PDA

View Full Version : Natural gas powered vehicle???

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 10:31 AM
I was reading a little about natural gas powered vehicles yesterday. Anyone have one, or know anyone with one? I guess not many manufacturers are producing them anymore, because it appears they are leaning towards the hydrogen power of the future.
It said something in the article, In California the air the engine su*ks in is more polluted than the air that comes out the exhaust.
On average the vehicles driving ranges were approx 200 miles? But some people noted it costs them about $1.00 a gallon?

Ric
05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
sizzler has a natural gas powered bote

Ric
05-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I was reading a little about natural gas powered vehicles yesterday. Anyone have one, or know anyone with one? I guess not many manufacturers are producing them anymore, because it appears they are leaning towards the hydrogen power of the future.
It said something in the article, In California the air the engine su*ks in is more polluted than the air that comes out the exhaust.
On average the vehicles driving ranges were approx 200 miles? But some people noted it costs them about $1.00 a gallon? 200 mile range @ 1.00 per gallon....... how many miles per "gallon" of natural gas would that be?

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
It said the mpgs were equivelent to the gas powered counterpart. So depending on the vehicle it varies.
It also mentioned fuel stations were availble for sale to install in a residential garage for a few thousand bucks. I doubt that was a realistic figure, but either way. I find it interesting.

jwchapman
05-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Lot's of them in Atlanta (Buses). They are great - virtually no emissions. You can tell them by the big hump on top (CNG Tank) and complete lack of smoke from the exhaust stack.

MARTA Receives National Natural Gas Vehicle Achievement Award
MARTA has received the National Natural Gas Vehicle (NGV) Achievement Award recognizing the Authority's outstanding contributions to the advancement of natural gas as a vehicular fuel. The award was presented by the Clean Vehicle Education Foundation (CVEF) and NGVAmerica at the National NGV Conference/Summit held in Ontario, California, earlier this month. Winners are selected by an independent committee of NGV industry suppliers and clean air/vehicle advocates.

MARTA is committed to improving air quality by using alternative-fuel buses that emit 90 percent fewer particles into the air, greatly reducing the negative impact to the environment. MARTA's entire bus fleet is comprised of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) and clean diesel buses, which meet all current emissions standards. Any new buses will meet or exceed 2010 federal emissions standards. Each day, MARTA's bus and rail system helps to reduce air pollutants by 3.5 tons (NOX) and 1.8 tons (VOC) by removing thousands of cars from Atlanta roads.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
jw- Interesting.
Although nothing noted about fuel "savings"....Emissions, I get it. Sounds like a great idea so far.....

André
05-11-2007, 05:32 PM
sizzler has a natural gas powered bote
Nope,it's propane gas or LPG.:)

Ric
05-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Nope,it's propane gas or LPG.:) what is a gallon of natural gas

André
05-11-2007, 05:57 PM
what is a gallon of natural gas
Been working with Natural gas for the last 18 years,never saw liquified NATURAL gas but it does exist.
In cars,all i ever saw of heard is a tank that hold natural gas compressed but still a gas.You can't carry much of it unless you have a giant tank.
Propane is always under its liquid state when commonly use in BBQ,lift trucks,cars and boats and such...

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-11-2007, 06:11 PM
OH this is just nonsense, why would anyone want to drive a vehicle that is anything other than diesel? particularly the 3/4 ton truck variety :confused: I sure dont understand it.....

Ric
05-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Been working with Natural gas for the last 18 years,never saw liquified NATURAL gas but it does exist.
In cars,all i ever saw of heard is a tank that hold natural gas compressed but still a gas.You can't carry much of it unless you have a giant tank.
Propane is always under its liquid state when commonly use in BBQ,lift trucks,cars and boats and such... well that is what I remember about it too. I am picturing that 1.00/ gallon til the demand hits :eek:

I am also still awaiting how many miles per "gallon" these vehicles burn.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-14-2007, 08:17 PM
well that is what I remember about it too. I am picturing that 1.00/ gallon til the demand hits :eek:

I am also still awaiting how many miles per "gallon" these vehicles burn.
As it said in the article, 28 mpg city, 39 hwy. A Honda something or other. It also said there are about 150,000 CNG vehicles in the US. And 1,500 CNG fueling stations across the country (not including the Home fueling stations I'd gather)

tommcat
05-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Propane is always under its liquid state when commonly use in BBQ,lift trucks,cars and boats and such...
correct. the vehicles (at least the ones i've worked on) are either CNG or LPG.

sizzler
05-15-2007, 09:49 AM
my boat is LPG.....its less than half the price of petrol over here......its practical for me as well,because we have an on-lake re-fueller.....petrol garage is a 15min trek away and would require the use of jerry cans.....

i re-couped the cost of the instillation in one summer.....

Ric
05-15-2007, 09:56 AM
As it said in the article, 28 mpg city, 39 hwy. A Honda something or other. It also said there are about 150,000 CNG vehicles in the US. And 1,500 CNG fueling stations across the country (not including the Home fueling stations I'd gather) I'll take one in my truck. I want 500 mi range, 15-18 mpg @ 1.00/gal and no evidence of the fuel tank.

chico
05-15-2007, 10:09 AM
I had natural gas in my service trucks since 1989.Ihad a refeuling compressor wich filled overnight.The compressor rental was 50 bucks a month.You can buy them now but are real expensive.here in canada it is 45 cents a kg.200 mile range with 2 tanks.tanks have to be certified every 5 years.20 percent power loss over gas.