PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem and need my peeps to help me

kycat2007
05-09-2007, 09:26 PM
I did my winter duties to the boat and noticed the petcocks did not seem to be opening and closing correctly. Well I have been getting the boat ready for the season and I decided to replace them. I put the boat in the water Sunday to take a test spin and they were leaking pretty bad. It seems I tightened them too much. Well now I have screwed up the plastic fitting going into the engine. The new fitting was toast so I try to loosen the plastic fitting and I twisted it off. Well now I have to get that plastic out of there. Anyway to saw that thread or put something that will dissolve the plastic. Any ideas. The teflon tape will not let the threads turn at all. I do not want to mess anything else up so I need your expertise.

Where do you get these plastic fittings?

JimN
05-09-2007, 10:08 PM
If you read my posts and change nothing else, replace the petcocks with plugs. Petcocks are fine on a motor with a radiator and no debris getting in with the raw cooling water but once sand, grit, muck and whatever else comes in, you'll always have problems with them. Regular pipe thread, nothing special. Use Teflon tape and you should never have a problem draining the block.

kycat2007
05-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Jim I screwed up the plastic fitting. How do I get it out now. When I tried to remove that plastic fitting it twisted off. I have to figure out how to remove the threading.

Harvey
05-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Tap it with the matching thread size. You may not have a tap and die kit but you can probably rent one at a local parts store. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE MATCHING TAP!!

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/xq/asp/prodid.93864/TID./qx/product.htm

Diesel
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Heat it up with a blow torch and it will melt out.

kycat2007
05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I will not have to worry about anything getting inside the engine will I?

Diesel
05-10-2007, 04:21 PM
I will not have to worry about anything getting inside the engine will I?

Just get i hot enough to be pliable. Then grab it with a needle nose and it will come out in one piece.