PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Problems

BX3
05-09-2007, 12:49 PM
I know this has been talked about at length but I am having trouble with a 1999 SS open bow 5.7ltbi. My fuel gauge is pegged whether the ignition is on or not. I have disconnected both the gauge plug and the sending unit plug and the gauge still is pegged. Is there some way of testing the gauge or the sending unit without pulling it out. Does the fuel gauge normally max out when not connected to anything?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Romanod
05-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Cut the leads at the tank sender and short the wires from the gage. The gage should go to full and empty when open. The gage is bad or the wires are shorted if it does not operate in this matter. I put quick connectors on the wires after I cut them so I can connect them to test the gage.
I had a problem with the magnet falling off the sender float and not reading correctly. I made a 2 copper staples to hold the magnet in place on the foam float placed on bottom and side and it worked.

Dave

BX3
05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks Romanod. The sending unit it not a float design as far as I can tell. It has a tube in the tank from the electrics of the sending unit. I can see no moving parts. I could be wrong however. I noticed the gauge does not move period no matter what I do. It is pegged past the full mark always. The sending unit is mfgr. centroid products. It seems to work off of a coil type spring design reading the resistance between the spring windings and the fuel. This design seems similiar to what would be in a regular GM vehicle gas tank.