PDA

View Full Version : Darn I feel stupid!

Monte
05-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I was in a rush to get the ole girl out. When I dipped her, I realized The main battery was dead. Easy enough.. Disconnect Aux battery. Hook up to main terminals.. Easy enough.. right??

I hooked it up backwards.. Burned up a brand new battery isolator.. $120 mistake...:mad: Thank goodness that is all I burned up:(

Dang I feel stupid..:o

Moral........... NEVER....... EVER rush.

Maybe this should be in the notes to self thread

Now does anybody have a contact for a next day air Battery Isolator?

milkmania
05-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I was in a rush to get the ole girl out. When I dipped her, I realized The main battery was dead. Easy enough.. Disconnect Aux battery. Hook up to main terminals.. Easy enough.. right??

I hooked it up backwards.. Burned up a brand new battery isolator.. $120 mistake...:mad: Thank goodness that is all I burned up:(

jack knifed my utility trailer into my old work truck suburban today during a thunderstorm....

I was rushed:rolleyes:

Monte
05-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Well, I feel a little better.

I just cannot believe it, I... in my own head even double checked....

RexDog1
05-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Monte

Look on the bright side, it could have caught fire …………..OR?
It could have blown up on you????

Keep safe my friend… :toast:

FlatBoard
05-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Man that really sucks.. I think we all have had our bad days.

I just installed a perko switch. Kinda like a manual isolator.. I have been told not to turn the switch while running or I could do the same. good luck in finding a new part.

Monte
05-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Monte

Look on the bright side, it could have caught fire …………..OR?
It could have blown up on you????

Keep safe my friend… :toast:

That is one bright side!! Thanks RD I could be as charred as the innards of my Isolator..:rolleyes:

betsy&david Harrison
05-08-2007, 11:30 PM
There There Monte72, we still love you and you can stay on TT even if you did mess up your MC.

ttu
05-08-2007, 11:35 PM
monty, come on...

you being a insurance agent should have known better than that.

oh well at least you had the plug in:D

trust me we all (including this insurance agent) have made mistakes because we are just to excited to get the boat back out.

db

Monte
05-08-2007, 11:42 PM
There There Monte72, we still love you and you can stay on TT even if you did mess up your MC.

Not the whole thing, just one little BRAND NEW part, she's running now! #1 can attest, he heard her over the phone!;)

Monte
05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
monty, come on...

trust me we all (including this insurance agent) have made mistakes because we are just to excited to get the boat back out.

db

I can see me explaining THAT to my adjusters and underwriters:o

"but I swear I was sober"

Leroy
05-08-2007, 11:48 PM
I can give you a lot more "Darn I feel stupids" if you want them! Fire involved in this one would have been my luck!

Monte
05-08-2007, 11:52 PM
I can give you a lot more "Darn I feel stupids" if you want them! Fire involved in this one would have been my luck!

Fire away! I just cracked a leftover Corona;)

Leroy
05-09-2007, 12:25 AM
It's hard to know where to start, burned out an alternator connecting jumper cables wrong, tried to pet a skunk one late night thinking it was a kitty cat, dripped big glob of melting/burning plastic on my arm "bombing" ants with the plastic dripping firebombs (still have the scar 37 years later), I've run 2 cycle engines on regular gas, reading a book at the gate and missed my flight, bought 1000 shares of eToys knowing they would not go into bankruptcy....they did, lost a $400 handheld ham radio and did not realize it until months later (never found it), and the list goes on and on, you?

Also as an electrical engineer I can't list the $100-$2000 items I have torn apart and otherwise destroyed, as part of my job. Example, I'm getting ready to order a Dell XPS 410 with ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner for $3-$4k to test and tear apart.

Good thing I had a great friend tell me to just buy the boat I have!

Monte
05-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Also as an electrical engineer I can't list the $100-$2000 items I have torn apart and otherwise destroyed, as part of my job.

Want to play with a battery isolator????:D ;) :rolleyes:

Leroy
05-09-2007, 12:49 AM
If I had it I would bust it up to see what was in there, however, high current devices are not my thing but we have guys at work worried about blowing up high capacity batteries in users hands!

However I did just take apart my son's gen 4 ipod tonight and think it has a bad HDD.

Ryan27r
05-09-2007, 12:50 AM
That was funny

tex
05-09-2007, 12:51 AM
At least you remembered the plug!

Monte
05-09-2007, 12:53 AM
If I had it I would bust it up to see what was in there, however, high current devices are not my thing but we have guys at work worried about blowing up high capacity batteries in users hands!

However I did just take apart my son's gen 4 ipod tonight and think it has a bad HDD.

Bust the heck out of it I've already burned it somebody needs to get some enjoyment out of it. It WAS $120.:rolleyes:

I'm glad you know what an HDD is! Cause I sure as heck don't:)

Monte
05-09-2007, 12:56 AM
At least you remembered the plug!

Oh, That is another story! not nearly as costly though, I just knew The wake was too good to be NATURAL..........:rolleyes:

Leroy
05-09-2007, 01:14 AM
That one was a given! I barely made it off the trailer when.......why is the bilge coming on?

Sorry, HDD, hard disk drive what stores the music in the IPOD.

Oh, That is another story! not nearly as costly though, I just knew The wake was too good to be NATURAL..........:rolleyes:

pilot02
05-09-2007, 03:42 AM
You did claim it didn"t ya!! ummm burnt wiring harness amps speakers etc>>>>
monty, come on...

db

Monte
05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
You did claim it didn"t ya!! ummm burnt wiring harness amps speakers etc>>>>

Ded is higher... Now, had I caught it on fire:confused: :o

lassy
05-09-2007, 09:50 AM
i had a stupid moment the other day.....after dropping the boat in i pulled the trailer out to park it like any other day, but for some reason i got a little too close to a small set of stairs and i clipped the handrail with the fender of the trailer.....DOH

it marked up the fender and ripped the side light off. luckily nobody saw it and i didn't mess the stairs up...well...not really bad...just pulled the handrail out from the stairs a bit.....i need to go back and fix it

TX.X-30 fan
05-09-2007, 10:36 AM
First time out this year, never used transom tie-downs before this year. Man this boat is stuck to the trailer. OOPS. :( :rolleyes:

milkmania
05-09-2007, 11:09 AM
i had a stupid moment the other day.....after dropping the boat in i pulled the trailer out to park it like any other day, but for some reason i got a little too close to a small set of stairs and i clipped the handrail with the fender of the trailer.....DOH

it marked up the fender and ripped the side light off. luckily nobody saw it and i didn't mess the stairs up...well...not really bad...just pulled the handrail out from the stairs a bit.....i need to go back and fix it

pfft!

that ain't nothing!
I cut the corner short pulling into the baseball field's gates....
sun was in my mirror (along with the fact that I forgot the trailer was back there)

the sun got out of my mirror just in time for me to see the boat's trailer 3 feet in the air, riding across the top of the gates corner post:o

Thrall
05-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Don't feel too bad. At least your boat elctronics were protected by the battery isolator.
Previous owner of my boat hooked up the battery backwards and fried nearly every electrical component in the boat. $4500 later he got it back from the MC dealer good as new.
Believe me, even though I think I'm mechanically inclined, I always double check now. Even bought red and black post connectors for the cables so I have a visual!

boyd
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
speaking of batteries. I've never felt comfortable with my battery 3" away from the fuel tank. Have any of you guys felt the same and re-routed the battery to the front. 91 prostar

boyd

Slinkyredfoot
05-09-2007, 10:50 PM

I feel stupid all the time Monte, don't be so hard on yourself...