PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lift questions

dpolen
05-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi Guys,
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a boat lift for my leased slip. I'm likely going to buy a 4000lb Shorestation (they have a used one and a new one). The lift guy has suggested to me that I buy centering guides since I will have to make a sharp right turn into my slip. Are they worth $500?? I guess I could always get them added later on, but I was curious if anybody else has gone this route.

Secondly, there is a $450 difference between new & used...is a new one worth $450 more??? Looking for opinions.

Thanks!
Doug

boatless
05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I would buy used. Lift don't have that many changes if it is only a few years apart. Used have touch water, new only touch air. :rolleyes: Use that $450.00 for some boat stuff.

boatless.

Evan Jones
05-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I bought mine without the guides and ended up ordering them soon after I started using it. It is difficult to get the boat in the correct place each time you put it on the lift. I'd pay 450 more for a new one just for the peace of mind knowing everything is new and not abused. Good luck

Rockman
05-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi Guys,
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a boat lift for my leased slip. I'm likely going to buy a 4000lb Shorestation (they have a used one and a new one). The lift guy has suggested to me that I buy centering guides since I will have to make a sharp right turn into my slip. Are they worth $500?? I guess I could always get them added later on, but I was curious if anybody else has gone this route.

Secondly, there is a $450 difference between new & used...is a new one worth $450 more??? Looking for opinions.

Thanks!
Doug

Buy the new one...the $450 isn't much in the long run. The new one should have a "real" warranty as compared to the used one.

We have the center guides. They are nice and help the boat sit better on the lift.

jwchapman
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I have the guides. Proves very valuable when putting the boat on the lift by yourself - at least for me. I have to get out to flip the switch to lift the boat and the guides help keep it centered.

dpolen
05-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Would the guides help make getting into my slip a lot easier since I have to make a sharp turn into the slip in shallow water?

Rich_G
05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
$500 for guide poles? that is a total rip-off! Give me two $20 bills and one trip to Home Depot and I can get your guide poles.

Seriously, buy some angle iron pieces (the kind that have bolt holes), some bolts, and some Schedule 40 (heavy duty) PVC and you can easily make some guide poles that will mount to the boat lift frame. Go look at the other lifts and see how its done.

You will want guide poles but it is so simple. I will look for some pictures on some other sites.

Rich_G
05-11-2007, 01:53 PM
here is a pic from another site, not my lift, not my boat

there are two pieces of angle iron. see the short piece? on the other side of the horizontal beam there is a longer piece. the PVC slides over the longer piece.
would you pay $500 for this?

Jesus_Freak
05-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Would the guides help make getting into my slip a lot easier since I have to make a sharp turn into the slip in shallow water?

Definitely GET the guides (but do not spend that kind of cash). Dude, I cannot drive my boat on a lift in perfect conditions with a mile of setup distance :o .

88 PS190
05-11-2007, 03:43 PM
i'm pretty good and landing, but you really will want guides.

Don't get the carpeted horizontal bunks, they will destroy your vinyl.

If you get the uprights with pvc covers the covers will roll along your rub rail and not hurt graphics.

dpolen
05-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Rich...you're absolutely right, that's a lot of dough for something that simple. Seriously, a big thank you.

Rockman
05-11-2007, 04:02 PM
here is a pic from another site, not my lift, not my boat

there are two pieces of angle iron. see the short piece? on the other side of the horizontal beam there is a longer piece. the PVC slides over the longer piece.
would you pay $500 for this?

No, I would pay about $10 for those. But the nice carperted ones that we have that are horizontal, I would. To each his own...