PDA

View Full Version : New'to me' boat with many issues please help.

kah68
05-09-2007, 07:43 PM
I will try to keep this brief. 89' Tristar 190 351 indmar. It will start but doesn't like to keep idle. It will continue to run on fast idle but will soon die at idle. Once warmed up it will refuse to start. Brand new 1000 amp battery and all contacts clean. Temp goes from 140-190 then back down, I just installed a 160 degree automotive T-stat. Trans (1.5:1 Velvet) had water in it and I am flushing it as we speak, would this lead to a slipping feeling? I have a new Distributor on order, replaced the impeller, put a new started solenoid on, rebuilt the starter. I have not replaced the fuel filter but will do that tomorrow when the parts store opens. Any tips would be appreciated.

Kirk

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Is the choke opening up after you run it? I'd look at that as well as crud build up in the carb.....maybe a rebuild and adjust are in order.
Your temp is another issue. It should not jump up to 190. Mine holds around 140 or so. Any chance the thermostat is upside down?

Skibumtx
05-09-2007, 08:16 PM
What is the history on the boat, has it been sitting up long. I had to replace the carb on mine because it sat up too long. Have you changed the plugs, are the wires good, how does the ignition look?

kah68
05-09-2007, 08:37 PM
The stat is pointy side up, how do i check if the choke is stuck open? History of the boat, it was a summer camp boat and was negected and abused. The saving grace was the motor and trans rebuild 100 hrs ago. Great oil pressure and when its running motor is strong. I think its just a bunch of little things than need to be addressed. I will be changing the entire ignition soon.

kah68
05-09-2007, 08:37 PM
The stat is pointy side up, how do i check if the choke is stuck open? History of the boat, it was a summer camp boat and was negected and abused. The saving grace was the motor and trans rebuild 100 hrs ago. Great oil pressure and when its running motor is strong. I think its just a bunch of little things than need to be addressed. I will be changing the entire ignition soon.

mrG
05-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I will try to keep this brief. 89' Tristar 190 351 indmar. It will start but doesn't like to keep idle. It will continue to run on fast idle but will soon die at idle. Once warmed up it will refuse to start. Brand new 1000 amp battery and all contacts clean. Temp goes from 140-190 then back down, I just installed a 160 degree automotive T-stat. Trans (1.5:1 Velvet) had water in it and I am flushing it as we speak, would this lead to a slipping feeling? I have a new Distributor on order, replaced the impeller, put a new started solenoid on, rebuilt the starter. I have not replaced the fuel filter but will do that tomorrow when the parts store opens. Any tips would be appreciated.

Kirk

Before you tear into rebuilding the carb, try some carb cleaner, and run a can of Berryman B-12 Chemtool in a tank of fuel through it to see if it fixxes the problem.
If it does not, check the choke adjustment (as previously posted) and check that the idle is set correctly. Chances are it's a simple fix.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Take off the flame arrestor and watch the choke as you start the engine. If the engine is cold, the choke should be closed initially and then slowly open as the engine warms. Maybe a minute or so before it is fully open. Be a little careful about putting your face right over the carb....if it should backfire while your looking down the carb throat you'll be in for a nasty surprise. As I mentioned earlier, I'd be looking at fuel/carb issues before I replaced the ignition system, unless you know for sure something is wrong there.

kah68
05-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Choke is opening up and operating properly, any more ideas ?

Kirk