PDA

View Full Version : Freeze plug problem

jetlife
05-11-2007, 07:07 PM
I think the freeze plug on the back of the block popped out. Any idea on how big a job it is to get to this thing. Is is easier to pull the motor or the trans? Anybody have a short cut? Once I get to it I can put it back in easy enough. I'm just looking for guidance on the best way to get to it?

Thanks

Jay

MarkL
05-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I had one pop out a few years ago. I just tapped it back in. Didn't have to pull the motor or anything and have had no problems since. I carry one of those "generic" replacements onboard --the kind that is rubber and compresses as you turn a nut.

rock skier
05-12-2007, 01:59 PM
If you can get to it with a punch and a hammer just knock it back in. It worked on one that popped out last summer and so far one that I lost this summer.

Are those generic replacement plugs ok for full time service? I'm worried about the one I put back in this summer as it's not in square. It was hard to get it seated properly because it's behind an engine mount so I couldn't get a good angle on it with the hammer/punch/etc... It's holding for now but may not for the long run.

JohnnyB
05-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I agree if you can get to it with a hammer and punch, you can pound it back in.

I believe you should put some type of sealer around the edge.....look in the permatex section at your auto supply store.

Also, why did it come out? If it is improper winterization, you may want to do a compression test and leakdown test to make sure nothing else is damaged.

bells197
05-12-2007, 04:47 PM
If you have a socket that is big enough, you should be able to pop it back in squarly. (is that a word?) I had a couple pop out of mine and nothing was wrong with the engine. Those freeze plugs work great. You should think about preventing that from happening again though. A buddy of mine cracked his block when it froze and we had to replace the engine. If it runs good, go with it.