PDA

View Full Version : Any Allergy Experts Out There?

DrNautica
05-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I have been allergic to dogs for as long as I can remember even though my family always had dogs in the house throughout my childhood. Contact with their saliva produces nearly instantaneous welts that itch like the devil. If I'm in an enclosed are (like a house) with a dog for an extended period, even though I may not have direct contact, my neck starts to break out into a rash, I can "feel it" in my nasal passages, my eyes and my throat feels like it is constricting.

OK, I know I'm allergic. BTW, cats do not bother me in the least.

Here's my dilemma; I LOVE dogs. We've been without a dog since my wife's dog died almost 13 years ago. Last week, someone dumped a 3-5 year old Beagle/Pug mix into a neighbor's fenced back yard and that neighbor just let it out. It took my 13 year old (who loves dogs more than life) 4 hours to coax the pooch into getting close enough to get hold of. Long story short, we once agian have a dog - and the allergy symptoms are cropping up. Getting rid of the dog is not a great option because I really don't wnat to break my 13 year old's heart or my wife's for that matter who has adopted the hound with the fervor as if she had born the mutt herself. (He is quite a cute dog and he is totally a great houseguest. No issues - period. Except the allergy thing.

My question: Is there some medicine that would be truly effective at suppressing my allergy symptoms? Over the counter or prescription? Oral or injected?

Any help or advice? If it comes down to finding another home for "George" I might as well move into the doghouse myself.

Andyg
05-08-2007, 09:31 PM
That is a pretty cute little puppy. It is amazing how short of a time it takes to develop such a strong attachment to those little guys.

My wife used to sell Allegra which is an allergy medicine. Her father was allergic to dog dander and as long as he took some of the wife's Allegra samples he would be fine. I believe Allegra is only available via a perscription still, but Clariton (sp?) may is available over the counter and may work for you also. I would start with that and see if it helps. If it doesn't go to the Dr. and see if you can get a prescription allergy medication. Some allergy medications work better for people vs others. It may take a couple different trials before you get one that works for you. Good Luck.

Maristar210
05-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Dr.

I love the flexibility you have. See the post above mine and good luck. Other than being A DOG LOVER, I got nothin....:rolleyes:

milkmania
05-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Used to work with a guy nicknamed "Bee Pollen" because he swore by the stuff

1/4 way down the page here http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/bee.htm

betsy&david Harrison
05-08-2007, 09:41 PM
I have had to deal with allergies for the past 15 years now. They came out of nowhere. I started out with Claritin...system got used to it. I am now on Allegra 180's and I get a flare up once in a blue moon. I also have to use nasal sprays. I have two..Nasonex and Astelin. I also use a saline solution called Ocean. I am sure you have heard of it. Anyway, a combo of the drugs works great. I can't go a day without the Allegra but I can pretty much pick and choose the days on the sprays. Good luck cuz I know how bad it can be.

LakePirate
05-08-2007, 09:51 PM
A buddy of mine finally gave in and got a dog. His wife was volunteering at the shelters, he didn't have much of a choice. What he does is visit the allergist once a week for a shot. Makes his live bearable. As intense as your allergy sounds this may be an option for you.

LakePirate
05-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh good for you for taking in a stray.

You Rock! :headbang:

DrNautica
05-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Well, I have a doctors appointment for next Thursday.

I'll let you know what she says. BTW, she is about 28 and has one of those tatoo thingy's just above her a** crack (I saw that on my last trip when she dropped the papers from her clipboard on the way out of the exam room.)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Oh good for you for taking in a stray.

You Rock! :headbang:
TRU DAT! Lakey is right! you da man for taking in a stray pup! I am so glad I adopted a dog in need of a home. Dogs Rule! they rule!!!:D

Good luck wiht your allergies my friend! oh yea, and ....uh....your allergist chick with the tattoo? is she hot? and single? ;)

atlfootr
05-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Your sitt'n in a tuff spot, you got a cute pup so good luck w/ your delima :o

tex
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm allergic to non-alcoholic drinks, jet skis, and rude people.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm allergic to non-alcoholic drinks, jet skis, and rude people.
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme Rock on Tex!:D

I am allergic to wind, waves, and not finding a boat driver.

vegashomeexpert
05-10-2007, 11:04 AM
I have been going through imuno-therapy for almost 2 years. Prior, I was allergic to just about everything pet, plant, dust related. Clariton worked for a week and then didn't. Since I started my weekly regimin of shots, I take zyrtec & singlulair. Zyrtec was daily and is now as needed. Singulair is daily. I don't know if it is the drugs or the imuno-therapy is working, but I rarely have any signs of alergies anymore and I used to suffer everyday (my doctor said I was "allergic to life":mad: ). With the imuno-therapy, the plan is that within a year (it takes 2-3 years), I will no longer have allergies and won't need any medicine. Basically, every week I get pumped up with stronger and stronger doses of those things I am alergic to. My body says, "thats not so bad" and eventially it won't try and fight the allergins any more.

Leroy
05-10-2007, 11:46 AM
I use Nasonex and it works great. You can also use hydrogen peroxide to boil out your ears and that will cut down on sinus infections. This has helped me more than anything.

This past winter was my 3rd year of no antibiotics and normally I get allergy problem, that goes to sinus infection and then ears stopped up and then antibiotics to get well. Now I can tell early phases and use Nasonex and my wife can smell my ears and tell if I need to use H2O2.

Not sure if that will work for dog allergic reaction.

Ole Miss Rebels
05-10-2007, 11:49 AM
how bad is that? when i ride i take a beating for the next three days.

i use zyrtec and flonase in the morning, allegra and astelin at bedtime, also, and most impostantly i use a sinus rinse suggested by my doctor. it really helps wash our all the crud. it is a simple squirt bottle. i use a half of a teaspoonf o a granular mixture comprised of 1/4 baking soda and 3/4 non-iodized kosher salt (ice-cream salt) mixed with four ounces of warm water. i do it in the shower and blow all of the gunk out in there. it can be a messy procedure. i also take it on the boat with me and shoot one squirt before and after each ride. keeps the allergens from just sitting there taking root to my sinuses. good luck.