PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Ding..What to do?

brettpro
05-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Had the boat out the other day and my buddy dinged the gelcoat with a ski just below the rubrail. The pictures didn't come out too well but it is about 1 inch long and about 1/2 inch high - It didn't do any damage to the fiberglass underneath.

Looking at the other threads, it sounds like the best bet is to take it to a fiberglass repair shop. How critical is this to get done? ie. Can I take it out a few more times before trying to get it repaired? Consequences to that? Bueller, Bueller? Tips on repairing it myself?

vogelm1
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
You'll be fine continuing to use the boat. The fiberglass cloth has resin in it, so it'd be pretty hard for water to saturate anything, especially considering the damage was done by a ski. Your local MasterCraft dealer would be a good first step when you decide to get it repaired. But you can also do a search on here regarding the subject - Spectrum has gelcoat that matches MasterCrafts colors, and the threads here describing the repair process are fairly good if you decide this is something you want to try yourself.

dsoby
05-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Depending on how faded your gelcoat is, you could fix that yourself. You can get a repair kit from Spectrum http://www.spectrumcolor.com/ for your year boat. I've done it on my boat in several spots. The repair work is simple. The biatch is matching the color if your boat is faded and that is where a good gelcoat guy is worth your money. PM me if you decide to DIY and need some help.

Hunterb
05-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Patching the gel-coat is easy, matching the colour is a nightmare. You MAY have good luck with Spectrum. I didn't. The white they sent me was totally different than the boat. A good gel-coat colour matcher is very difficult to find and they will usually charge about an hour labour to mix something up.

Good luck with it. I wouldn't worry about using the boat in the meantime.

Bruce

wakeunion
05-11-2007, 07:31 PM
HOw thick does the gelcoat go before reaching the fiberglass?

vogelm1
05-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Not as much as one would think. I drilled some plugs out of my hull last season putting in a ballast system...and I'd say the layer of gel coat is about the thickness of cereal box cardboard +or- .

wakeunion
05-13-2007, 07:31 PM
OUch... that's not thick at all. I have some marks on the hull :( which are going to need some work and I thought it was just going to affect the gelcoat.

brettpro
05-13-2007, 09:41 PM
just ordered a patch kit from Spectrum - IŽll try to take some pics of the process later in the week and my fingers are crossed about the color match. We'll see how it goes b/c there are a lot of little "knicks" in various parts of the hull near the rub rail although not making it all the way through the gelcoat. If the color matches well, I'm hoping I can get those looking better as well.

BrianM
05-14-2007, 10:04 AM
just ordered a patch kit from Spectrum - IŽll try to take some pics of the process later in the week and my fingers are crossed about the color match. We'll see how it goes b/c there are a lot of little "knicks" in various parts of the hull near the rub rail although not making it all the way through the gelcoat. If the color matches well, I'm hoping I can get those looking better as well.

Small knicks can probably just be wet sanded out. The deeper ones will need gel.

dsoby
05-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Brett, I agree with Brian. Small scratches can be wet sanded with 1000 grit paper and then buffed. You can get the sand paper at any auto parts store. This is MUCH easier than patching gelcoat.

brettpro
05-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Here are a few more pics of other scratches on the hull - they are very light and did not break through the gelcoat however the whiteness of them obviously shows some damage. Are you guys saying that all I need to do to take care of these is to wet sand them with 1000 grit paper? I was thinking of just trying to use some of the left over from the patch kit that I bought from Spectrum color. My finger is in there just to give you some perspective of the size....
Brett

WTRSK1R
05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Yes, you can probably just sand them out. Try starting with the 1000 grit and see how it goes. I had some in my last boat, and actually sanded them out with 400 grit (wet sanding), then used 800 , followed by 1000 grit. Finally, I used Macguiers oxidation remover to blend it back into the surrounding area. After waxing, you could not tell where I worked on the boat. Initially, I started with the 1000 grit, and I guess I just did not have the patients to remove them completely with that gritt. I must say that you need to be really careful near any corners. I had one scratch that was near the top edge of the bow, and I did accidently sand through the gel. But other then that, go slow, and you will probalby remove them without issue.

BrianM
05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes, you can probably just sand them out. Try starting with the 1000 grit and see how it goes. I had some in my last boat, and actually sanded them out with 400 grit (wet sanding), then used 800 , followed by 1000 grit. Finally, I used Macguiers oxidation remover to blend it back into the surrounding area. After waxing, you could not tell where I worked on the boat. Initially, I started with the 1000 grit, and I guess I just did not have the patients to remove them completely with that gritt. I must say that you need to be really careful near any corners. I had one scratch that was near the top edge of the bow, and I did accidently sand through the gel. But other then that, go slow, and you will probalby remove them without issue.
What he said. I have used 600 first then 1000 grit followed by some 3M Heavy duty rubbing compound and some cleaner wax. Those last scratches should sand out fine. Keep the paper wet rinse and check progress often. Sand just until the mark disappears then move on to the next finer paper or compound to remove the fine scratches. If while sanding you get any speck of black STOP as you have gone through the layer of gel color.

Good luck. It is a pretty easy job. Just takes a little patience.