PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

johny_Utah
05-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Any ideas where to start looking for an oil leak on a 89' prostar 190 351 indmar?

I seem to have some oil build up at the drain hole when the boat sits.

Thank you,

J

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Are you talking about the bottom of the oil pan where the drain hose is connected? If so, start by checking if that connection is tight. The leak could also be coming from a higher spot and just appearing as a drip at the low point of the pan. It could be the pan gasket, main seals (hope this is not the problem), valve covers....almost anywhere you have a gasket.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 09:33 AM
A better description of the problem, would probably get you more answers. Pictures help too.....

87MCProstar
05-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Utah,
I had a similar prob with my 87, turned out to be comin from the oil drain nut at the oil pan. The rubber/metal washer went bad, and was a slow leak. Replaced entire drain hose, and is good as new now. No one drop since.

JKTX21
05-22-2007, 12:36 PM
I had a similar leak on my 350. I would think it'd be leaking from the oil pan only if it leaks when it sits.

If it were me, I'd clean up the engine, fill it up with oil and let it sit some more and see if you can pinpoint the leak. If it isn't leaking while sitting, then run the engine for a while and see if you can spot the leak.