PDA

View Full Version : 75 velvet drive won't disengage in neutral

PsychoatLarge
05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I have a 1975 Stars and Stripes with the Velvet Drive Tranny that I just purchased last fall. It appears that the shaft is not disengaging when the stick is put in neutral, or anywhere else in between forward and reverse. Forward and reverse shift fine, but no neutral. Also I get a squeeky bearing noise sometimes from it. Any ideas what might be wrong and how involved it is to diagnose and fix. Thanks

Hunterb
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi,

I'm not exactly clear on your problem. Is the boat out of the water when you are observing the spinning shaft? If so, that's not that unusual in these boats. Does it go forwards and backwards in the water and what happens when you put the stick in neutral in the water? Do you keep moving? Have you checked the position of the shift lever on the transmission?

I think a little more information would make it easier to help you out.

Bruce

PsychoatLarge
05-09-2007, 06:08 PM
It is on the trailer right now so I suspected this to be the case, but last fall when we had it in the water we could not seem to find neutral either. As soon as we would start the boat it would begin to move forward. The only times we could get it to stay still while idling we had to toggle back and forth between forward and reverse. This is not normal is it? We did not think to observe the shaft back then, but we will when we get it back in the water this summer. Being new to full inboards we had thought at first that maybe it was the exhaust that was causing it to move forward all the time, but now we are wondering about the tranny. Just wondered if anyone else had this type of problem before. Hoping it's just some kind of adjustment but the noisy bearing sound in there every once in a while worries me.

pram
05-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Sounds like your clutch pack is sticking. You can try to change the trans oil a few times, change it, run it, change it, run it, change it. That might help, I did it in my Supreme 2 years ago and it fixed it.

On a side note don't allow the prop to turn though if it is dry as I believe you will wreck your strut bearing.

parrish1
05-09-2007, 07:41 PM
had the same issue with a 01 209. You could stop the shaft from spinning by hand but in nuetral it would go forward in the water. Be careful if you try to stop it while its running but if you can then it will most likely resolve itself after some fluid changes and some use. I was told by mastercraft mechanic that this is not that unusual and it only happens if shaft is aligned very well and strut bearings are free and possibly worn to the point that they may need replacement. I dont think it is a tranny problem but worst case is that plates are sticky--due to incorrect fluid or overheated at some time.

Slinkyredfoot
05-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I checked the troubleshooting chart in my 79 Velvet Drive and it vague at addressing this problem. Have you looked to see that the linkage is actually kicking the tranny into neutral when the throttle lever is in the neutral position? Everything my manual states in the troubleshooting sections states a control linkage is improperly adjusted, not saying this is the cure, just saying with my boat, it always seems it may be the simpliest thing...

PsychoatLarge
05-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Hey thanks for all the good advice. I'll be putting the boat back in the water this weekend. I'll change the tranny fluid out first, with ATF, (that's the concensus for this tranny right?) and try and check the linkage adjustment too but I'm not sure I'll know what it's supposed to do in neutral since the boat is new to me. Hopefully changing the fluid and checking the adjustments will straighten it out. If not, a Mastercraft that won't idle in neutral is still better than any of the other boats I've had that did. :)