PDA

View Full Version : Rear seat falling apart

rock skier
05-11-2007, 12:42 AM
The rear seat in my '94 prostar 190 is made out of styrofoam with a piece of wood along the front bottom edge to staple the vinyl to. Problem is the wood is rotting out and the foam is deteriorating. The only problem right now is this is leaving little white balls of styrofoam all over the boat but I'm sure at some point it's going to result in the catastrophic failure of the seat. What can I do to stop this from happening? Is there some type of glue or something I can put on it to stop it from coming apart? Then once that's taken care of what kind of wood was there? I need to replace that part too.

milkmania
05-11-2007, 08:54 AM
The rear seat in my '94 prostar 190 is made out of styrofoam with a piece of wood along the front bottom edge to staple the vinyl to. Problem is the wood is rotting out and the foam is deteriorating. The only problem right now is this is leaving little white balls of styrofoam all over the boat but I'm sure at some point it's going to result in the catastrophic failure of the seat. What can I do to stop this from happening? Is there some type of glue or something I can put on it to stop it from coming apart? Then once that's taken care of what kind of wood was there? I need to replace that part too.

I'm going to assume your seat is the same as my 91 PS190.....

I've got all my upholstery off at the moment, and my wood (stapling strips) was rotten also.

I will be replacing those strips with plastic (HDPE High Density PolyEthelene) I am going to rip the strips down from 2' x 2' x 1/4" material..... into approx. 2 inch strips. I'm then going to hot glue those strips in place.

I am not having problems with the little BB's shedding, and I'm not sure how to help you there:(

This was recommended by "Jim the Upholstery guy" ---> http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=176680&postcount=1

the beginning of my upholstery project can be seen here---> http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15681

the rear bench can be seen from the link in the first post.

S&S1984
05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Gorilla Glue, from Wally World or Home D and pressure treated Lattice/firring strips glued in place. Remove damaged wood with a scraper or razor blade. Lightly mist the new wood with a spray bottle of water, apply the glue sparingly, and use some wood clamps or bricks/books/rocks to hold it in place until dry, then trim any excess glue with a razor blade and restaple seat cover with stainless steel staples.

milkmania
05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Gorilla Glue, from Wally World or Home D and pressure treated Lattice/firring strips glued in place. Remove damaged wood with a scraper or razor blade. Lightly mist the new wood with a spray bottle of water, apply the glue sparingly, and use some wood clamps or bricks/books/rocks to hold it in place until dry, then trim any excess glue with a razor blade and restaple seat cover with stainless steel staples.

you are correct......

I would also have gone Gorilla Glue, and lattice strips, had I not found these HDPE pieces.
I am going to glue one HDPE strip with hot glue, let it cure, and check it in a few days. if it looks good, I will proceed.
if not, gorilla glue & lattice for me;)

rock skier
05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Awesome, I didn't know gorilla glue will bond to foam. Thanks guys I'll get on this and then hopefully get the boat reupholstered.

rock skier
05-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Upon further inspection I've found that the foam in the bottom of the seat had deteriorated in one place to the point that I need to add some new foam to it to rebuild it. I think I'm gonna try that stuff in the spray can called great stuff. hopefully it'll bond to the old foam.

east tx skier
05-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Whatever glue you use, test it on some scrap styrofoam first. A lot of adhesives will melt styrofoam. Haven't tried Gorilla glue yet though. When I was working on my jump seat, I wrapped the styrofoam insulation boards I was using for contour in the base in duck tape before gluing it. Worked well and helped it hold together as one piece better.

S&S1984
05-15-2007, 02:38 PM
You can use Gorilla glue on a styrofoam cooler. It worked great on the rear seat foam in my 1984 S&S. My seat was broken in the middle of the base. The key is to lightly wet the surface before applying the glue, the water acts like an activator. It will foam like crazy, but once dry it was rock solid. :)