Yeah or neah.

Wouter
05-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Could be your carburetor throttle secondary connecting rod that is a bit lose and not coming back to where it should when you return to idle... Quite common on older carbs. Bend it lightly outwards with pliers and see if it changes anything or get a new one for your specific carb. Should set you back only a few $.

milkmania
05-25-2007, 10:50 PM
I know I know I am still using the 4010 but here's the issue. Put the boat in for the first time this morning. Fired right up great then after about a minute or two.... 2k RPM Idle??? Shut it down fired right back up 800 rpm idle. Make about a 20 minute run burning the old fuel pull the throttle back to idle and whamo 2k RPM. Messed with the idle adjustment screws no luck. Idles great at start up then once you put it gear and back into Neutral back up to 2k Idle. Help! Thanks!

P.S. Eastie this is what I was calling you about this morning. Sorry for no message the lake patrol decided to creep up on us.

well, what was it?

Willski
05-25-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't have any experience with perfect pass, but if you don't have it try just disconnecting the throttle cable from the carb. Just a troubleshooting idea. If that solves it, then your cable could be in a bind. If not, then that is ruled out. As for a vacuum leak at the base of the carb, I'm not sure I would use spray carb cleaner. Could build up and flash. You might try a bead of dish soap, see if it is being sucked in. Also, I know if I have my mixture screws set really lean, then my boat will idle very high after a ski run, but only for about 30 sec. to a minute, then settle down.