PDA

View Full Version : Propeller shaft strut question...

butter
05-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Has anyone else had issues with mismatched hole patterns, when replacing a strut?

Last year, while attempting a shaft alignment, I discovered that the strut on my '92 205 was bent ( http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9620 ). I bought a new one at the local mastercraft dealer, but the spacing on the eight holes for attachment to the hull was different, and the new strut would not fit without significant modification to the strut or hull. I returned the strut to the dealer and asked for the correct strut, but was told there were no other options, since mastercraft has been using the same strut for 30+ years. I didn't completely believe this since the part number for the new strut was different than the one on my old strut. So, I gave up on a new strut for the time being, and was able to bend and shim the old one adequately enough to finish the season.

Over the winter, I picked up a NOS strut on ebay. The part number stamped on it matched the one on my old strut (20-0399). I finally got around to taking the old one off again yesterday, and was disappointed to learn that the hole spacing is different on this one too. The holes on the old strut are spaced 2 7/8", width-wise, while the holes on the new strut are spaced 3". I know that doesn't sound like much difference, but it is enough that the new strut does not fit. I am going to drill out the holes to make it fit, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this phenomenon, or if I am completely missing something?

88 PS190
05-11-2007, 03:34 PM
any evidence of a repair on the strut already? could someone have filled and redrilled the hull to mount that strut?

butter
05-11-2007, 04:07 PM
any evidence of a repair on the strut already? could someone have filled and redrilled the hull to mount that strut?

I suppose it's possible, but I haven't seen any evidence that the hull has been modified to fit the current strut, which appears to be original.