PDA

View Full Version : Let go

mrcrowson
05-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Some of you might know that a year ago I took a chance and moved to Indianapolis to be closer to some family. I have been working (TEMP) for a machine shop up here as a Designer. I was told this morning that my last day will be the 18th. I will say it was a shock to me but I have taken this better than you might think. My wife and I are strong believers that certain things happen for a reason. I also know that God has plans for me. I am not going to let this slow me down! I have been working for about a month now on starting up my own Landscape Lighting business. Though it has been lots of work, establishing a catchy name, becoming a corporation, finding some suppliers, having business cards and signs printed, getting everything in place to start running with it. Well now is my chance to go. I am going to start ramping up the business and hopefully get some jobs under my belt. I took a chance moving up here and now it is time switch gears and move on the business. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I take this chance and go for it.

Thanks for your help.
Michael

I also wanted to post a photo taken of my home that I have just finished lighting it up.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/mrcrowson/home.jpg
Here is the company name we choose. and the layout of the business card.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/mrcrowson/LOGONAME.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/mrcrowson/BACK.jpg

sanjuan23
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
The Lighting looks fantastic good luck with your new venture!

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 10:53 AM
That's great, good for you.:D
Do I have this correct? You are an installation company?

Would you mind if I give you an opinion on something on your house....?

mrcrowson
05-11-2007, 11:00 AM
YES
Meeting with the customer, Designing the lighting display, and installing it,

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
I am considering a system for my own home once I complete the landscaping. I do have something to note on the picture you posted. I see this often and I wonder what people think when they do this, here goes....

While I love the look of the 1st floor and everything you did looks great. I want to know why someone would want a "spot" light in the bedroom window on the second floor?(Yours may not be a bedroom in the picture) but I see that often. I do like the look of the 2nd floor being having lights as well, but isn't there a much less "direct" light that can be placed so you don't get the "spot light" effect?

How many watts are you running?

Leroy
05-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Good luck Michael! There is a lot of demand for this in Carmel/Fishers area. I have confidnence in you! I may be calling you myself!

mrcrowson
05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I know what you mean and I have been looking around for different options to light up the second story and not cutting it off, Good thing is that one of the rooms is a craft room and the other is the dogs room and they can't complain to me about that bright light. I have 19 lights and I am running a 900 watt transformer but only using about 600 of it. Why 900 then, The transformers work much cleaner and efficent if you do not load them up to the peak.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Looks good to me! the biz cards look great! Best of luck, and hope all goes well! Keep us posted!:)

BTW, if Hoosier Bob calls you, he is not looking for the lights you sell, he is looking for a different "light" all together.....the kind that come in a silver can. 8p ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
I also have to ask.
Are there any options you have found so far to use LEDs? Or perhaps Cold Cathode Flourescents?
Or just a more energy efficient option in general?

mrcrowson
05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
HAHA Good one UMP!:uglyhamme

mrcrowson
05-11-2007, 11:54 AM
I have looked into LED lights and one of my suppliers carries them however you also need a DC driver to run them and that boots up the cost for them. But 19 lights at 12 volts and only using 600 watts to run them is pretty efficient. Considering (1) 500 watt flood light plugged into a regular 120 outlet.

LED LIGHT
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/mrcrowson/15710BKT_cowl.jpg

rodltg2
05-11-2007, 12:04 PM
good luck and welcom to owning your own business. just hope you'll have time to enjoy the boat still..

JimN
05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Find a copy of CE Pro magazine. The May issue has a list of the 100 largest home integrators in the country and three are in the Indianapolis area. You'll want to start small(ish) to get a feel for the local market but your connections can get your foot in the door.

#66 is Digitech Custom Audio & Video, Inc

#69 is Triphase Technologies and

#91 is Premier Custom Audio & Video, Inc

If you can get to the point of being the "go to" guy for some of these places, you'll be set. This magazine has a lot of good info for business owners in the industry and under the name, it lists Integration-Audio/Video-Networking-Control-Convergence.

You can get a subscription at www.cepro.com

You can't do both jobs well, so you may as well do the one you really want to do.

There has to be a company that sells LED spots with the AC-DC conversion done internally. With 12VAC feed, you could do the mod yourself, as long as you have room in the shell. A small transformer and a bridge rectifier are all it would take and can be very small. There's no reason they can't accept a 12VAC feed and still use LED. Also, if you use AC for the feed, you don't have to deal with line loss, either.

Slinkyredfoot
05-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Hey Michael, thanks for stopping by the other night and I know you will be fine. If you do really fall on hard times you can always mow my yard for me.....

mrcrowson
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Gee Thanks Steve! :D Looks Pretty Dark At Your House>:woohoo: Need Some Lights?

betsy&david Harrison
05-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Congrats! And I might add that I have always been a little green with envy for people who can come up with the ingenuity and creativity to run their buisness of their dreams. Not sure if that came out right, but I wish you well.

BriEOD
05-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Best of luck Michael.

Ric
05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
sounds exciting! There is plenty of work for your previous skills if you want to go back into that line. Only thing is, you might have to move to this area

05-11-2007, 02:40 PM
sounds exciting! There is plenty of work for your previous skills if you want to go back into that line. Only thing is, you might have to move to this area
Listen you sicko, you just want him to move near you so you can look in his garage. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :noface: :noface:

Ric
05-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Listen you sicko, you just want him to move near you so you can look in his garage. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :noface: :noface: or lanscape light my yard.... shutupump

cmack
05-11-2007, 02:58 PM
mrcrowson --Sorry to hear the news.
I do believe there is a good reason for it. I was let go from one of the worst jobs I ever had. Horrible mgt. I ended up in a much better job just two months later. That job was a contractor job but I do not think I would have left even a horrible FTJ for a contract gig. They extended my contract to 1.5 years and it only ended because I got a really great offer for a FTJ. My current job is ooh about 1000x better than the job I was laid off from.
My brother was also laid off. He was not in a horrible job but one with no growth. He was out of work for 4 months but now has a great job. I'm kinda jealous -- But very happy for him!
I wish you the best with the new venture! Would you have taken this step if you were still at the job?
I think you will do great. I have several houses in the block with that kind of lighting. I like it also.

mrcrowson
05-11-2007, 03:43 PM
mrcrowson --Sorry to hear the news.
I do believe there is a good reason for it. I was let go from one of the worst jobs I ever had. Horrible mgt. I ended up in a much better job just two months later. That job was a contractor job but I do not think I would have left even a horrible FTJ for a contract gig. They extended my contract to 1.5 years and it only ended because I got a really great offer for a FTJ. My current job is ooh about 1000x better than the job I was laid off from.
My brother was also laid off. He was not in a horrible job but one with no growth. He was out of work for 4 months but now has a great job. I'm kinda jealous -- But very happy for him!
I wish you the best with the new venture! Would you have taken this step if you were still at the job?
I think you will do great. I have several houses in the block with that kind of lighting. I like it also.

Thanks cmack,
Sooner or later I would have. After all of the time and $money$ I have put into starting this it would be silly not to.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I just noticed..You don't use your "exterior" mounted lights on the house. Or at least that is how it shows in the picture. Does it look funny with them on?

Leroy
05-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey Michael; What about night lighting in boats?

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey Michael; What about night lighting in boats?
Sure, all you have to do is run 120V extension cord to the 900 watt transformer and your good to go....8p :rolleyes:

slalomskifreak
05-11-2007, 05:06 PM
I would like to say "Sorry!" I went through the exact same thing here with ATA Airlines. Everything will work out, maybe not to your exact specifications, but enough to survive. Keep the faith and good luck with the new company.

Curt

05-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey, maybe you can look into garage lighting for Ric?:confused:

wgwollet
05-11-2007, 05:32 PM
One idea on the lighting is to turn them off at say 10pm.......why would someone want their house all lighted up into the night?

Also, can't most people just go to Home Depot and get the lights and do this? or not to be smart.......it doesn't seem that difficult and it saves money.

M-Funf
05-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Also, can't most people just go to Home Depot and get the lights and do this? or not to be smart.......it doesn't seem that difficult and it saves money.

Maybe not difficult for you, but I know plenty of people who can't check their own oil or fix a leaky faucet...

mrcrowson, Hope you don't read this wrong...I'm sorry you lost your job, but maybe getting let go was just the kick start you needed to get out there and do the lighting company...

I wish I could do something like that...:(

mrcrowson
05-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I just noticed..You don't use your "exterior" mounted lights on the house. Or at least that is how it shows in the picture. Does it look funny with them on?

I do use my coach lights it is just a little hard to tell. I have a flicker flame bulb in each of them.

SkySkiSpokane
05-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Sorry to hear about the work.
Best of luck on the new biz.

I thought I would put a plug for Bill (airjunky) on here. He and his wife do full color biz cards and I am sure would give ya a TMC price.
www.bcbeyond.com

Give them a shout!!

atlfootr
05-11-2007, 07:46 PM
One idea on the lighting is to turn them off at say 10pm.......why would someone want their house all lighted up into the night?Power Company :love: people like this :purplaugh

AirJunky
05-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks Dave.... heres a better way to remember it.

http://businesscardsandbeyond.com

1000 single sided, full color, photo quality cards for under $80.

Give us a call & tell us you got it from TMC & we'll cut it some more.

And Mrcrowson, congrats on the new business opportunity!

6ballsisall
05-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Congrats on making the decision to go out on your own Michael! I am sure you'll be a huge success. I was just in Carmel Wednesday afternoon - Thursday AM. There is plenty of money flowing in that area.
NTIDSL hasn't been on the board in some time but you might give him a shout. He's in Cincy and owns a lighting company that sells outdoor lighting stuff to installers and landscape companies. He has a pretty slick operation and he knows his stuff.
Starting a biz is tough work. If you need brochures/catalogs, etc... printed let me know. I'll set you up with webpress or digital press time at cost.

mrcrowson
05-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks Jrandol, I will look him up.

And everyone else, Thank you for giving me that extra confidence I need.

Hoosier Bob
05-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Call me Michael! Since I live in an area frequented by the Po Po I have neighbors that would be interested as well as myself. Ambience is good, security is better!8p Call tomorrow. Also I have many business customers that may also have an interest.

Take care!

HB

SDAhockey21
05-12-2007, 12:55 AM
I would be willing to design a starter web page for you at no cost. However, Donations acepted! :) Just trying to get my name out there.

PM me if you are interested and i can send you the links to some of the websites i have done!

-Sam Adams

JimN
05-12-2007, 10:12 AM
wgwollet- Sure, some people are willing and able but there are a lot who aren't willing OR able. Some just don't do things like that because they pay someone to do everything. Those are the ones our businesses go after- they may push a few buttons but actually doing the work? Not a chance. For some, unless they actually do it for enjoyment, their time is worth more than it would cost to have it done. Plus, what is sold at Home Depot and places like that isn't necessarily top-of-the-line. I have looked for LED lighting there and they don't have it, at least here.

mrcrowson
05-14-2007, 07:58 AM
LAST WEEK at http://www.majortool.com/images/weblogo.gif
I wonder how productive I will be

Farmer Ted
05-14-2007, 08:33 AM
LAST WEEK at http://www.majortool.com/images/weblogo.gif
I wonder how productive I will be

Don't forget to cash in your virtual hourly compensation....

05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Call me Michael! Since I live in an area frequented by the Po Po I have neighbors that would be interested as well as myself. Ambience is good, security is better!8p Call tomorrow. Also I have many business customers that may also have an interest.

Take care!

HB
Dammmit HB! I already told you Crowson sells LIGHTS, ya know, the kind that illuminate dark places! not the kind you seek, the kind in an aluminum can that make you "Hoosier Bob":rolleyes:

shepherd
05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
wgwollet- Sure, some people are willing and able but there are a lot who aren't willing OR able. Some just don't do things like that because they pay someone to do everything. Those are the ones our businesses go after- they may push a few buttons but actually doing the work? Not a chance. For some, unless they actually do it for enjoyment, their time is worth more than it would cost to have it done.

That's it right there. I've been promising my wife for a couple years to install a sprinkler system in the yard. I have the skills and the ability, but I've just been too busy with my day job and other things -- like working on my boat, riding my boat, skiing behind my boat... She'll probably give up on me and call a contractor for an estimate eventually. :cool: