PDA

View Full Version : depth sounder adjusting

pjwalnuts
05-12-2007, 11:40 AM
i have an 03 X7 it has an in dash Lowrance 3500 digital sounder. The sounder does not read anything in water any less than 9 (nine) feet. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust them? I have taken it out of the dash and there is no obvious adjustment screw. The water we ski in is never more than 4 or 5 feet so it would be nice to have a sounder that works.

JimN
05-12-2007, 12:08 PM
No adjustment, only moving the puck. If it was epoxied in, it's not permanent and can be removed by biffing (that's the technical word) the puck form the side- not too hard but it will come off. I used a dead blow hammer for this before and never had a problem. Then, put some water in the bilge and place the puck in some locations that are likely to give an accurate reading. This means not behind the strut, shaft, anything that projects into the water from the hull or could cause turbulence. Next to and just ahead of the propshaft seemed to work pretty well. You can move the puck to get a better reading if you need and once you have accuracy, get rid of the water, clean the hull with solvent and epoxy it down with no bubbles and not a thick layer of adhesive.

pjwalnuts
05-14-2007, 09:30 PM
thanks for the help. after i read your advice i went out and looked in the bilge and the transducer is almost right behind the paddle wheel. i think i'll move it. thanks again.