PDA

View Full Version : Hard Wakeboard Fall

SDAhockey21
05-10-2007, 06:53 PM
So just yesterday I went wakeboarding.

So i went to throw a w2w 180 landed it fine but just dropped the handle. So I decided to go again real quick to land one before we had to head in.

This time didn't go so great...

I totally beefed and pushed the toe of the board right in the water. OUCH!!! Today I am hurting all over especially my neck and have little headaches here and there.

Anyways i want to talk about helmets. I know some of you guys wear them. But do they really help with the whiplash and headaches, after an edge catching fall?

SDAhockey21
05-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Anyone??

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboarding_gear_helmets/pro_tec_ace_wake_helmet

This one looks nice!

betsy&david Harrison
05-10-2007, 07:42 PM
A friend of ours won't go without wearing his brain bucket. Not sure if it is for the whiplash issue though.

skeeler
05-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Worst one I have witnessed to date. (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/443378.html?1178277729) That explains in detail, but basically back planted on a Pete Rose. Kyle Alberts and I were walking out of OWC and decided to stop and watch Austin's run. We were literally 100' away. Very scary!!

Leroy
05-10-2007, 08:41 PM
My experience is the helmet does almost nothing if all you are hitting is water.

uawaterskier
05-10-2007, 09:15 PM
funny story. My cousins all have a helmet so we went out riding together. Well one of them didnt have theirs and decided hed just his older brother's helmet that was a wee bit to big. He ended up eating it face first and the helmet left a nice imprint on his forhead. Needless to say, none of them wear helments anymore

mitch
05-10-2007, 09:16 PM
So just yesterday I went wakeboarding.

So i went to throw a w2w 180 landed it fine but just dropped the handle. So I decided to go again real quick to land one before we had to head in.

This time didn't go so great...

I totally beefed and pushed the toe of the board right in the water. OUCH!!! Today I am hurting all over especially my neck and have little headaches here and there.

Anyways i want to talk about helmets. I know some of you guys wear them. But do they really help with the whiplash and headaches, after an edge catching fall?

Don't think a helmet would have helped in an open water fall. There are 2 camps on this though. If you're not hitting sliders etc. skip the helmet. My .02

jrhollow
05-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I popped my eardrum last summer (early July) working on a back roll and was told by the doc to stay out of the water until it healed. I waited a couple of weeks and figured putting wax in my ear to keep it dry and a helmet with earflaps would do the trick. I took several falls with the helmet and it helped a little with the head ache it did nothing for the whiplash. If anything it gave you a little more confidence to go a little bigger....which makes the falls hurt that much more.

RexDog1
05-10-2007, 09:36 PM
I started strapping on a helmet this year, because of my eardrums,

not for my head ………..:rolleyes:

I just would like to hear my kids one-day. …When they have something to say…. :cool: 8p

SDAhockey21
05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I think im going to start wearing on just for the ears. Plus im goign to need to buy one for the hydrofoil anyway....

beatle78
05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
SDA,

Ever hear the term, what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger :)

I have generally accepted the fact that I'm going to have whiplash every week during the summer. In fact, after a month or so, you won't even notice it anymore. Keep the Tylenol handy and wait for your body to toughen up.

I think a skull cap would be worth having for the ear drums.

tex
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I always wear one. It just makes me feel safer!

rodltg2
05-11-2007, 11:02 AM
i agree wih the others, will help from popping the ear drums. ive done it twice. should have learned my lesson. i wore protection for about 2 weeks after i did it, then go back to normal...:cool:

blackbeauty02
05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
i knocked myself out cold doing a 180 last summer. couldn't ride the rest of the day and had to keep myself from going to sleep for awhile

keith
05-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I did the same w2w 2 summers ago, pushing that last trick, planted the toe just like you, except i fought the board and tried to keep it on. Bad idea- ripped 4 tendons in my foot. Took 10 months to heal ok, and this summer it should be back to full potential. I wont fight the board anymore!

Also, after 2 eardrums, i had custom plugs made by my friend who runs the local hearing aid shop- they are the BEST thing i have done. The experience is totally different in silence, knowing you can slam the side of your head and not punch out an eardrum.

Tomorrow is the first day for us on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH! Water temp 50, drysuits are in!

88 PS190
05-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Be aware of the possibility that a helmet can bucket. And that can cause a few issues.

vogelm1
05-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I wear the helmet to protect ear drums. Glad you only had some aches and pains with that one...I did the same w2w 180 last July and ended up tearing my ACL. Rode for the first time in 9 months a couple nights ago. Leg feels a little weak yet but good to be back on the water. Keep the injury gremlins as far away as you can!!

SDAhockey21
05-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Ya when i was halfway through the jump in knew i was in for it. MY right foot came all of the way out and my left foot came half way out and got stuck. So after i realized what happened my first reaction was OH sH%^!!! that hurt!! And then i repeated that about 5 times. I figured it was then time to figure out what hurts.So since my left foot was only half way out it was really hurting bad. It was stuck in the awkward position where it wont go back in and wont come out. So that was really hurting me..

Major whiplash and still have a slight headache...Now 2 days later.

And of course everyone is like..."Water is soft..", and "You fell doing a 180 thats easy...." Easy for you to say since you don't even know how to wakeboard....( I whisper under my breath) so I'm thinking i must be mistaking and i actually fell doing a 1080, just since i fell and got banged up so much i just forgot the extra 0!! HA HA

vogelm1
05-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I think most of us can relate to that...the majority of us would be happy to land 180's most of the time. There's nothing "easy" about any trick you're learning to do the first few times. Well hope you feel better in the coming days - those half in/half out feet-in-the-bindings hurt!!

SDAhockey21
05-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Haha ya i can t wait to get some of my friends out this summer and have them "try" to wakeboard.

Then i will ask them how they feel when they catch an edge!! lol

keith
05-12-2007, 09:53 PM
flashbacks of your foot being stuck- and the pain.. except i did some good damage.

EARPLUGS!!!! I have these, and no more worries about blowing (another) eardrum!

http://www.starkey.com/hearing_protection/swimming.html

Vegas X-Star
05-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Helmets are for rails...they provide little padding for blunt trauma like smacking your face on the water...

Bubble
05-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Popping an eardrum? Is that really so common??

I ask because I'm just getting going on the slalom again for the first time since I was 18. Once I get my strength up, I'm buying a wakeboard.

I'm not gonna use a helmet and given that I'm 36, I probably won't do too much crazy stuff.

Is it that common to blow out an eardrum? That's like a phobia of mine. I can't stand anyone messing with my ears.

When I used to ski a lot, you go faster but normally I would skip on the water rather than what I imagine it's like to catch the edge of a board. Are the spills that much tougher on a board even though you're going slower??

I never had ear issues on a ski, did I just get lucky? (Probably skied 1000 times or so.)

keith
05-15-2007, 12:40 PM
get the earplugs, they are 75 bucks and you wont have to worry.

The first time i did it was from one of my first tantrum attempts, I landed on the board, skipped out and landed again on the side of my face, taking out my eardrum. The second time was catching an edge after trying a 360 and doing an eye opener, where I turned my head sideways.

My wakeboard buddy just had ear surgery to replace part of the membrane in his ear with a skin graft. He did his 2 times, first time tubing, and second time on a 360 fall like mine. His never healed, and he has been over 80 percent deaf in that ear since, until this winter when he had the surgery and can now hear very well again.

We now both use them every run, (except sometimes on the wakeskate). My friend HAS to wear them every time he is in the water, even for just a swim.

mpm32
05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I popped one of my eardrums in an OTF. Filled my head with lakewater. To get it out I would plug my nose and blow, the water would come out through the hole, out of my ear. Hurt like hell. Those earplugs look like a good idea.

beatle78
06-19-2007, 08:07 PM
I'll take a bell ringer anyday over a torn stomach muscle!!!

With a bell ringer, I can still wakeboard the next day....

I tore a stomach muscle a week ago and after the bulge in my stomach was done filling with blood, the Dr. told me 4 weeks before I can do anything fun GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I do tip my hat to diloted, which according to my wife, is the strongest pain medicine you can put in an IV. It puts Morphine to shame. I was happy for those couple of hours until the pain meds wore off.

I couldn't even drive the boat until yesterday.

Since we only have 13 weeks of summer, that equates to over 30% of my summer down the drain......:rant:

Maristar210
06-19-2007, 09:50 PM

I ask because I'm just getting going on the slalom again for the first time since I was 18. Once I get my strength up, I'm buying a wakeboard.

I'm not gonna use a helmet and given that I'm 36, I probably won't do too much crazy stuff.

Is it that common to blow out an eardrum? That's like a phobia of mine. I can't stand anyone messing with my ears.

When I used to ski a lot, you go faster but normally I would skip on the water rather than what I imagine it's like to catch the edge of a board. Are the spills that much tougher on a board even though you're going slower??

I never had ear issues on a ski, did I just get lucky? (Probably skied 1000 times or so.)

You will not have to worry about this generally until you begin to get inverted. Spinning mass hits stationary water, get it?

WTRSK1R
06-19-2007, 10:00 PM
I have blown my left ear drum twice (about 3 years apart) from wiping out right at the wake on a Slalom ski. My ENT told me NOT to wear ear plugs because he has had to surgically remove them from the inner ear on more then one occasion. Perhaps they were just the standard small plugs and pushed in, but I would think that if there was something available that was acceptable, he should know. What he did tell me to do (and I ignored the first time) is to wear a neoprene headband. The headband distributes the force of the water, but can NEVER go inside my ear. I wear it all the time after the second blow out last summer.

x2boarder
06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Aren't helmets for doing rails?

06197ttlq9-footer
06-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Helmets are great for protecting your ears when learning barefoot turns. They however do nothing for neck or body pain nor the prevention of the planting of the face. If you are trying new stuff or a little tired (last run of the day) loosen your bindings:) Try not to end each session on a faceplant, could lead to loss of sleep or even nightmares. Once you are sore Fresh Pinaple! Not caned, eat as much as you can.

ProTour X9
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Monday I was out wakeboarding and I did a couple of surface 180s I was feeling pretty good about myself. Then I turned back, and forgot to lean back, my edge caught, can anyone say faceplant! Didn't feel too good.

badams
06-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I had two concussions last year from catching an edge. I've decided to start wearing one this year for that reason. One of the worst wrecks I've had (which caused one of my concussions) was catching my back edge and smacking the back of my head on the water. I think it's just a matter of preference.

bigmac
06-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Here's a recent very tragic story on the Dallas Wakeboarding site. The poor kid was a skilled wakeboarder who caught an edge and planted on a simple wake-to-wake jump. He was conscious enough afterward to get his board off, got in the boat, then passed out. He's now in the neuro ICU at Parkland in a coma with a pretty grim prognosis.

I don't know if a helmet would have helped him against such a head-in-motion brain-slosher, but it might have diffused enough of the water impact energy to have made the injury less severe.

Colby's injury.....at Dallas Wakeboarding site... (http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=26&page=viewtopic&t=10074&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Generally, I'm skeptical that a helmet would help much against the head hitting the water. I think their real value is against specific blows to the head such as the board hitting it. But......

beatle78
06-22-2007, 08:29 AM
I heard that story bigmac. There's got to be more to that story. Of course, W2W for me means 5' in the air. W2W to this guy might mean 10'+.

NeilM
06-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Helmet sounds like a good idea... I've rattled what little grey matter I've got left more than once, and protecting the ears sounds like a great side benefit.

But what I'm most afraid of is breaking ribs... incredibly painful.. I've done it TWICE behind a boat -- once on slalom and once on a wakeboard. In both cases, I fell right into the wake on a cut. I think I need a bulletproof vest or something..:(

beatle78
06-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I've got a SWEET vest that I think has some beefy padding on the front and on the back\kidney area.

I'll look up the model when I get home.

bigmac
06-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Helmet sounds like a good idea... I've rattled what little grey matter I've got left more than once, and protecting the ears sounds like a great side benefit.

But what I'm most afraid of is breaking ribs... incredibly painful.. I've done it TWICE behind a boat -- once on slalom and once on a wakeboard. In both cases, I fell right into the wake on a cut. I think I need a bulletproof vest or something..:(

I'm not one of those doctors that preaches safety, safety, safety. I rarely wear a helmet for on-road motorcycling. I always wear a helmet for hydrofoiling..the reasons for that are 1) protection for eardrums 2) head protection against getting hit with some part of the hydrofoil.

So, I'm sitting on this thing going 25 mph on a 5 foot lever-arm. The rotational speed on a fall implies enough centripetal force on that 6-foot radius circle that on a fall, the head is going to hit that uncompressible water at significant speed. Having said that, every newton of force dissipated by a helmet and/or rib protection when the head/body hits the water is a good thing, and there's very little downside. Wearing a helmet in order to ride a device that's going 25 mph and launching 10 feet into the air with a 60-pound piece of fiberglass and sharp aluminum strapped to your a$$...well that puts me at far more liklihood of sustaining a head injury than motorcycling IMHO. Likewise, the ribs can take a significant shot, and my vest (Oneill Law) has some pretty beefy rib protection. I've never broken a rib, but my Sky Ski has provided me with some pretty hefty shots that left me sore even with the vest.

bigmac
06-22-2007, 11:56 AM

I never had ear issues on a ski, did I just get lucky? (Probably skied 1000 times or so.)Yes. Blown eardrums are fairly common on wakeboards and hydrofoils. Slower speeds and shorter longitudinal lengths on the boards, coupled with aerials mean that going over the front is more likely than slalom skiing. And when you go over the front, the tendency is to turn your head to keep from hitting the water face-first.

tex
06-22-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm not one of those doctors that preaches safety, safety, safety. I rarely wear a helmet for on-road motorcycling. I always wear a helmet for hydrofoiling..the reasons for that are 1) protection for eardrums 2) head protection against getting hit with some part of the hydrofoil.

So, I'm sitting on this thing going 25 mph on a 5 foot lever-arm. The rotational speed on a fall implies enough centripetal force on that 6-foot radius circle that on a fall, the head is going to hit that uncompressible water at significant speed. Having said that, every newton of force dissipated by a helmet and/or rib protection when the head/body hits the water is a good thing, and there's very little downside. Wearing a helmet in order to ride a device that's going 25 mph and launching 10 feet into the air with a 60-pound piece of fiberglass and sharp aluminum strapped to your a$$...well that puts me at far more liklihood of sustaining a head injury than motorcycling IMHO. Likewise, the ribs can take a significant shot, and my vest (Oneill Law) has some pretty beefy rib protection. I've never broken a rib, but my Sky Ski has provided me with some pretty hefty shots that left me sore even with the vest.
A helmet when riding a sky ski but not a motorcycle?:eek3:

bigmac
06-22-2007, 12:00 PM
A helmet when riding a sky ski but not a motorcycle?:eek3:

More likely to sustain a head or eardrum injury on a hydrofoil than on a Harley Davidson.

tex
06-22-2007, 12:02 PM
More likely to sustain a head or eardrum injury on a hydrofoil than on a Harley Davidson.
But it only takes one on a Harley! Good luck Bigmac!

bigmac
06-22-2007, 12:24 PM
But it only takes one on a Harley! Good luck Bigmac!

I don't promote it as a great idea for everyone, or for anyone for that matter. It's a personal decision - one I've made for myself based on many factors, but that decsion does include more than 35 years of motorcycling and almost 30 years as a trauma surgeon.

tex
06-22-2007, 12:44 PM
I understand that it's a personal decision and the experience...I just don't trust the experience of that 45 year old soccer mom putting on makeup as she texting another 45 year old soccer mom about scrapebooking! Not trying to dog you. My friends make fun of me for weariing my helmet when I foil. I tell them it helps keep the hair out of my eyes!:D

bigmac
06-22-2007, 01:27 PM
I understand that it's a personal decision and the experience...I just don't trust the experience of that 45 year old soccer mom putting on makeup as she texting another 45 year old soccer mom about scrapebooking! Not trying to dog you. My friends make fun of me for weariing my helmet when I foil. I tell them it helps keep the hair out of my eyes!:DOne of the factors I take into account in my helmet decision is the soccer-mom density in the area where I live. If I lived in a more urban area with more traffic intersections, the helmet equation would have to be refigured.

tex
06-22-2007, 01:29 PM
I figured the helmet would help keep you warm!

Doug G
06-23-2007, 01:20 AM

What he said about the helmet for watersports. I believe it helps with the eardrums. CAN help with the head IF it fits right, can't hurt IF it fits right. I have had a memory loss/2 day headache concussion without one and never had one with it. I don't always wear it but when I am trying something new or being agressive, it goes on.

As for the bike, get a lid! I have scraped many a motorcycle crash victim off the streets. They crash for all kinds of reasons, rarely their fault (except for the idiot riders) and without exception the helmet makes a huge difference. Don't take my word for it go visit an ER doc at the local trauma center and ask him/her. Follow your very good force distribution explanation above but put it at 45-60 mph and a harder surface. Even at slow speeds it helps prevent road rash to the head. You know how delicate the grey matter is. just my .02

Maristar210
06-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I faceplanted so hard this morning the board was ripped off my feet. Note to self: Sidesliding to Switch with your toes up = good. Sidesliding back to goofy with toes down at 22MPH (splat) = Bad !