PDA

View Full Version : GMC Acadia

Ryan
05-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Anyone have one? Anyone towing with one?

The V6 should do just fine for me towing in flat OH with a tow rating up to 5k. It's new to my list of vehicles to shop once the move is done.

I test drove one a few weeks ago and wasn't disapointed, but wasn't riveted. A 5.3 would be much better - but no V8s are planned until the 08 or 09 Denali version.

Ryan
05-08-2007, 07:18 PM
And while the 2nd row seats are pretty clever in their design, I wonder how well they'll hold up.

dwvktm450
05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
My wife has over 2,000 miles on hers now and loves it. We have no complaints so far. I am very hesitant to buy a first model year, but made the buy anyway.

Just make sure you order one with the tow package. It comes with a transmission cooler and tow/haul button. The dealer will put a hitch on for you, but it will not have the button to push for towing. I think it really saves a transmission on smaller vehicles.

We are not using this vehicle to tow, but I would not hesitate to tow short distances with it. I would not tow anything more than a small prostar 197/209 for a long time. That is just my opinion. I do not like to max out a vehicle's tow ratings.

shellabargerj
05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Good to know someone else is considering one. My wife and I want one to pull our boat (very light - 78 stars and stripes) and for her to drive around town for work.

We loved the Saturn Outlook we drove, but are also considering the Acadia and maybe the Buick Enclave - although the Enclave looks like it would have some rear visibility problems.

Glad to have your advice as to the towing package instead of the dealer-installed hitch. having the transmission cooler and the stuff integrated from the factory does sound like a good idea on a vehicle such as this one.

I'm interested to hear from others that have one, or similar. I guess we're also considering a Ford Explorer or a Toyota 4Runner.

Ryan
05-09-2007, 10:23 AM
I usually like to have double the tow capicity in my tow vehicle. However, saving on mpg will help a lot this summer. dwvktm450, what kind of real world mileage are you seeing? I know this is vehicle is quite heavy which may leave that V6 working hard. I currently have a 4Runner with a sweet V8 and great tranny and get 15.2 mpg.

Monte
05-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I usually like to have double the tow capicity in my tow vehicle. However, saving on mpg will help a lot this summer. dwvktm450, what kind of real world mileage are you seeing? I know this is vehicle is quite heavy which may leave that V6 working hard. I currently have a 4Runner with a sweet V8 and great tranny and get 15.2 mpg.

Ryan,
We have an 02 GMC Envoy, which is the exact same vehicle, just a different name. It pulls the boat very well, (heavy boat 86 tristar 220) I'm not going to say you can't tell it is back there, but it does the job. It has given us very good service. I have 87k on it right now. No complaints.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-09-2007, 12:09 PM
I have to ask something because I haven't looked at them yet. Does anyone know if it has those headlights that turn when the vehicle does? In the picture it appears they may.

Ryan
05-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Ryan,
We have an 02 GMC Envoy, which is the exact same vehicle, just a different name. It pulls the boat very well, (heavy boat 86 tristar 220) I'm not going to say you can't tell it is back there, but it does the job. It has given us very good service. I have 87k on it right now. No complaints.

It's actually a whole new vehicle. Well sort of, it's on the shared Lambda platform. Yours is rear drive with a 4.3 - 4spd, the Acadia is the size of a Yukon, shorter, with a 3.6 V6 - 6 spd front wheel drive. Unfortunately the Acadia is down by about 20 in HP and Torque compared to the Envoy. The 6 speed tranny helped it seem about equal from my seat of the pants driving though. However, I felt like the Acadia wanted to gear hunt just a little around the 35-40mph range.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I've driven the 7 speed autos, and they seem to get "confused" in that range as well. Hey, what can we expect, its the future.....;)

Ryan
05-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I've driven the 7 speed autos, and they seem to get "confused" in that range as well. Hey, what can we expect, its the future.....;)

True, true. I just wonder how much it would gear hunt when towing - I need to find a dealer that will let me do a 24 hr test drive.

uawaterskier
05-09-2007, 04:12 PM
True, true. I just wonder how much it would gear hunt when towing - I need to find a dealer that will let me do a 24 hr test drive.
"ummm yeah the tranny is kinda slipping in this one":D

tones03
05-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I have to ask something because I haven't looked at them yet. Does anyone know if it has those headlights that turn when the vehicle does? In the picture it appears they may.
That is an option in the Buick Enclave, none of the others have turning headlights.

dwvktm450
05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Ryan: the last time I looked she was getting around 20 doing all kinds of driving around town. I will try to remember to check tonight.

As for the shifting while towing. This is one of the reasons I recommended the dealer installed tow package. The Tow/Haul button affects the shift points. I know some of you probably have late model trucks and SUVs with this option. The button usually keeps the truck from shifting into overdrive too often while towing. It also keeps the engine in the meat of the power when you need it. Ex: traveling around 45mph it will hold a higher rpm instead of shifting up, allowing you to accelerate easily without a downshift when grandma finally gets out of your way.
My Acadia does not have this option. I only assume it does the same thing as all other GM vehicles. If I was ordering one I definitely would get the option.

6ballsisall
05-09-2007, 11:00 PM
I was really trying to encourage the wifey to get this instead of the new Tahoe. In the end, she just felt the Hoe was a little better fit for us. Ironically, the fuel mileage between the two vehicles is negligable at best.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-10-2007, 08:59 PM
That is an option in the Buick Enclave, none of the others have turning headlights.
Good, The car I drove has had many problems with that system. I am not a fan. LEAVE TUCKERS IDEA ALONE!!!!;)

Ryan,
I saw one flying down the road today. Noticed something, 4 tail pipes...:D I like it!!! Could use a couple flowmasters though:rolleyes:

Ryan
06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
BUMP - anyone else buy one?

Sodar
06-08-2007, 01:12 PM
BUMP - anyone else buy one?

Bump... Save your money and buy a PS 197!! You have an email about that there 197 too!! ;)

Ryan
06-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Bump... Save your money and buy a PS 197!! You have an email about that there 197 too!! ;)
Thanks!

Hey let's start a rumor that I'm buying yours. ;)

Sodar
06-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks!

Hey let's start a rumor that I'm buying yours. ;)

No rumor about it... I need to unload mine quick, so I can get into the lovely SoCal housing market!

Leroy
06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Isn't this really a blazer replacement?

If so, after renting many different 4x4's to drive in the snow the Blazer (and other GM derivatives) were on the bottom of my list for snow performance. Hopefully this vehicle has better slippery road performance.

tones03
06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
It is fwd or awd and some car magazine tested it in the snow an awd version and it did the best out of all the cars, including a landrover.

Leroy
06-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Sounds good. I like the looks of it.

Ryan
06-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Isn't this really a blazer replacement?

If so, after renting many different 4x4's to drive in the snow the Blazer (and other GM derivatives) were on the bottom of my list for snow performance. Hopefully this vehicle has better slippery road performance.

Not sure. It's roomier than a Tahoe, though it is not as good of a tower as the TrailBlazer. Isn't snow traction really a funtion of the tires though.

Plus, what do I need snow traction for? It doesn't snow in OH does it? ;)

Footin
05-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Revival of an old thread. Anyone towing with an Acadia/Enclave/Traverse?

clrussell
05-26-2014, 09:52 PM
I didn't read this whole thread, in fact I've read just the last post so I'm not really sure what it's about. However Acadias are problematic.. At least when they get low on oil... Not bashing anyone that has on, just throwing that out there. I'm a mechanic, and I personally would never even think about owning one.

Double D
05-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Revival of an old thread. Anyone towing with an Acadia/Enclave/Traverse?

My wife had a Traverse for 4 years, with a tow package, and I never once considered using it to tow my 205. Mainly because the transmission seemed lazy... We never had any issues with the tranny but it wouldn't stick on hills, and just didn't seem toight!! :D Besides the fact that my trailer doesn't have brakes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu31VyXlTzo

Hammer
05-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Wr had the outlook with the factory tow package. Trans broke under warranty. After towing our prosrar just a few times. When it stayed to go the second time we traded it in. I do not recommend it as a tow vehicle. Though power and stopping were fine, the trans is just not cut out for it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zsqure
05-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Don't know if this will help or hurt, but my mom has an '07 Enclave that needed a trans at 65k spring of '13. Never towed anything. It sits in the garage and they drive the X5D now.
Oh, the '09 Bimmer, it's toight! The Barge Enclave is all over the road. :(

Bohmer410
05-27-2014, 10:53 PM
We leased Traverse AWD with factory tow package, it pulled our PS190 just fine, but now we have a X30. It pulls it good enough to go a couple miles to the ramp. We have upgraded the trailer brakes and added a transmission cooler. The good thing about leasing is under warranty until it goes back. They have a transaxle which heats up quickly while towing.

Before people complain, I had it weighed and I'm under the 5,200 towing capacity. So I'm legal.

Double D
05-27-2014, 11:16 PM
We leased Traverse AWD with factory tow package, it pulled our PS190 just fine, but now we have a X30. It pulls it good enough to go a couple miles to the ramp. We have upgraded the trailer brakes and added a transmission cooler. The good thing about leasing is under warranty until it goes back. They have a transaxle which heats up quickly while towing.

Before people complain, I had it weighed and I'm under the 5,200 towing capacity. So I'm legal.

AWD helps I bet. Be careful with the lease thing. When we turned in our traverse that was one of the questions they ask, if we ever towed with it..

skps190
05-28-2014, 07:11 PM
AWD helps I bet. Be careful with the lease thing. When we turned in our traverse that was one of the questions they ask, if we ever towed with it..

Interesting that they asked if you ever towed with it. I'm a Finance Manager at a Buick GMC dealer and the only questions we ask is if it has ever been damaged and if so how much did the repair cost.

I leased a '14 Acadia Denali for my wife and while we haven't towed with it I wouldn't hesitate at all, that's the beauty of leasing.