PDA

View Full Version : Help!

OSUspenc99
05-09-2007, 01:21 PM
So i fired up the boat last night for the first time in the driveway. I went about it by disconnecting the hose from the hull, putting the hose in a 5 gallon bucket, turned on the hose from the house and fired it up. Took some time to fire but got it going. I ran the boat for about 2 minutes this way and noticed that water was really only coming out of one exhaust in the back. Then I look in the boat and i have just a very small amount of water towards the back right under the transmission area.

Do you guys think that I am dealing with an exhaust leak somewhere or am i really over freakin out about nothing here? I have been worried ever since someone said they about lost the boat due to backfiring and water gushing in. My boat has not backfired for about 2 years now but when i first got it would every once in a while til i rebuilt the carb.

Please just let me know what you think. I really want to go out saturday but kinda worried now...Please help!

wesgardner
05-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Is your boat set up with "REAL" dual exhaust or is there a common muffler across the stern of the boat and because the trailer wasn't sitting level, the water/exhaust favors the "low" pipe? Of course it is VERY possible that you have a small exhaust leak or is/was that small accumulation of water a result of your hose-in-the-bucket scenario? I think you'll need further exploration....

I've certainly heard of boats backfiring and becoming "hydrolocked" where water is ingested into the engine whereupon a cylinder tries to compress the water and bends/breaks a rod (or sim.)...I've not heard of water gushing in but as we all know, there are a myriad or plethora of ways for water to get into a fiberglass boat...all ya'll who thought fiberglass boats don't leak...SURPRISE!

Seriously, I'd dry up all the water in the boat, be certain you don't splash any in from the hose/bucket and do another run-test...maybe also feel each exhaust riser to see if they are equally warm...Report back what you find...

jraben8
05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Could have there been some draining out of the right side exhaust manifold pitcock (that may not have been closed)?

Mark B
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I think youre just freakin. If it was an exhaust leak, you would have heard it most likely. You do need to find that water leak though.

1. Are the stopcocks closed all the way on the block and the tranny cooler?
2. If the boat is not level, the water may only come out one side, but you should make sure it will come out of the other. Hook your hose up to it without the bucket, and put a little pressure behind it, and it should come out both sides. Or you can intentionally tilt it the other way, and it should come out the other side.
3. go ahead and put a new impeller in it. If your old one looks ok, keep it for a spare.
4. I like to run mine long enough to let the thermostat open up since it's been closed for so long and keep an eye on the temp gauge. You can do this while you look for where the water is coming from. Hopefully not a freeze plug.

OSUspenc99
05-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey all....this might be a stupid question but please bear with me. What are the pitcocks and stopcocks...I am sure i know what they are just prob. never knew what they were called.

vogelm1
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Petcocks are the little brass "plugs" that go into the block that allow you to drain water from it during winterizing, etc. I just have a brass plug in mine, but some have little wings on them that you can open up to let the water drain. They are also found on the exhaust manifolds to drain water from them.

Slinkyredfoot
05-09-2007, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=OSUspenc99]Hey all....this might be a stupid question but please bear with me. What are the pitcocks and stopcocks...I am sure i know what they are just prob. never knew what they were called.

Always be careful about reinstalling these petcocks, over torqueing will lead to stripped threads

OSUspenc99
05-10-2007, 09:12 AM
That is what I thought you guys were talking about just didnt know the proper name for them. I am going to check things out tonight. I will let you know what I find.

milkmania
05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
also note....
there is a drain valve at the bottom center of the "muffler"

you want to make sure it's plugged

atlfootr
05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
So i fired up the boat last night for the first time in the driveway.

Do you guys think that I am dealing with an exhaust leak somewhere or am i really over freakin out about nothing here?

My boat has not backfired for about 2 years now but when i first got it would every once in a while til i rebuilt the carb, kinda worried now :( Please help!Thank GOD, I own an Outboard! :)