PDA

View Full Version : Replacing carpet on my bunks, need info.

boatless
05-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Well, I am in a process of replacing carpets on my boatlift bunks. What do you guy use to attach carpet to the wood ? I was thinking of stapling but should I be using stainless steel staples ? Do you use nails, screws, or staples ? Please post some detail info of the process. :D

boatless.

puck_11
05-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Haven't done it myself, but read about it plenty of times on here. Use stainless steel staples. Put one layer of carpet on top of the bunk, then put another layer over it and staple it down. I'm not sure if they glue the first layer down or staple it.

sanjuan23
05-09-2007, 11:12 AM
On my trailer bunks I laid the first layer of carpet around the top and sides using some spray adhesive and stainless steel staples on the outside sides of the bunks. Then wrapped all the way around with the 2nd layer and ss staples at the bottom.

shepherd
05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I used a combination of adhesive (Marine Goop, but any other waterproof adhesive will work) and stainless steel staples. Don't use anything but stainless.

I cut each piece of carpet roughly to length, spread the adhesive on the underside, laid the bunk on top of it, folded the carpet over the bunk, and stapled only along the edges, close to the outer edge of the bunk. I then trimmed the excess with a utility knife. I trimmed the carpet on the bottom of the bunks so that bare wood was all that met the trailer's support beam, i.e., there was no carpet between the bunk and the steel beam when installed. I figured it would give a tighter fit when the bunk was bolted on and would allow the wood to "breathe" better and dry quicker.

The hardest part was folding the ends over and stapling and trimming them so they looked nice. I repeated the same process with the second layer of carpet for each bunk - just glued it directly to the first layer.

boatless
05-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks guy for getting back with lots of info. Can I lay my new carpet over the old one ?

boatless.

shepherd
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks guy for getting back with lots of info. Can I lay my new carpet over the old one ?

boatless.

I kept the old under layer of carpet because it was still in decent shape and wouldn't show anyways. I removed the outer layer though. I actually removed the under layer too, but reused it on my new bunks.

boatless
05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I kept the old under layer of carpet because it was still in decent shape and wouldn't show anyways. I removed the outer layer though. I actually removed the under layer too, but reused it on my new bunks.

Thanks, I probably do that. What size and type of stainless steel staples do you use and where do you get it ? Can the staples alone hold the carpets inplace ?

boatless.

shepherd
05-09-2007, 02:39 PM
I used 1/2" staples. Got them at the local hardware store. The staples will only hold the edges of the carpet in place, but the glue will keep it from shifting around and rubbing/abrading against the bunk or other piece of carpet.

jimmer2880
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I use very short galvanized or aluminum roofing nails. They seem to hold up much better than staples, but don't look quite as nice.

boatless
05-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I use very short galvanized or aluminum roofing nails. They seem to hold up much better than staples, but don't look quite as nice.

I am thinking about doing that also, and hoping that it would holds better.

boatless.

yippikaiyay
05-09-2007, 07:52 PM
I used the 1/2" stainless staples on mine last year. Worked well.

Slinkyredfoot
05-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I used Stainless Steel staples, and the results have been great....

boatless
05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Well, I almost giving up. I just could not find stainless steel staples any where. Lowel, Mannards, West Marine, small hardware store, all are notta. Where do I find it ? Any idea ?

boatless.

jimmer2880
05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, I almost giving up. I just could not find stainless steel staples any where. Lowel, Mannards, West Marine, small hardware store, all are notta. Where do I find it ? Any idea ?

boatless.

Along with that, if anyone knows where I can find some for an 18ga air stapler, I'd love to know where. I need to re-carpet my bunks this year as well & would love to use SS staples over the roofing nails (They just look better)

east tx skier
05-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Haven't done it myself, but read about it plenty of times on here. Use stainless steel staples. Put one layer of carpet on top of the bunk, then put another layer over it and staple it down. I'm not sure if they glue the first layer down or staple it.

This is exactly what I did and it has bee rock solid. No glue necessary. Used the Olefin marine carpet from Lowe's or Home Depot. Cheap and easy.

milkmania
05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Along with that, if anyone knows where I can find some for an 18ga air stapler, I'd love to know where. I need to re-carpet my bunks this year as well & would love to use SS staples over the roofing nails (They just look better)
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=stapler&Submit=Go

note: 3 pages

10,000 22 gauge SS staples here
http://cgi.ebay.com/22-GA-Stainless-Steel-Staples-x-3-8-CROWN-C-Series_W0QQitemZ7516036606QQcmdZViewItem

JohnnyB
05-13-2007, 11:01 AM
When it comes to Stainless Steel fasteners of any type, I go to my local Fastenal distributor. Depending on the distributor, some will only sell minimum quantities and have a minimum order amount. However, the guys at my local one are boaters, too. Get them talkin' about their boats and they'll sell you the store :D