PDA

View Full Version : boat slips out of gear at low speed

master351craft
05-12-2007, 12:03 AM
I am a first time user of team talk. I appreciate any input.

I have a 1990 Tristar 190 with 351 Indmar and velvet drive transmission. The boat is used mostly for skiing, tubing and pleasure riding. I bought the boat in 2004 and have used different mechanics with little success. I am not mechanical enough to do the work myself. I have the boat serviced every spring and fall. My questions are as follows:
1. At slow speed the boat will slip out of gear. Sometimes when I am moving the throttle forward to start out slowly, it also slips out of gear. Any ideas?
2. Does everyone change their transmission fluid every year as the owners manual indicates? Last fluid change 5-05. Is this the problem?
3. As far as I know the mechanics have never checked the propeller shaft coupling flange allignment as instructed in the owners manual. Could this be part of the problem?
4. I hit a major rock last year. I have since had the prop repaired. I cannot remember if the problem occurred before I hit the rock. Could it be related to this?
5. Does anyone know a good mechanic in southeastern Wisconsin, Milwaukee area?

Thanks again in advance for any suggestions.

Leroy
05-12-2007, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the board Mastert351craft! There are several that may be able to help but I'm hoping JimN will respond. I would only be guessing that the rock did have something to do with it.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
05-12-2007, 09:57 AM
check your transmission fluid level. if it is low, it may slip on you

Skibumtx
05-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Need to warm the engine/transmission up first before checking the level. Also, check for water in the transmission fluid. If you find any, you will need to drain and refill a couple of times.

master351craft
05-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I will try having the mechanic change the transmission fluid with the summer tune up. If I still have problems I will look at the prop and shaft more.

east tx skier
05-13-2007, 11:13 AM
To answer one of your questions, I change my transmission fluid every year, but if the last one was at 05/05, shouldn't be a problem as long as the level's good and there's no water in it.

master351craft
05-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Any body pleased with their inboard mechanic. Most dealerships do not want to work on mine since it is a 1990.

east tx skier
05-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I believe JimN is somewhere around there. I don't think that's his main gig anymore, but I'm sure if he's not in the biz, he can recommend someone great.

WTRSK1R
05-13-2007, 12:46 PM
You might want to try Summerset Marine in Delafield. They are new to the area, but have had a MC dealership in Delavan for a couple of years. I have heard good things about them, but have not used them personally yet.

Steve