PDA

View Full Version : Advice on better slalom turns?

airdrew99
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I need some help on my 1-3-5 turns. I ski on an F1. The ski turns great on the 2-4-6 buoys, but I can't get the ski to turn on the 1-3-5 buoys. I've also noticed that I get quite a bit of slack in the rope (1-3-5). I ski right foot foward. Also, which turn is considered offside/onside?

rodltg2
05-09-2007, 03:50 PM
thats because your 1,3,5 is your offside..what i have found to help is to get wide , get the ski out in front of me ,not rush the turn, and not to start my pull until the ski has rotated and i have my other hand on the handle.

corey
05-09-2007, 04:11 PM
What rod said and practice, practice, practice.

Also see if you can get someone to video your skiing. Sounds like you might be getting to far back on your ski. Thats avery rough guess, but it's easy to see on video.

hacker
05-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Good advice from Rod and Corey. Also make sure you're not skiing with stiff legs... "Bend your knees" was one of the first things I heard when I started skiing the course. Just make sure you don't bend your knees in such a way that you end up tail riding. Do you have any pics?

airdrew99
05-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't have any pics yet, but I'll try to get some. With both knees bent, do I need to have my hips right above my feet, or foward, or back?

shepherd
05-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I need some help on my 1-3-5 turns. I ski on an F1. The ski turns great on the 2-4-6 buoys, but I can't get the ski to turn on the 1-3-5 buoys. I've also noticed that I get quite a bit of slack in the rope (1-3-5). I ski right foot foward. Also, which turn is considered offside/onside?

Form/body position are key, like these guys say. But if you are consistently having the same problem, you may want to try tweaking your ski. If your ski won't turn on the offside turn (your 1-3-5), try moving your front binding fwd one notch. See if that helps.

André
05-09-2007, 06:56 PM
What speed and lenght?

airdrew99
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Currently I'm skiing at 30-32 @ 15' off. I don't get to ski a course very often, but both on the course and off I still have trouble on my offside turns.

Brent
05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
If the move of the binding does not work try dropping the front of the fin a little!

Mag_Red
05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
OK...at the risk of being called an idiot.......which side is your "offside" turn? I'm right handed goofy footed:confused:

shepherd
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
OK...at the risk of being called an idiot.......which side is your "offside" turn? I'm right handed goofy footed:confused:

If you are right foot forward (like me), your offside turns are around balls 1, 3 and 5 - i.e., when you're to the right of the wake - i.e., when you let go with your right hand and are holding the handle with your left hand in the turn. Naturally, the turns on the other side of the wake are your on-side turns. If you're left foot forward, it's the other way around. You should notice that it is easier to turn and "lay down lower" when you turn on your ON-side turn.

I've also read where they are called the "toe-side" and "heel-side" turns but have no friggin' idea what that means or which is which...

H20skeefreek
05-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm left foot forward, but both sides are "off" for me.

Jesus_Freak
05-10-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm left foot forward, but both sides are "off" for me.

I thought I was the only one who had two off sides.

88 PS190
05-10-2007, 08:10 AM
often when you are getting slack in a turn its because you are pulling too long into the ball. Which tends to happen when you don't make it through the wake before losing edge so you lean all the way to the ball, and force the turn, slack.

If you picture the turn on your offside and the one on your onside, most people keep trying to get the offside turn earlier, they feel like its not happening where if they just ride into the turn a bit more than that you end up getting a turn... Just not as early as you would perhaps like.

#47of100TeamMC
05-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Slack mainly comes from lack of rhythm like 88 ps190 said. If you ski the course more you will get a feel for the rhythm.

Do you guys really think he should be tweaking the fin at this stage of the game? (30mph 15off) I'd agree in moving the binding one hole to see if that makes a difference. If he's falling back on the ski and the tip is coming up in a wheelie fashion. I can see moving the front foot forward 1 hole. But I don't think adjusting the fin is going to do anything at this stage of the game. It's more Body position at this point. ICBW.

Airdrew 99 to answer your Hip question...your feet should bear equal weight and your hips should never fall back. either centered or forward depending on where you are in the course.

atlfootr
05-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Since I use NO STICKS, can't give ya any advice here :noface:
Take it from the other guy's on board :D

I can say, lose the stick and use your feet!
You'll never have that problem again :purplaugh

beef
05-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I have this problem off and on, too. Agree with the above, pulling too long/lack of rythm is a common cause. Having too much speed or lack of outbound direction into the ball is the ultimate problem (going faster than the boat in the same direction = slack line).

Most of my issues with this were solved with some pretty simple advice: 1. Get out wide for your gate and take it as late as possible. This will get you good cross-course direction into 1 ball. 2. After the wake & into the edge change, get your knees bent and squeeze your shoulder blades together. This will shift your weight forward properly while staying in proper alignment, initiating a good carve.

Hope this helps.

Jorski
05-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Make sure that your ski is set up properly.

If it is not, all of the correct technique in the world won't help. If this is something that you are not very familiar with, go to a ski school, have them watch you ski, and have them optimize the set up.

I would call first and tell them that this is what you want to do.

hacker
05-10-2007, 01:25 PM
If this is something that you are not very familiar with, go to a ski school, have them watch you ski, and have them optimize the set up.

I would call first and tell them that this is what you want to do.

YES! This is excellent advice... not only just for ski set up, but for your overall improvement. Given your location you might be pretty close to Cory Pickos's ski school (Destin FL?) or Bennitts over in Zackary Louisiana.

C36
05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
If you are right foot forward (like me), your offside turns are around balls 1, 3 and 5 - i.e., when you're to the right of the wake - i.e., when you let go with your right hand and are holding the handle with your left hand in the turn. Naturally, the turns on the other side of the wake are your on-side turns. If you're left foot forward, it's the other way around. You should notice that it is easier to turn and "lay down lower" when you turn on your ON-side turn.

I've also read where they are called the "toe-side" and "heel-side" turns but have no friggin' idea what that means or which is which...

I always find it a little easier to understand with pictures. ;)

So if I understand this (offside) it is what is shown in the picture below (an offside turn - right foot forward on the right side of the wake (balls 1,3, and 5)), correct?

C36
05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
If this is correct, translated to wakeboarding, this position would result in the rider being on their "toe-side" turn (pictured beloe), correct?

Jesus_Freak
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
ISo if I understand this (offside) it is what is shown in the picture below (an offside turn - right foot forward on the right side of the wake (balls 1,3, and 5)), correct?

Yes, but does Wade really have an off-side? :D