PDA

View Full Version : 214/X14 In The Course.

jkski
05-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks to James, Chris and Kim at Boat House Marine, I was able to run the X14 through the slalom course last night, back to back with my PS197.

Due to the fact that we only had 2 people, all I managed to get were some running photo's of the X14 at 34mph and 36mph.

The boat was optioned out with a MCX, 1:1 tranny and a 3-blade prop. We skied the boat on a lake that is 1900 feet long with a turn island at one end, and it performed great. I certainly would never have expected it to be such a great boat and handle so well in the course. The boat stayed straight and held the turn very well without washing out.
As far as skiing, well, we were not disappointed at all. The wake is a bit harder (maybe because of the 3-blade prop vs. a 4-blade) and a bit wider, but we ran the course at 15 and 22-off with no problem.

Enjoy the photos.

As for skiing it

#47of100TeamMC
05-10-2007, 09:05 AM
The wake is a bit harder (maybe because of the 3-blade prop vs. a 4-blade) and a bit wider, but we ran the course at 15 and 22-off with no problem.

Wake... What wake? 8p

jkski
05-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Very true. For a boat this size I was surprised. Compared to what it replaced, the 209, this boat is night and day different (not that there was anything bad about the 209).
The handling of this boat was very similar to the 197 and the wake, well, you put it best...What wake!!!
Running the 2 boats back to back gave a great perspective and allowed us to see the subtle differences, however, if not for that, I can't say that I would have seen a difference.
One thing that really amazed me was the holeshot, and stopping ability the boat has. When you are on a somewhat short lake, these things mean a lot, and I know that a PS197 is made to take on that challenge, but I certainly would not have expected the X14/214 to handle it so easily.
Great boat!!!

BIGBADBLUE
05-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Great pictures. Has anyone noticed that the build quality of the new MC's is less than it used to be. Maybe it has been like this for a long time. I went through an X-14 in detail yesterday and came away excited about the boat, however, dissappointed about the quality of workmanship. Plastic plug, glass work on cut-outs, exposed screws, carpet in storage areas that was not cut right, cheap looking plastic cover on the electrical panel and thin gel coat in the bilge area.

This is probably my next boat as I love the design and layout ... but the workmanship scares me a little bit. It is not built like my '94.

Was I just being too picky or has MC workmanship dropped a bit? Thoughts?

jkski
05-10-2007, 09:27 AM
I just got back from a trip to the factory (roughly 3 weeks ago) and I had been there about 2 years prior to that. At the same time, I went through the Malibu plant.
With that said, I did not see MC doing anything different than they did 2 years ago, in fact I saw a few more things employed that have made the process a bit more efficient and at the same time improved quality. Keep in mind that when looking at the 214 vs. your 94, the build process is much different than it used to be, especially when it comes to the flooring and the interior in general. The 214 is built in the same fashion as the bigger V-drives that MC produces, in that the top deck, seat bases and floor (everything you see inside) is all one big peice that is mated to the actual hull. Now, I have way oversimplified the process, so my apologies to MC. The biggest thing that I can tell you is that the quality is there, and to see that best, I advise taking a trip to the Malibu factory first and then visit the MC factory.....night and day.

Diesel
05-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Great pictures. Has anyone noticed that the build quality of the new MC's is less than it used to be. Maybe it has been like this for a long time. I went through an X-14 in detail yesterday and came away excited about the boat, however, dissappointed about the quality of workmanship. Plastic plug, glass work on cut-outs, exposed screws, carpet in storage areas that was not cut right, cheap looking plastic cover on the electrical panel and thin gel coat in the bilge area.

This is probably my next boat as I love the design and layout ... but the workmanship scares me a little bit. It is not built like my '94.

Give it time. I don't think they have all the bugs worked out of production on the 214.

BIGBADBLUE
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys. It just scared me a bit to see the issues. It is tough to sell a boat that you have had for that many years and it has been such a great boat.

jkski
05-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys. It just scared me a bit to see the issues. It is tough to sell a boat that you have had for that many years and it has been such a great boat.

No doubt about it, but have no fear, you can't go wrong with the new MC's. If you have some time, try to take a factory tour and that will settle any thoughts on the quality of construction. I belive you can also take the tour via the MC website.
Good luck.

Leroy
05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Where is the reported issues BigBadBLue? I don't see that list?

Archimedes
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM

I'd give you my thoughts on that, but I think I'd get banned for life.

In a nutshell the initial fit and finish quality difference between my 94 PS190 and my 06 X-1 is night and day. You'd think they were built by different companies.

boatless
05-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Great pictures. Has anyone noticed that the build quality of the new MC's is less than it used to be. Maybe it has been like this for a long time. I went through an X-14 in detail yesterday and came away excited about the boat, however, dissappointed about the quality of workmanship. Plastic plug, shoddy glass work on cut-outs, exposed screws, carpet in storage areas that was not cut right, cheap looking plastic cover on the electrical panel and thin gel coat in the bilge area.

No, it is not your imagination. It is the facts of life. Manufacturing are looking for ways to reduce cost all the time. Metal and wood are being replace by plastics, Welded instead of using nuts and bolts, parts are being out sources instead of building in house, and people are being replaced by machine. So all the quality hand manual work that you use to see in the past are not there anymore. But looking at this way, vinyl seem to have thicker material and last longer. Changes are some time for the better, but most of the time is for costing less to manufacturing.

boatless.

kimba
05-10-2007, 01:05 PM
The MasterCraft workmanship exceeds others that I have seen. Having been through the plant, and seeing the way these are made-hand laid fiberglass, in-house production....and many other features make them the best I have seen.

Their longevity and look last.:)

rodltg2
05-10-2007, 01:33 PM
so... about that 214 in the course??? when are thse boats going to be available?

BIGBADBLUE
05-10-2007, 01:38 PM
You can one now ... my dealer only has X-14's but said he could order a 214.

jkski
05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
so... about that 214 in the course??? when are thse boats going to be available?

Well, after a brief departure from the topic........... we return.
The boat is now available, however, I am certain that only so many are being built this year. I know that my dealer has a 214 and an X14 (same boat, just one has the tower and ballast). Come to Ohio and I'll see if they will let me borrow it again!!!

ProTour X9
05-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Heck my boat doesn't seem to have the quality of the ole '94, the speedos are off already, if they even work; I'm just a little disappointed.:confused: :(

Goinbroke
09-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Does anyone have a surfing report behind the X14?

Leroy
09-06-2007, 12:42 AM
We need to differentiate between design and manufacturing. If cheap plastic is specified by marketing and designed in by engineering the factory will build it right I'm sure, but it may not be what you expected.

MC keeps adding a lot of features and innovations or else everyone's 94 would still be fine.

This is a common discussion on other boards also. I think it is beyond the Chevy/Honda discussion for cars.

Leroy
09-06-2007, 12:59 AM
I would be delighted with that wake in that size boat, WOW!!!!

limegreen
09-06-2007, 12:46 PM
This really is a great boat. I am dreaming about it - a red one is my wallpaper. Maybe in a couple of years one of you wealthy types will hand down a nice clean pre loved one at a slight discount.

2RLAKE
09-06-2007, 01:44 PM
surfing .. yes we tried on my X14 .... wake is just not big enough to surf rope free which is what you want with this type of boat. For me that's fine because we're not into it, but I have friends on my cove with a X2, X30 and X45 in case we want to go

Chas
09-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Was one built on a Friday?

Ric
09-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Great pics! Thanks!

mccobmd
09-07-2007, 06:28 PM
What was the wakeboard wake like, My wife still doesn't like the slalom wake of my X1 and I was too impatient to wait for the X 14

2RLAKE
09-07-2007, 09:54 PM
descent ... my nephew can still do all his flips and my wife and I can still have fun ... and i can always get more air than Prostar19

js1322
06-18-2008, 09:55 PM
All,

I have a 2002 X9, and have seen the new X14 and am interested. Does anyone know what the significant difference is between the X9 and the X14? The boat seems to be the same size, the interior a bit different, any major differences?

6ballsisall
06-18-2008, 09:59 PM
All,

I have a 2002 X9, and have seen the new X14 and am interested. Does anyone know what the significant difference is between the X9 and the X14? The boat seems to be the same size, the interior a bit different, any major differences?

All new hull. X14 has a better slalom wake than the X9

93Prostar190
06-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Well I took delivery from the same dealer on a PS214 back in May... I chose the PS214 over the X14 because we are mostly a slalom family. We passed on the ballast but did get the mini-tower. Our 2008 PS214 is a wonderful machine .... the slalom wake and performance are really good for a boat of this size.

I was used to a 4 blade prop and Powerslot on 285 HP Prostar and this bigger boat is an even better tow boat.

Storage and ergonomics are pretty darn good as well. Chris and the rest of the folks at Tri-Lakes have been great to work with and I love the boat.

I opted for the MCX engine and it really fits the boat well, good sound with the Silentmaster and CATS.

Mine had a few small build quality issues but overall I was impressed. My previous boat was a 93 PS 190 and the quality of that boat was awesome as well. It is too early to tell, but I will report on the quality as I own this boat.

I guess only time will tell but the 214 is really solid over waves/wake and the hull seems rock solid.

The wake is world class, you can really see the 190EVO/197 heritage ... if you get under the boat you will notice how flat the rear of the hull is and also the slightly downturned transom for a really nice wake.

Spring has been windy and I have also enjoyed less spray with the 214 .... the 214 and X14 platform is really impressive.

I always wanted a 209 and really enjoyed that boat design's (just never bought one) ... the 214 seems like it is designed for us. A family of four with young kids looking to enjoy the water, and parents that still like to carve up some turns in the course.

Others have told me that the 214 platform has a softer wake than the 209 platform, and I must agree. I included a picture of our boat, see you on the water.

rodecker1978
06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I LOVE the X14...almost went that route instead of the X2 but decided that the wake/surf wake was more important to me. But good lord! What a wake on that X14...or lack thereof! Would love to have one of each!

jpattigr
06-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Wow, That is a very clean looking boat! I like it!

JohnE
06-19-2008, 08:43 AM
I picked up my X14 this year. The slalom wake is very 197ish. At 36 mph and 15 or 22 off, it might actually be better than the 197. My ski partner made this claim last week, and I thought "your memory ain't too good". But I bounced that thought off a very experienced skier from the forum here, and he agreed.

My only regret about buying my '08 X14 is that I didn't do it a year earlier.:D

I have never ski'd behind a 209, so I can't make any comparisons.

itsamcthing
06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Well I took delivery from the same dealer on a PS214 back in May... I chose the PS214 over the X14 because we are mostly a slalom family. We passed on the ballast but did get the mini-tower. Our 2008 PS214 is a wonderful machine .... the slalom wake and performance are really good for a boat of this size.

I was used to a 4 blade prop and Powerslot on 285 HP Prostar and this bigger boat is an even better tow boat.

Storage and ergonomics are pretty darn good as well. Chris and the rest of the folks at Tri-Lakes have been great to work with and I love the boat.

I opted for the MCX engine and it really fits the boat well, good sound with the Silentmaster and CATS.

Mine had a few small build quality issues but overall I was impressed. My previous boat was a 93 PS 190 and the quality of that boat was awesome as well. It is too early to tell, but I will report on the quality as I own this boat.

I guess only time will tell but the 214 is really solid over waves/wake and the hull seems rock solid.

The wake is world class, you can really see the 190EVO/197 heritage ... if you get under the boat you will notice how flat the rear of the hull is and also the slightly downturned transom for a really nice wake.

Spring has been windy and I have also enjoyed less spray with the 214 .... the 214 and X14 platform is really impressive.

I always wanted a 209 and really enjoyed that boat design's (just never bought one) ... the 214 seems like it is designed for us. A family of four with young kids looking to enjoy the water, and parents that still like to carve up some turns in the course.

Others have told me that the 214 platform has a softer wake than the 209 platform, and I must agree. I included a picture of our boat, see you on the water.

thats a damn fine mc ya got there.....congrats:cool:

bradjo32
07-30-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm debating an x-14 over a 214. I'm 16, and am an aspiring skiier, but I'm no pro. I'm pretty good, and I like the tower for looks and to hang speakers on... lol. Does the X-14 perform any worse, if so, by much, in terms of a flat, ski wake? Anything is a step up from my 1990 American Skier!!!

bstrom-tt
07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
The X-14 will have the full tower, at short line skiing rope length's, the rope will hit the tower legs. The min-tower looks great and the Bimini incorporates nicely, but if your going to hang lights or speakers, your going to have to bend low as to not bang your head.

Good luck with your purchase.

east tx skier
07-31-2008, 09:46 AM
I thought American Skiers of that era were pretty slick little boats. At 16, I think I'd have been pretty happy to have any kind of ski boat.

sizzler
08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
there is an AMERICAN SKIER on our lake as well....very tidy boat...nice wake as well...

my buddy's x14 is lovely tho'.......a very nice boat....

JohnE
08-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm debating an x-14 over a 214. I'm 16, and am an aspiring skiier, but I'm no pro. I'm pretty good, and I like the tower for looks and to hang speakers on... lol. Does the X-14 perform any worse, if so, by much, in terms of a flat, ski wake? Anything is a step up from my 1990 American Skier!!!

The only difference between the wake on an X14 and a 214 will be from the added weight of the tower. Approximately the weight of an observer.

But as bstrom pointed out, the rope will hit the tower at shorter lengths. That doesn't prohibit you from skiing those lengths, though. And if you get there, take the tower off if it bugs you.

I looked at the mini tower and while it will not affect the rope at shorter line lengths, it is ridiculous IMO. To walk from the front of the boat to the back you have to duck or do the limbo to get under the tower. The good point to the new mini is that when you stand up from the driver or observer seat, you can't hit your head. But to go to the back of the boat you need to duck. I liked the positioning of the older mini tower better.

The big plus of the 214 though is that you can get it without the vdig and then you can get the stargazer upgrade for PP. The X14 comes with vdig and there is no SG or digital pro upgrade for it. If I did it over, I'd have gone 214 over X14 for this one reason alone. But then again, buying the new boat hasn't left much in the budget for a SG upgrade, anyway.

Scott
08-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Loved the boat. Was curious about the slalom wake(now answered). the one thing that really bothered me when looking at the boat(i realize i may be nitpicking) was where is the ice chest?? i know we all carry them, but sometimes its very convenient to use the ones in the boat. It just seemed like a lack of thinking it out which is normally something mc folks dont do...:confused:

shepherd
08-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I like the tower for looks and to hang speakers on...

:noface:
I agree the tower is functional, but don't buy it for the looks! :cool:

:D

ProTour X9
08-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Yeah they should redo the mini tower............

JohnE
08-02-2008, 07:29 AM
:noface:
I agree the tower is functional, but don't buy it for the looks! :cool:

:D

I'm with you, Shep.:cool:

ProTour X9
08-02-2008, 10:39 AM
JohnE have you posted pics of your boat yet??

93Prostar190
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
My PS214 has the mini-tower and I like it better ..... it really looks nice with the boat.

I agree with what everyone has said so far ..... the 214 will have a little more space on the inside than the X14 version since some of that space is used by ballast.

The 214/x14 platform is really good for slalom skiing for a boat of this size.

It is also a very social boat and seats 10 without much issue at all. Either way you cannot go wrong.

If you do get the mini tower, do not assume that you can mount speaker on it ....they will be very low!!!!

Doug G
08-04-2008, 12:48 PM
If the vertically challenged John is ducking and hitting his head a normal sized adult would really be hating life ;)