PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tiedowns

OSUspenc99
05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Hello all,

Just wanted to see if anyone has a good way to tie down the back of the boat. I was just tossing a ratchet strap over the back a couple times but i didnt like that so then i tied it through the back tiedowns by the platform. I just re-worked my platform and was thinking of getting just 2 transom tiedowns but dont want to mess up the teak.

Just wanted to see maybe what some of you others are doing.

Thanks in advance.

PS....my boat is a 85 S&S

JKTX21
05-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I rarely tie the back of my boat down. I only do it when I trailer more than 10 miles and anticipate bad / bouncy roads. I've never seen my boat bounce off the bunks when not strapped down, so who knows.

I use the rear lifting rings and strap the boat to the trailer when I do tie it down.

east tx skier
05-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Ratchet strap over the back with padding where it contacts the deck. It's enough to keep the boat from shifting and bouncing on the trailer (follow one down the highway sometime; they will move around if not secured).

But I don't know of any strap that's going to keep boat on trailer if things go horribly, horribly wrong, and the boat becomes inverted.

Evan Jones
05-08-2007, 11:56 AM
That strap looks like it's over the fenders...what is it secured to ?

east tx skier
05-08-2007, 11:59 AM
That strap looks like it's over the fenders...what is it secured to ?

The eyelits on the fenders (checked and they are secured by a steel backing plate).

M-Funf
05-08-2007, 12:32 PM
I use the same method as ETS. I've got some 2" wide web straps with a tensioner. I hook the ends to the channel of the trailer (still need to install some kind of hooks) and place rags over the gunnels to protect them. I don't tension it too much.

The previous owner, who owned the boat for about 15 years, never tied it down, and never had any problems. But he only towed it to a local lake that was maybe 10 miles.

Thrall
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I put a 1" ratchet strap from each of the rear lifting eyes down to the trailer. Keep the ratchet end down by the trailer and slip the other end up between the platform and transom. The straps rub the upper part of the transom, but are tight to it and doesn't scratch.
After the 2nd time I towed it to the lake and a friend following me told me how many times it bounced around, I strap the rear down whenever I take it on the highway.

'02xrider
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I'll second the ratchet strap from the trailer to the lift eyes. Got mine at Overtons. They attach to the trailer and are always there. Very handy and easy to use.

Ryan
05-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I just wish MC would have positioned the rear ubolts like this. Then we could all use normal tiedowns w/o jeopordising our platforms. I usually take my platform off and stow it on the starboard side, then use regular tiedowns.

It's crossed my mind to add a pair in a better location, but I will not like the look the better function would bring.

OSUspenc99
05-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks all for the response so far. I have tried it the way that you are doing ryan and it started leaving some marks on the boat. I was using a wet spounge as padding on both sides also. I have towed both ways and like most if I am not going far or on the highway. I recarpeted my bunks at the end of last year and the boat was sliding all around. The only thing that I want is do you think if I welded something on the trailer towards the upper part of the prop gaurd and attached a transom strap to the back lifting eyes that would work? I agree with Ryan as I wishthat mastercraft would have positioned them in a different spot.

Harold,
What is the method behind your madness for rear tiedowns?

rstitson
05-08-2007, 08:37 PM
I questioned my dealer about tie downs. They claim they are not needed... The boat weighs 32xx. So that is what we are trying for now. If I get any shifting I will have to figure something out. The bunks on the master craft are much better than my old boat. Maybe it makes a difference. I don't believe it will take anymore of a beating then bouncing through chop.

sand2snow22
05-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I'll second the ratchet strap from the trailer to the lift eyes. Got mine at Overtons. They attach to the trailer and are always there. Very handy and easy to use.

I'll third it. Handy, and seems to do the job. My dealer told me I didn't need them, after some gel coat spider cracks back there, I got some tie downs and all is good.......Knock on wood.........

JKTX21
05-08-2007, 08:49 PM
When I do tie my boat down, I loop the strap down to the trailer, just above the lights and re-hook it into the lifting eyes (both ends of the strap are hooked to the boat). The eyes on the trailer are in the wrong spot, and I don't want to use the ETS method.

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks all for the response so far. I have tried it the way that you are doing ryan and it started leaving some marks on the boat. I was using a wet spounge as padding on both sides also. I have towed both ways and like most if I am not going far or on the highway. I recarpeted my bunks at the end of last year and the boat was sliding all around. The only thing that I want is do you think if I welded something on the trailer towards the upper part of the prop gaurd and attached a transom strap to the back lifting eyes that would work? I agree with Ryan as I wishthat mastercraft would have positioned them in a different spot.

Harold,
What is the method behind your madness for rear tiedowns? As I said in your pm answer, I have never used them for 18 years and nearly 30,000 miles of towing, but if I did, I would use the ETS method with a 18"x24" carpet mat folded/rolled and glued together and used under the strap against the fiberglass.

OSUspenc99
05-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the help. I am with sand2snow here because somehow I have gotten spyder cracks on my fenders from the boat sliding around. I will try this and see how it works.

Thanks again

shepherd
05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Wow, you guys must have some rough roads. Like TMCNo1, I've never used straps on my Mastercraft. I did on my sterndrive, but it sat higher up and was on rollers - not bunks - so was less secure. I've never had an issue with the boat shifting on the trailer without tiedowns, including on one 850 mile run from VA to FL, and another 400 mile run from Orlando to Panama City, and several other shorter trips in between.

This was on my old low-profile PS190, which seems to sit pretty securely on the trailer.

Danimal
05-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I have never used tie downs either and I trailered it home from KY to WI when I purchased it. Plus, now I only trailer it about a mile to the lake.

jimmer2880
05-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Once you guys who don't tie yours down follow an inboard (any brand) down a back, twisty road, you'll never tow without a strap again. These things move around quite a bit. Even when you're only doing 5 mph.

Think about how flat the rear of our boats are.... slippery, nicely polished gel coat against carpet. Could it get more slick?

milkmania
05-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Once you guys who don't tie yours down follow an inboard (any brand) down a back, twisty road, you'll never tow without a strap again. These things move around quite a bit. Even when you're only doing 5 mph.

Think about how flat the rear of our boats are.... slippery, nicely polished gel coat against carpet. Could it get more slick?
I follow my boat everytime I go to the lake (60 to 80 minute drive)

(someone pulls the boat, I pull the camper)

have never seen it move without tiedowns

TMCNo1
05-09-2007, 03:00 PM

I was going to CSM tomorrow, but after 18 years and nearly 30,000 miles towing on every kind of road imaginable, I'm scrared to even leave the house now!

jimmer2880
05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
all I'm saying is, I was on the "eh - it's a heavy boat, i'ts not going anywhere" side, until I followed one for a short ride once down a twisty-turney road. That boat was sliding 6-8 inches sideways on every turn.

jimmer2880
05-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I was going to CSM tomorrow, but after 18 years and nearly 30,000 miles towing on every kind of road imaginable, I'm scrared to even leave the house now!

You're right.... You'd better stay home & sell your boat. I'll take it off your hands for you :D

TMCNo1
05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
You're right.... You'd better stay home & sell your boat. I'll take it off your hands for you :D

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Van, boat and all the show/spare stuff, just make the check out to MYMC and put plenty of "0's" in it. I know Mike can get me that '08, Serial #1 of 40, 40th Anniversary ProStar 190 in July.
I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skidog, can we ride with you @ CSM too???????????????????

shepherd
05-09-2007, 07:11 PM

Well there you go... I've never polished the gel coat on the bottom of my boat, nor have I ever put any slippery stuff on the bunks. My boat wouldn't slide off the bunks at the ramp with full reverse power unless it's practically floating off the trailer.

btw, I believe you jimmer. That must be a scary thing to watch.