PDA

View Full Version : Honeycomb panels

bec1971
05-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Good afternoon,

Has anyone replaced, what looks to be aluminum honeycomb flooring or sun pad. I have a 1994 maristar that I am re doing the interior and would like to replace the aluminum while I am at it. I can not locate where to purchase. I tried to search other threads but could not locate any discussions about it.

Thanks

jeverett
05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Some people have used marine plywood with resin and galss, and others have simply rotated the panel on the floor 180° for better mounting of the engine box, which wears out over time. I have found that material in catalogs at work but it is very expensive when you are only buying a few feet. Not really worth it when maring plywood is relatively cheap and easy to get.

bec1971
05-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks jeverett,

I was thinking the same thing when I was looking in McMaster Carr. I could find aluminum panels that were expensive but did not look big enough. When using the marine plywood on a sun cover, do you know if that would be too heavy?
Thanks for the reply.

Rich_G
05-09-2007, 08:12 PM
The single-piece sun pad on my 99 is made out of some black fiberboard that MC doesn't use anymore..., for good reason. It's light but not very structural. Mine was cracked when I bought it and I made a marine plywood panel to reinforce it. I covered it with black netting and it looks fine.

I had some other upholstery work done by a place that does work for a couple of the inboard dealers. They said if they were going to build a replacement hatch, they would use standard plywood encased in fiberglass resin. They cover the inside with black netting and it looks factory. They may use the standard vs. marine plywood for the lighter weight, and less warping.

Farmer Ted
05-09-2007, 08:21 PM
3/8" 5 ply douglas fir marine grade plywood

we use it for aircraft flooring, very durable