PDA

View Full Version : fogging oil

sand2snow22
05-08-2007, 01:53 PM
The weather has cleared long enough to put the boat in the water(2005 MCX). I didn't notice any burning off of the fogging oil. Last year you could see oil burning off, this year I couldn't see anything. Even after she was a little warm and revving? Does this mean the dealer could have missed fogging my motor?

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 02:21 PM
The weather has cleared long enough to put the boat in the water(2005 MCX). I didn't notice any burning off of the fogging oil. Last year you could see oil burning off, this year I couldn't see anything. Even after she was a little warm and revving? Does this mean the dealer could have missed fogging my motor?

How would anybody know?
Now, you will never know and if you asked the people who winterized it if they forgot to fog it, do you think they would say yes?

sand2snow22
05-08-2007, 03:05 PM
How would anybody know?
Now, you will never know and if you asked the people who winterized it if they forgot to fog it, do you think they would say yes?

I understand that, just wondering if those more experienced might know my symptoms better than me. I thought I smelled a little oil for a brief moment, but it could have been rich gas, too? In those more experienced than me, do you usually see the fogging oil burned off or not?

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Most engines cranked after a down period will smoke for a few moments, if not from the fogging, but from the dry start. As long as it doesn't continue, you should be fine, our '89 does it every spring, but it goes away after a few minutes as everything oils up and gets burned off.

vogelm1
05-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Could be they missed it...sounds like it anyway. My friend has a dealer winterize his every year and it always blows a plume of white smoke at the very first start up for the season. Mine does too (I winterize myself). There are plenty of threads to search here if you every decide to try winterizing yourself. It's not that difficult at all and will save you some clams over the long haul. Kinda fun to have that as a 'ritual' for putting the boat away for winter if you live in northern climate.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-08-2007, 09:17 PM
I think how much smoke you see depends on how much oil went in during the fogging. I do my own winterizing and get some smoke on the initial start-up. About the same as when I am pouring in the oil to do the fogging. Last year I helped a friend who had a marina winterize and his boat just belched all kinds of thick smoke......figured they must have really loaded it up.

sand2snow22
05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. My dealer is always pretty busy, #4 in the nation I believe. I think this is the last year of my warranty and I'll probably start maintaining the boat myself.