PDA

View Full Version : Stupid shadetree mechanic errors

loeweb
05-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Well I finally got my boat running this week with a little help from my mechanic neighbor. Turns out that the idiot that put the EI in my boat (myself) put the new distributor shaft on the wrong way, thus throwing the timing all off. Luckily it was an easy fix and wasn't nearly as costly as it could have been. So I think this will be a good place to post all the stupid things we have ever done to our boats that was either detrimental to them running or worse.

sbuell
05-14-2007, 02:18 PM
When I first got my boat the electrical was a mess. I set out to totally rewire everything. As most here have found out getting a decent wire diagram for the older MCs is nearly impossible. I had carefully traced every wire as best I could when I took it apart but still messed one connection up when I put all the new wire in. I ended up with the ignition wire straight to ground. As soon as I turned the key to on I created a 9 foot long heating element. Fortunately I spotted the smoke from the insulation before much damage was done to anything. Biggest loses were the wire harness and the tubing from my port side speedo pickup that was neatly melted through in about 4 places.

LakePirate
05-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I changed my oil in my Avalanche yesterday....missed the drain pan and dumped a bunch of oil on the driveway. Smooth move.

Slinkyredfoot
05-14-2007, 08:48 PM
This is the main reason I try to do all of this kinda stuff myself, this way I am able to control MY screwups and if I need someone to blame I can always blame my dog Boomer, he is so forgiving....:D